The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Kesler to remain a Canuck

TheRussianRocket.

kesler coming out and saying he wants to stay is nothing more than posturing and letting other teams know he is a good teamate and will "say" the right things in the MEDIA...nothing more. He is going to detroit,chicago, or pittsburgh more than likely

and on a side note , do not not discount money as a factor , with the recent drop in the canadian dollar Kesler would be better suited to collect the remaining years on his contract in the states and there better tax brackets

kesler coming out and saying he wants to stay is nothing more than posturing and letting other teams know he is a good teamate and will "say" the right things in the MEDIA...nothing more. He is going to detroit,chicago, or pittsburgh more than likely

and on a side note , do not not discount money as a factor , with the recent drop in the canadian dollar Kesler would be better suited to collect the remaining years on his contract in the states and there better tax brackets

like any other player wouldn't "say the right things" just to keep the door open

So, in two years are the Canucks going to pay him 6+ million a year to be the third line center? If so then keep him. If not then get rid of him now while his value is high. Very simple really.

In two years he likely wouldn't be worth or expecting $6m+. Probably closer to say $4.5 in two years from now dollars.

We'd also still have the option of trading him at that years deadline (2015/2016) to a playoff team if things aren't well for us.

(Albeit at less of a return than we'd get now before someone jumps all over that. IMO having Kesler for the next 1.5 year plus a lesser return > losing Kesler now for a greater return.)

like any other player wouldn't "say the right things" just to keep the door open

I don't think that poster would disagree with you. At this point Kesler is saying all the right things, which likely makes him even more attractive to other teams. If the right deal is there, the Canucks should do it.

On a side note, wasn't Brandon Sutter one of the rumored returns for Kesler? Sutter has almost a point a game in the playoffs and is a +6. Just saying ;)

That's great, now figure out how many quality shots did Garrison take compare to Ehrhoff.

I supplied the available factual stats. You supply opinion without evidence. So if that's you're argument YOU prove it.

That aside my response was regarding the ability to HIT the net. Opinion says Ehrhoff was better than Garrison. Facts say otherwise.

Some think that Kassian is the playmaker he needs

Kesler never works with anyone because he wants the puck all the time. If he wants to be a sniper, he has to let his playmaking winger have the puck most of the time......that's never going to happen in Van

I supplied the available factual stats. You supply opinion without evidence. So if that's you're argument YOU prove it.

That aside my response was regarding the ability to HIT the net. Opinion says Ehrhoff was better than Garrison. Facts say otherwise.

Yes, and I'll take Garry's 33 points and two way game every time.

If Philly is prepared to pay up after the Rags finish them off tonight,

Couturier, their 1st (18th overall - take Honka) and a mid rounder/b prospect would be hard to pass up imo.

Derrick Pouliot and a 1st would be just as good. We lack D in our prospect pool let alone any PMD's on the roster since Ehrhoff. Pouliot would be an excellent PP quarterback down the line and has the potential to be that franchise defenseman that this organization has never had since Ohlund. In 3 years not one of our top 4 D will be under the age of 30 so it would be best to start the succession planning early rather than start building a good forward group only to realize that our D just won't be able to cut it anymore. I'm pretty sure we can find someone just as good as Couturier in future drafts pretty easily but by the time we get around to drafting defenseman (2016 draft or later) we'll most likely be too good to land someone of the likes of Murray, Trouba, Pouliot, etc.

The vast Stanley Cup caliber teams have a top-notch centreman (Crosby, Yzerman, Modano, etc) and either a norris caliber D (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger, etc) or an elite PMD (Gonchar, Zubov, Boyle, etc) that are key pieces that they build around and win with. The Canucks should target wingers this draft unless one of the consensus 5 drops to them, get Pouliot and focus on getting a franchise centerman in 2015.

Derrick Pouliot and a 1st would be just as good. We lack D in our prospect pool let alone any PMD's on the roster since Ehrhoff. Pouliot would be an excellent PP quarterback down the line and has the potential to be that franchise defenseman that this organization has never had since Ohlund. In 3 years not one of our top 4 D will be under the age of 30 so it would be best to start the succession planning early rather than start building a good forward group only to realize that our D just won't be able to cut it anymore. I'm pretty sure we can find someone just as good as Couturier in future drafts pretty easily but by the time we get around to drafting defenseman (2016 draft or later) we'll most likely be too good to land someone of the likes of Murray, Trouba, Pouliot, etc.

