The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

I don't know anything about that but I'd guess not, considering the fact that he's still employed by the Bruins and any "clandestine" meeting between him and Gilman would be tampering....

Some would argue that such a horrible year for almost the entire roster was a product of poor usage by the coach...

I think that may be oversimplifying things, but I also believe that this team is much better than they showed this season and the coaching staff deserves it's share of the blame for not being able to bring it out.

Injuries certainly played a major part as well, but even with a relatively healthy roster towards the end of the year, the team looked lost. Torts has to take a lot of the responsibility for that...

well that's why it would be clandestine.

that said, it seems pretty unlikely that gilman would try to convince benning to take a job that he wants himself.

well that's why it would be clandestine.

that said, it seems pretty unlikely that gilman would try to convince benning to take a job that he wants himself.

It would also be stupid.

But I agree about Gilman. It makes no sense for him to make that trip. If it did happen, (which I doubt completely) it would have been done by Trevor himself.

A lot of posters are concerned with whether Torts got the best out of the players or whether he is right for the team or the team is right for him, etc.

Does anybody think the players would, or did, play in any way that might have been any sort of attempt to have Torts fired or retained?

With so many players having their worst season, in your opinion, is there any way that anyone intentionally under-performed so that it would reflect poorly on the coach?

Did any players, in your opinion, exceed expectations perhaps trying to back up his coach and help Torts keep his job?

Do you think the players would act like this? Would they collude to try something like this?

more the fact i don't like that Torts is the one losing his job for lazy uninspired players a GM that failed to address the scoring and defense issue so now after 1 coach got fired for the same reasons another coach is getting fired for the exact same reason

and if this happens next year i am sure people will be calling for the new coach to be fired that is the issue

No, at worst if this team performed like it did under AV we would have been a playoff team.

Tortorella lost the room early in the season. Called out guys like Edler, Hamhuis, and Hansen who went on to have horrible seasons.

The guy did exactly what I was afraid he would do which was to come in with guns blazing. That strategy only works if your message is resulting in wins. When a team continues to lose with the coach screaming his lungs out, they tend to tune him out pretty quickly.

Say what you want about AV, but his calm even keeled approach worked with this group. We need another coach that brings that approach.

No, at worst if this team performed like it did under AV we would have been a playoff team.

Tortorella lost the room early in the season. Called out guys like Edler, Hamhuis, and Hansen who went on to have horrible seasons.

The guy did exactly what I was afraid he would do which was to come in with guns blazing. That strategy only works if your message is resulting in wins. When a team continues to lose with the coach screaming his lungs out, they tend to tune him out pretty quickly.

Say what you want about AV, but his calm even keeled approach worked with this group. We need another coach that brings that approach.

Hamhuis had a horrible season? Ok then....

Hamhuis had a horrible season? Ok then....

I guess you have already forgotten about his series of own goals. It's okay, I tend to block those out too.

Points wise he did alright. But he was not the same rock solid presence he normally is.

I guess you have already forgotten about his series of own goals. It's okay, I tend to block those out too.

Points wise he did alright. But he was not the same rock solid presence he normally is.

Actually, Hamhuis started the season dreadfully but then went on the play very well as the season went on. He played well enough to get noticed and earn a spot on the Canadian Olympic squad as well.

Is it really his fault his attempted pass block deflected off him?

And have you forgotten all those 25+ minute nights or his Team Canada invite? Yeah, I tend to block those out as well.

Is it really his fault his attempted pass block deflected off him?

And have you forgotten all those 25+ minute nights or his Team Canada invite? Yeah, I tend to block those out as well.

Hamhuis was brutal at the beginning of last season.(which was very out of character for him..JT called his play 'a dogs breakfast')...Hamhuis himself spoke about his tough start while being interviewed on TV.

