The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tortorella: Canucks Are Getting Old

SabreFan1

CALGARY, AB. - The Western Hockey League announced today the disciplinary action which has been taken against the Portland Winterhawks franchise for a series of violations of the WHL Regulations.

As a result of a series of player benefit violations which have occurred over the past four seasons, WHL Commissioner Ron Robison has suspended the Portland Winterhawks from participating in the first five rounds of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft and the forfeiture of their first round selections in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 WHL Bantam Drafts. Should the first round selection in 2014 not be available due to a conditional trade, Portland will surrender their second and third round picks in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft. The WHL also announced the Portland Winterhawks have been fined $200,000 and Winterhawks General Manager and Head Coach Mike Johnston has been suspended for the balance of the 2012-13 season, including the 2013 WHL Playoffs.

“All WHL Clubs understand they are required to fully comply and respect our League Regulations or they will face significant consequences,” stated WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. “WHL Clubs are required to fully disclose all commitments they make to a player in the WHL Standard Player Agreement. Our independent investigation in this case revealed there were multiple violations over an extended period for player benefits that are not permitted under WHL Regulations and were not disclosed to the WHL. It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.”

So that's the reason why Royals lost to Portland? :rolleyes:

"I find it pretty funny coming from member who referred to Portland Winterhawks as "Cheaterhawks" How exactly did they cheat?"

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/winterhawks-statement-on-whl-sanctions-suspension

Today the Western Hockey League has announced disciplinary action against the Portland Winterhawks for violations related to player benefits. The WHL has forfeited the team from participating in the first five rounds of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft and the forfeiture of the team’s first round picks in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.

The WHL also announced the organization has been fined $200,000, and that General Manager & Head Coach Mike Johnston has been suspended for the remainder of the season, including the playoffs.

There are some of us who have been telling you all this since the end of last season. But you didnt wanna listen.

Teams grow old. We had our fun. We scored a pile of awards and came one game short of the cup. We are NOT contending for the cup for another 3 years minimum. It just doesnt work that way. The team needs to rebuild.

i like how everyone including the media completely forgot about last year..... just talked about how great we were winning the pres cup 2 years in a row and look at where we are now...... well last year we were 2 wins better than 9th place CBJ and we played in a far easier division.... only guy ive heard talk about this is lebrun who said its damn hard to steer a sinking ship...and torts came onto a team already heading in this direction before him... then add on a tougher division ... and a ton of injuries ... and no real changes made to the floundering roster and what did you people expect? torts was going to wave a magic wand and the whole team was going to climb in the way back machine and play like they did 4 years ago??

My thoughts exactly... changing the coach at this point is not going to get you any different results. Playing a different style isn't going to get you different results (in the W/L column anyways.) Team needs an overhaul - if a new coach might help out with that then so be it but going through 2 Jack Adams winning coaches (who have solid winning percentages and a lot of NHL success) in 2 years tells me the issue is not behind the bench.

Torts is no more arrogant then Gillis who threw Torts under the bus and blaming him for how the season went in what turned out to be his final address on 1040. Unbelievable.

Tortorella had commented publicly about lacking depth before that Gillis interview. He actually fired the first shots there - and you're overstating/paraphrasing what Gillis said - he didn't blame Tortorella for the season, he commented about departing from a style of play he'd like to see this team commit to. Quite different things, and no more "throwing Tortorella under the bus" than comments about lacking depth are a shot at his GM.

Not the point of the thread. When the coach says it after a season where he is arguably a good deal responsible for the team at least not making it into the first round, is it a cop out that he said it in public?

i've seen you try and tell people how to reply to a thread before - it doesnt work that way... especially the way this site is modded. if anyone wants to start a topic on torts saying the core is getting older, or if in fact the team is aging, or how big of a factor that was in our downfall this year, they will be directed to this thread before being powerlocked.

so get over it.

TO laughs is right, this has been the arguement since 2011... really it was a matter of time - i think torts was completely right in saying that, and he said it after taking the full blame for the season,(maybe you should watch the interview instead of making a thread based on what, a 10 word tweet?) AS WELL AS being very open about mistakes he has made. 2 first round exits in a row, one was a sweep and one is also the number of playoff games we won in the last 3 seasons... how can anyone argue that age didnt contribute to our downfall?

Mackcanuck, on 14 Apr 2014 - 7:54 PM, said:snapback.png

CALGARY, AB. - The Western Hockey League announced today the disciplinary action which has been taken against the Portland Winterhawks franchise for a series of violations of the WHL Regulations.

As a result of a series of player benefit violations which have occurred over the past four seasons, WHL Commissioner Ron Robison has suspended the Portland Winterhawks from participating in the first five rounds of the 2013 WHL Bantam Draft and the forfeiture of their first round selections in the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 WHL Bantam Drafts. Should the first round selection in 2014 not be available due to a conditional trade, Portland will surrender their second and third round picks in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft. The WHL also announced the Portland Winterhawks have been fined $200,000 and Winterhawks General Manager and Head Coach Mike Johnston has been suspended for the balance of the 2012-13 season, including the 2013 WHL Playoffs.