The vast Stanley Cup caliber teams have a top-notch centreman (Crosby, Yzerman, Modano, etc) and either a norris caliber D (Lidstrom, Niedermayer, Pronger, etc) or an elite PMD (Gonchar, Zubov, Boyle, etc) that are key pieces that they build around and win with. The Canucks should target wingers this draft unless one of the consensus 5 drops to them, get Pouliot and focus on getting a franchise centerman in 2015.

Sounds like yo don't realize that Honka is a pmd - a damn good one - and players like Couturier are not "pretty easily" found.

Sounds like yo don't realize that Honka is a pmd - a damn good one - and players like Couturier are not "pretty easily" found.

Which makes him more likely to NOT be available at the 18th selection. Couturier has not proved he has the chops to be a #1 centerman in this league although I am confident he will definitely be better than Kesler in his prime. He will most likely be an excellent #2 with a 2-way game much along the likes of what Bo Horvat is projected to be but I doubt he is a PPG centerman or better unless you want to claim he is the 2nd coming of Mike Modano or JonathanToews. 2-way #2 centermen are more easily found or developed rather than #1 PPG centermen. We need a future potential PPG centerman more than another 2-way centerman which we already have 2 of in our prospect pool and one in our current lineup. In 4 years we have to answer the question what will we replace Henrik Sedin with and I highly doubt Couturier is the answer.

What makes this proposal a tad unrealistic is the fact that I doubt Philly even values Kesler this much and they would be much better off trading Couturier/Schenn for D while Pittsburgh desperately needs a solid checking line center who can shut down opponents and kill penalties. I don't think Philly is THAT interested in Kesler's services when they already have a younger, cheaper player with more potential getting that done for them.

So, in two years are the Canucks going to pay him 6+ million a year to be the third line center? If so then keep him. If not then get rid of him now while his value is high. Very simple really.

This post nails it on the head .. Kesler has never appeared to make anyone around him better .. period.

Expect Pouliot can also throw out hits, can fight, and is 20+ pounds heavier than Honka.

Expect Pouliot can also throw out hits, can fight, and is 20+ pounds heavier than Honka.

Pouliot is 20 years old - 2 years (23 months) older than Honka.

Honka isn't as high profile but I wouldn't be so quick to prejudge him - if you do an age comparable, Honka has just as impressive numbers in the Dub, particularly if you consider that he's playing for Swift Current and not the absolutely stacked Portland Winterhawks.

Pouliot is 20 years old - 2 years (23 months) older than Honka.

Honka isn't as high profile but I wouldn't be so quick to prejudge him - if you do an age comparable, Honka has just as impressive numbers in the Dub, particularly if you consider that he's playing for Swift Current and not the absolutely stacked Portland Winterhawks.

pouliot is one of the main reasons the winterhawks are considered stacked.

If Philly is prepared to pay up after the Rags finish them off tonight,

Couturier, their 1st (18th overall - take Honka) and a mid rounder/b prospect would be hard to pass up imo.

Looks like they go to game 7.

I doubt Philly trades Couturier.

B Schenn is more likely.

But that package with Couturier or Schenn I would do.

pouliot is one of the main reasons the winterhawks are considered stacked.

They have half a dozen ppg players, including a couple guys 113, 109, another with 91, 81, 79 and a blueline that also boasts Dumba and Cederholm.

Last year they had 3 guys combine for 350 points, 9 players in the ppg range, and a blueline that you can add Seth Jones to.

Go back another year and add Sven Baertschi, Joe Morrow to the mix.....

The Portland Winterhawks are and were stacked with or without Derrick Pouliot.

Portland 113 points this year, Swift Current 85 Portland scored 338 goals to SCurrent's 248.

Last year 117 points to SC's 79. 334 goals to 206.

The year before a 40 point differential... 328 goals for Portland, 216 for SC.

Honka's 56 in 62 is quite impressive at 17/18 years old.

Pouliot scored 70 in 58 this year, 45 in 44 last year and 59 in 72 at Honka's age.

Very good comparable numbers where Honka is concerned, particularly on a team that is not a perennial powerhouse that lights up the WHL.

Holmgren: I will not buyout Bryzgalov. I gave Carter and Richards NTC's and I plan to honour them

Yzerman: St Louis is a Bolt for life. I have no plans to exercise a buyout on Lecavelier

Gillis: Schneider is our #1

Sundin: I will retire a Leaf

See the pattern. People say things ALL the time in this league

These are management quotes. I don't recall St Louis or Mike Richards saying they "love this city". So not a valid point.

Archived