AV had this team 1st in G/G and 1st in GA

the next year it dropped to 5th and 4th

the next year it dropped to 19th and 10th

Torts comes into the long list of crap that he had to deal with no depth freak injuries new division and 17 back to backs

drops to 28th and 14th

this was happening before Torts got here and was the reason the Canucks missed the playoffs they still stayed top 15 in GA but the Goal Scoring was vanishing year after year that is on Gillis not Torts and not even AV but the team needed a change

also that yelling at he wasn't always yelling at the players was sorely need as a wake up call for this group that has coasted by winning divisions now they actually have to play a complete game to make the playoffs no more coasting in

again i am not saying Torts didn't screw up but the people pinning this all on him have zero clue about where this team was heading regardless of who coached this team

AV had this team 1st in G/G and 1st in GA

the next year it dropped to 5th and 4th

the next year it dropped to 19th and 10th

Torts comes into the long list of crap that he had to deal with no depth freak injuries new division and 17 back to backs

drops to 28th and 14th

this was happening before Torts got here and was the reason the Canucks missed the playoffs they still stayed top 15 in GA but the Goal Scoring was vanishing year after year that is on Gillis not Torts and not even AV but the team needed a change

also that yelling at he wasn't always yelling at the players was sorely need as a wake up call for this group that has coasted by winning divisions now they actually have to play a complete game to make the playoffs no more coasting in

again i am not saying Torts didn't screw up but the people pinning this all on him have zero clue about where this team was heading regardless of who coached this team

i literally haven't seen a single person on this website pinning all of the blame for this season on tortorella. contrarily, there are a handful of posters who continually and erroneously accuse others of doing just that as they attempt to justify his continued tenure as canucks coach.

i literally haven't seen a single person on this website pinning all of the blame for this season on tortorella. contrarily, there are a handful of posters who continually and erroneously accuse others of doing just that as they attempt to justify his continued tenure as canucks coach.

trying reading before you post and trust me there is plenty more people saying the exact same thing how AV would of made the playoffs and this is all Torts fault so ya there are people blaming Torts for this season

Lol. Don't be so sure about that.

I'm amazed at how many staunch defenders of Tortorella there are on here. There seems to be some rose colored glasses being worn.

There are also thick blindfolds being worn.

Tortorella is the best coach for this team because he's an a$$ kicker and this team needs a great kick in the a$$.

Country Club should be over if Linden wants to win.

Tortorella: "we changed our ways after te Dallas game"

Bieksa: "it got better with time"

Kesler: "best coach I ever played for"

Hank: "he went to bat for us"

It might not be as dark as you may think.

There are also thick blindfolds being worn.

Tortorella is the best coach for this team because he's an a$$ kicker and this team needs a great kick in the a$$.

Country Club should be over if Linden wants to win.

Tortorella: "we changed our ways after te Dallas game"

Bieksa: "it got better with time"

Kesler: "best coach I ever played for"

Hank: "he went to bat for us"

It might not be as dark as you may think.

The "ass kicking" produced what kind of result? LOL

He's gone.

This team has become even more of a circus under Torts this year, and has become a laughingstock and the butt of jokes.

Even across the continent on an off day, our coach can be a punchline. Check out AV's reaction to a cell phone ringing in his post practice presser today starting about 2:05 into the video.

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=606237&startTime=120

We need to get back to having no drama with this team, and that begins with getting rid of Torts.

trying reading before you post and trust me there is plenty more people saying the exact same thing how AV would of made the playoffs and this is all Torts fault so ya there are people blaming Torts for this season

saying vigneault would have made the playoffs, which is very likely the truth, is not the same as blaming everything on tortorella.

The only reason people are defending Torts is because of his little sound bytes where he says everything people want to hear..

He's done nothing as a coach to warrant another season. If this were another coach without the entertainment factor everyone would be calling for his head.

Tortorella is all talk, always has been. Can't believe how naive some people are.

I guess that 5-1 win against Calgary made people forget about how lost this team looked all season, even when they were healthy and had no excuses.

Archived