“All WHL Clubs understand they are required to fully comply and respect our League Regulations or they will face significant consequences,” stated WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. “WHL Clubs are required to fully disclose all commitments they make to a player in the WHL Standard Player Agreement. Our independent investigation in this case revealed there were multiple violations over an extended period for player benefits that are not permitted under WHL Regulations and were not disclosed to the WHL. It should also be noted through the course of the investigation there was no evidence of any payments or enhanced education benefits provided to players that would be contrary to WHL Regulations as previous media reports indicated.”

So that's the reason why Royals lost to Portland? :rolleyes:

No, the reason the Royals lost was because Portland had the better team.

i've seen you try and tell people how to reply to a thread before - it doesnt work that way... especially the way this site is modded. if anyone wants to start a topic on torts saying the core is getting older, or if in fact the team is aging, or how big of a factor that was in our downfall this year, they will be directed to this thread before being powerlocked.

so get over it.

TO laughs is right, this has been the arguement since 2011... really it was a matter of time - i think torts was completely right in saying that, and he said it after taking the full blame for the season,(maybe you should watch the interview instead of making a thread based on what, a 10 word tweet?) AS WELL AS being very open about mistakes he has made. 2 first round exits in a row, one was a sweep and one is also the number of playoff games we won in the last 3 seasons... how can anyone argue that age didnt contribute to our downfall?

Take a freaking pill. I posted the article and asked a question. AT NO POINT DID I OFFER AN OPINION. Like I said further on in the thread, I wanted other people's opinions because I only get to see roughly 30 percent of the Vancouver games because first and foremost the Buffalo Sabres are my favourite team.

I don't have enough knowledge of the specifics of the Canucks season to make an informed opinion/decision.

As to one of your other points, people can respond to the thread any way that they choose. I don't tell them otherwise. I'm not the CDC board police. Never have been, never will be, and have no desire to be.

Once again, take a pill and lay off of the caffeine.

I found it pretty telling when the players were asked what they thought of Tortorella's job and whether or not he should be the coach moving forward, their answers were that they had to look at themselves, and feel responsible - that if they win more games, then AV, and Gillis and possibly Tortorella don't lose their jobs - that they could have been better, should have been better - and look at themselves first and foremost.

Tortorella...they're old, stale, trending and need him to bang away more.

I found it pretty telling when the players were asked what they thought of Tortorella's job and whether or not he should be the coach moving forward, their answers were that they had to look at themselves, and feel responsible - that if they win more games, then AV, and Gillis and possibly Tortorella don't lose their jobs - that they could have been better, should have been better - and look at themselves first and foremost.

Tortorella...they're old, stale, trending and need him to bang away more.

As competitive athletes age and inevitably slow down, they never want to admit the truth either. Sometimes that makes you work harder and in other cases you slow down. In the Canucks case, it is the latter.

Take a freaking pill. I posted the article and asked a question. AT NO POINT DID I OFFER AN OPINION. Like I said further on in the thread, I wanted other people's opinions because I only get to see roughly 30 percent of the Vancouver games because first and foremost the Buffalo Sabres are my favourite team.

I don't have enough knowledge of the specifics of the Canucks season to make an informed opinion/decision.

As to one of your other points, people can respond to the thread any way that they choose. I don't tell them otherwise. I'm not the CDC board police. Never have been, never will be, and have no desire to be.

Once again, take a pill and lay off of the caffeine.

Unless that pill is a caffeine pill...

Unless that pill is a caffeine pill...

Good point... lol

Funny story from when I was 18-19, many moons ago. I bought a package of caffeine pills, took a couple, they didn't hit me within the first 20 min. Took a couple more, nothing after another 15 min. Of course being that young back then, I thought nothing could harm me and I must have some manly resistance to the pills. So what did I do? I took the rest of the pills in the box. Hooo-lleeee crap, that did not go well for me. Once they finally hit, I had heart palpitations, I developed a feeling of paranoia about the oddest things. Didn't sleep for the next 2 days.

Finally when it was all over I promised myself I would never touch those things again.

These are the youngest teams in the NHL (26 years avg). There's only one playoff team in this group who barely squeaked in.

Columbus

Winnipeg

Buffalo

Ottawa

Toronto

Nashville

Washington

Edmonton

Calgary

Canucks are 27.56 avg. The Sedins and Burrows are the oldest at 33 and the rest of the core group are in mid-late 20's. This isn't a very old team.

Get out of here, fact-police!!!

Why Torts is a great coach is because he's a realist and fully sees the reality of this team and that it's not good enough to win right now

It shows to me that he doesn't realize his biggest mistake this year was the Calgary locker room incident. Cocky enough to say, 'If I reached Hartley, I would have gotten to him' No class. I still think he should go. Guys like Torts who don't know his biggest mistake, don't show any flexibility, cocky are impossible to work with. Please relieve him of his duties.

How is that the biggest mistake? When that was still fresh people were 50-50 on what he did. I'd say if Canucks were in the playoffs people would be commending Torts for doing that showing he was sticking up for his team.

Archived