The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Just want to jump in here and defend Schroeder a bit. I don't think he's been given the right atmosphere/opportunity to develop just yet. I would like to see him traded to a team that had a place for him

if we are thinking of drafting a guy like eh let's we should look at him for his skill set not based on what shredder hasn't done.

As for who we should Draft I think if there is that big of a spread between 5 and 6 that it is so unclear maybe we should just trade that pick. Since we would have to overpay to move up maybe we should trade down. I have no idea though what we could fetch to say trade down to 12 th or so. ?

There's the problem. I am sure that Schroeder could be a good NHL player. I just feel he is too small for the pacific division. Look to the east, see Gallagher, Desharnais, Gionta, Briere, Johnson, St. Louis, zucherelllo, Ennis, Gerbe, Skinner... Etc. small players can play freely in the east. The pacific? Good luck trying to make a list a quarter of that size.

I do agree with you that of the top 5 consensus picks are gone we should trade down. I remember in 2008 the islanders had the #5 pick they traded down to #7 and #37 (in2009) and #68. Then they traded down from #7 to #9 and received the #40 pick. Later in the draft they traded #68 for #72 and #102.

In the end they acquired....#9, #37(2009), #40, #72, #102

That's two high 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th to move down 4 spots.

4 spots down from us is Anaheim, they happen to have a late first :-)

Ehlers is too much like Shinkaruk and RIchie is looking like the Kassian project.

Sure hope one of the top 5 drops down to #6.

Yea I'm not looking forward to waiting 5 years for Ritchie to become a 3rd liner and 7 years for him to finally be in the top 6. It's just not worth it. Nylander looks like the way to imo. Obviously if one of the top 5 drops, we snag him up and run for the hills

Apparently Ehlers had an outstanding game last night. Unfortunately, Druion and the rest of the Moose were listless and they lost. Others noted how invisible Mantha was as well.

Mantha scored a goal and an assist and Drouin played quite well, it was the depth players that didn't show up.

Mantha scored a goal and an assist and Drouin played quite well, it was the depth players that didn't show up.

I didnt see the game. They indicated Mantha was invisible 58 min. I guess that was a heck of a 2 min. A goal and an assist.

And they claimed Drouin became frustrated with the lack of room they were giving him to operate.

I agree. I half expect either Ehlers or Nylander to bump Draisaitl or Dal Colle down a spot. Something like this nearly always happens. If we lose today, we could easily have a shot at drafting Dal Colle or Draisaitl.

Please please make this so! I am happy if we pick the biggest most skilled player over the small skilled player.

Ehlers may be an exceptional talent, but we've seen plenty of similar-weight high-scoring Q prospects come and go without making a dent in the NHL.

I don't see Bure's speed here. Hell, Nichushkin looks like he was faster, but he was bigger. So we weren't okay with taking a risk with him, but we are with this much smaller player? Typical.

Claude Giroux is far more aggressive, two-way adept and physical than Ehlers could ever hope to be, so I certainly hope that isn't an attempt at a comparison.

Yes, Ehlers' stock has risen. Yes he's having a good playoff. But context please. He's playing alongside Drouin against a weak team in a weak Q, and that's a league that career 4th liner Steve Bernier looked like a star in. He simply picked the league most likely to give the skinny guy the most room to play in.

Ah but the weight. Will he put it on? That's not a guarantee. And if he does, will he slow down, losing whatever edge he'd have, speed-wise? These are huge risks to consider when picking a player who's there to score and do absolutely nothing else.

That being said, Drouin, Kane, Bure, Giroux, etc. are all miles more talented than Ehlers. This is why he has not risen beyond where he's at now.

The NHL is not a league where you can just skate up and down the ice head down and expect to be successful.

I can appreciate that he is not the pick you want. I have read lots of posts from guys who want Vit or Ritchie and if you have to lower yourselves down from an 8 inch prong , you reach for Nylander.

