The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

whats other coach is suitable for the canucks rite now?

That would certainly be the so called "$64.00 question." Other than Barry Trotz (which I would give a resounding NO to) there aren't that many qualified candidates available right now. Gillis certainly had a lot more to choose from when he hired Torts than Linden and or Benning (if that's who ends up as GM) have right now or in the foreseeable future. That fact alone may force Linden/Benning to keep Torts for another year or at least until a more suitable candidate becomes available. Say what you want about Torts, but he is a Stanley Cup winning coach, and coaches with that pedigree don't grow on trees. Simply replacing him for the sake of replacing him doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when the core players have stated that they are OK with another year (or more) with Torts as head coach. Linden/Benning may want to tinker with the support coaching staff a bit, but that might be all you see this year.

:)

That would certainly be the so called "$64.00 question." Other than Barry Trotz (which I would give a resounding NO to) there aren't that many qualified candidates available right now. Gillis certainly had a lot more to choose from when he hired Torts than Linden and or Benning (if that's who ends up as GM) have right now or in the foreseeable future. That fact alone may force Linden/Benning to keep Torts for another year or at least until a more suitable candidate becomes available. Say what you want about Torts, but he is a Stanley Cup winning coach, and coaches with that pedigree don't grow on trees. Simply replacing him for the sake of replacing him doesn't make a lot of sense, especially when the core players have stated that they are OK with another year (or more) with Torts as head coach. Linden/Benning may want to tinker with the support coaching staff a bit, but that might be all you see this year.

why no to trotz? his demeanor would be perfect, and his dedication to fundamentals is right up linden's alley.

and if a guy like mike johnston was interested in coming in as an associate coach to run the offense and power play, i think you're on to something.

No Torts unless he is willing to roll 4 lines.

By my projection, our 4 line next year, when everyone is healthy, should be Mattias, Jensen and Hansen, Or Booth instead of Jensen, depends on who is scoring less goals. Regardless that's a 14 minute / game line.

And Yes Trotz would be great.

I beg to differ. From what was reported today (Farhan Lalji) the core players he spoke to after their interviews with Linden stated they were very matter a fact about the whole thing. No knives and or high 5's. Just the facts so to speak. MOST of the players liked what he brought as far as knowledge, stategy, and hockey sense, but didn't like the drama that went with it. NONE demanded a trade if Torts was brought back, and ALL stated they would be OK playing another year with Torts as coach. Personally, I think the reason that it's taking so long is that it isn't as cut and dried as many thought it was, as there seems to be a genuine process going on here.

They weren't gonna tell Farhan they want Torts gone, even if they want it.

Ian MacIntyre (Vancouver Sun) was on Team 1040 yesterday afternoon. Stated that news from Rogers Arena has been "eerily quiet". Also stated that Team President Trevor Linden has been away this week, (Detroit yesterday I believe he said) talking to other teams, GM's, Assistant GM's, owners, etc., seeking advice on how to proceed and how other teams run their affairs. Basically saying "Hello" to everybody and getting his feet wet so to speak. Assuming he would also be exploring the trade market a bit as well. Ian MacIntyre reiterated what everybody else had heard that the decision on Torts would come sooner than later. He also felt that the decision to fire or retain Torts may very well come from Trevor Linden himself rather than the new GM, given the fact that the new GM may not be hired or even interviewed (officially) until late May - earlier June. (right before the draft) Assuming that Assistant GM Jim Benning from Boston is still the front runner for the Canucks GM position that is.

Ha. This is such a Linden thing to do. Did Gillis do his round when he was hired?

No Torts unless he is willing to roll 4 lines.

By my projection, our 4 line next year, when everyone is healthy, should be Mattias, Jensen and Hansen, Or Booth instead of Jensen, depends on who is scoring less goals. Regardless that's a 14 minute / game line.

And Yes Trotz would be great.

I believe you mean: Higgins, Matthias, Richardson

Booth will be bought out/traded and IMO Hansen is very likely traded as well (if we re-sign Santorelli...which we should).

why no to trotz? his demeanor would be perfect, and his dedication to fundamentals is right up linden's alley.

and if a guy like mike johnston was interested in coming in as an associate coach to run the offense and power play, i think you're on to something.

How many playoffs did Trotz get his team into? How about his great offensive style? Or is it a total defensive style? He's rumored to go to Toronto anyways to replace Carlyle.

Agree with Hansen but I have this feeling Booth is going to be here next season.

Too much money for a third liner IMO. Also taking away a roster spot from youth.

Who does he bump here?

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen/Burrows

UFA/prospect/trade, Kesler, Kassian

Burrows, Horvat, Santorelli

Higgins, Matthias, Richardson

How many playoffs did Trotz get his team into? How about his great offensive style? Or is it a total defensive style? He's rumored to go to Toronto anyways to replace Carlyle.

well he lives in BC, during the summer anyway. If the Canucks job came up, I'm betting he'd take that over TML

When Vigneault started his tenure in Vancouver, he was known as a defensive coach. Then he got the horses and turned the Canucks into the best offensive team in the league.

One should never assume that an NHL coach is only capable of playing one style. The money situation in Nashville more or less forced Trotz into being a defense-first coach. You also have to look at the team's roster. Nashville's third best defenseman left and became the #1 defender for the Canucks. That's a defensively solid roster and it makes sense to build around it.

I like Trotz alot - he's a rock. He made the most out of outstanding bluelines and forward groups where Legwand and Erat were his big offensive guns. Would welcome him anyday - and if a guy like Johnston was willing to leave the Winterhawks, all the better. Those two would be a great fit imo.

First time coming into this thread because I wanted to take time about how I felt about Torts. On one hand, I don't see how great this season could have gone due to all the injuries. The Canucks had a fantastic record in December and were a playoff team at that point. However, I still didn't think they were good enough to be a serious contender at that point for the cup. Then January happened and we can all remember everything from there. Part of the problem with last year was the lack of depth and the salary cap had a huge part to play in that, which should be corrected this offseason, along with upcoming prospects. However, Torts' insistance on overplaying the Sedin's and Kesler certainly do not help his case in staying. Unless he becomes a "Yes Man" right away if the new GM insists that certain players do not play PK roles and start rolling 4 lines, then I do not see Torts coming. I believe he deserves another shot and cannot see the harm in doing so. Regardless of whether he is here next year or not, the Canucks will not be a Stanley Cup Final team. So unless the prospects expected to have a permanent role next year (Jensen, Horvat) develop well, then Torts is safe. If not, he'll be gone mid-season if results don't show. If he is around, the leash will be incredibly short.

Too much money for a third liner IMO. Also taking away a roster spot from youth.

Who does he bump here?

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen/Burrows

UFA/prospect/trade, Kesler, Kassian

Burrows, Horvat, Santorelli

Higgins, Matthias, Richardson

I don't think you're wrong I'm just not sure they buy him out with only a year on his contract. They'd be better off to play him on the farm team if he can't play here and get the cap relief.

I also don't think Horvat will be on the roster next year. He may get a few games at the start of the season but my money would be on him being in the AHL and making the jump to the Canucks the season after.

Archived