However, I would like to insist that you tell the truth. There is little point in having a discussion if the participant making the post is constitutionally disingenuous for the sake of trying to invalidate a draftee he doesnt want.

1) Ehlers does have Bures speed. Is it exactly as fast? I dont know. I do know is he is slightly faster than MacKinnon was. Nichuskin is not as fast as Ehlers. He is called the second fastest skater in the CHL. I suspect Druion is first. They did not say.

Ehlers is very strong on the puck. He cuts the the middle and fights very tenaciously along the boards. He also does not play with Druion. Like all teams, they will of course play together during the power play and if they pull their goalie etc.....

His stock was low because nobody knew anything about him. What most people do not remember is that he played in Denmark before this year. This was his first CHL season. He also plays on the same team as Druion so again the scouts had to take it with a grain of salt.

As the year progressed his stock has done nothing but skyrocket. He may have finished 13th but lets be honest. His stock will keep rising and we have 2 months before the draft. Many predict he will be a top 10 pick definitely. I think 6th is where he will go. I hope so anyways.

He was 5ft 11 at age 17 when he first arrived from Denmark. He was 162. According to reports he is now 5 ft 11.5 and 170lbs.

MacKinnon is 6ft and plays at 180. Nobody calls him small. By age 20 he will be 6ft and 185.

Its fine if you dont want the guy at 6, but lets not just spin the negative and assume things that just arent true. That resolves nothing.

I can appreciate that he is not the pick you want. I have read lots of posts from guys who want Vit or Ritchie and if you have to lower yourselves down from an 8 inch prong , you reach for Nylander.

However, I would like to insist that you tell the truth. There is little point in having a discussion if the participant making the post is constitutionally disingenuous for the sake of trying to invalidate a draftee he doesnt want.

1) Ehlers does have Bures speed. Is it exactly as fast? I dont know. I do know is he is slightly faster than MacKinnon was. Nichuskin is not as fast as Ehlers. He is called the second fastest skater in the CHL. I suspect Druion is first. They did not say.

Ehlers is very strong on the puck. He cuts the the middle and fights very tenaciously along the boards. He also does not play with Druion. Like all teams, they will of course play together during the power play and if they pull their goalie etc.....

His stock was low because nobody knew anything about him. What most people do not remember is that he played in Denmark before this year. This was his first CHL season. He also plays on the same team as Druion so again the scouts had to take it with a grain of salt.

As the year progressed his stock has done nothing but skyrocket. He may have finished 13th but lets be honest. His stock will keep rising and we have 2 months before the draft. Many predict he will be a top 10 pick definitely. I think 6th is where he will go. I hope so anyways.

He was 5ft 11 at age 17 when he first arrived from Denmark. He was 162. According to reports he is now 5 ft 11.5 and 170lbs.

MacKinnon is 6ft and plays at 180. Nobody calls him small. By age 20 he will be 6ft and 185.

Its fine if you dont want the guy at 6, but lets not just spin the negative and assume things that just arent true. That resolves nothing.

I am rooting for Ritchie and I like him more than any of the other realistic options we have. However, I agree with you. He has the potential to be magnificent. He is only getting bigger and he is only getting better. He is having a playoffs like no other and the things people say about him couldn't be further from the truth. If developed well, he will be amazing. His speed and skill is something that can be worth tons

LOL, reminds people of Pavel Bure.

shakes head. There will never be a player like Pavel Bure. Ehlers again, has Nikita Filatov written all over him. Highly skilled highly offensive speedy winger, was equally as good as Steven Stamkos and were is he now?

There ya goes.

Filatov was simply not handled properly and he fled to Russia. If Ehlers comes here, we will hopefully treat him right and he won't go anywhere. It's wrong to compare somebody that plays or has played in the NHL. Every player is different and brings something different. He isn't Bure and will never be Bure but he has things to his game that Bure has and Bure has things in his game that Ehlers doesn't have

Archived