The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

6th overall: CDC 2014 Draft Consensus

funkyfresh

6th overall: CDC 2014 Draft Consensus  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't get why everyone wants Ritchie. Sure he has size but he's basically Kassian 2.0 with a better shot and a bit bigger size. Nothing too exciting about this kid considering we already have a "version" of him on this team (Kassian also had more points in his draft year than this guy has in his). I've seen Nylander play and sure he is fairly talented, but he is another one of those soft swedes that is too adapted to the Euro, finesse style of game, rather than the more rugged North American style of game. He's been mentioned a few times as a one dimensional player that lacks the defensive aspect of the game. He will have to develop for at least 2-3 years to learn the defensive system required for the NHL before making the big team.......all in all, after the top 4 in Draisaitl, Reinhart, Ekblad, and Bennett, this draft year is such a borefest. I wish we had a chance to pick this high next year (I hope somehow we can).

I don't get why everyone wants Ritchie. Sure he has size but he's basically Kassian 2.0 with a better shot and a bit bigger size. Nothing too exciting about this kid considering we already have a "version" of him on this team (Kassian also had more points in his draft year than this guy has in his). I've seen Nylander play and sure he is fairly talented, but he is another one of those soft swedes that is too adapted to the Euro, finesse style of game, rather than the more rugged North American style of game. He's been mentioned a few times as a one dimensional player that lacks the defensive aspect of the game. He will have to develop for at least 2-3 years to learn the defensive system required for the NHL before making the big team.......all in all, after the top 4 in Draisaitl, Reinhart, Ekblad, and Bennett, this draft year is such a borefest. I wish we had a chance to pick this high next year (I hope somehow we can).

Gosh I do not know why I am taking the time to do this..

Will be my last post for awhile, and last time I do this for Ritchie --> Kassian comaprison

IT IS A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE Comparison

First: Kassian did not have more points than Ritchie on his draft year.

Kassian:

2008-09 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 24 39 63 136 -14 4 0 2 2 8

Nick Ritchie:

2013-14 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 39 35 74 136 4 2013-14 Peterborough Petes OHL -- -- -- -- -- -- 11 5 5 10 24

SO statistically 74 >> 63 PTS, in same GP 61

Ritchies goals 39 >>> 24 goals of Kassian

The only similarities in their game is size, team for draft year, GP, and PIM both being 136, very strange but funny.

In 4 playoff games Kassian amounted 2 assists. In 11 playoff games Ritchie amounted 10 pts

Richie was also a +4 where as Kassian was a -14

SO Statistically they are far from the same on there draft year.

Second: both played on relatively weak teams, but Ritchie carried his team, even lead a miraculous comeback in the first round of the playoffs. Kassian did not even lead his team in points.

Third: Kassian is more a playmaker than a sniper, Ritchie shot is much more impressive yet can still distribute the puck very effectively.

Fourth: Kassian edges Ritchie in speed as he has slimmed down, although speed is not a weakness of Ritchies

Fifth: Kassian is more of a wrecking ball than Ritchie, Ritchie uses his size more effectively and goes for timely body checks.

The reason people want Ritchie is because he has NHL size, mobility and skill, to go along with the ability to carry and lead his team. These are intagibles many players do not have, carrying a team in JR is huge, it matures a players game quite a bit.

The only real knock on Ritchie is consistency and which young kid doesnt have this? Hell most pros do. He is a blend that cannot be ignored, and his mean streak is very appealing, when he isnt scoring, setting goals up or finishing plays in a rut, he will make a difference in a gameby making space for his teammate bulling around and punishing the other team and even dropping the gloves.

EDIT: Kassian did not have an older brother to lean on for support or advice like Nick does with his older brother

I do not wish to take away from Kassian, but at the time of Kassians draft compared to Ritchie this year,

Nick is nothing similar to Kassian at all and is a superior player with a much higher ceiling.

And you should take notice and not be surprised if

A: He is taken before our pick

B: We pick him

He has fan favourite potential

Gosh I do not know why I am taking the time to do this..

Will be my last post for awhile, and last time I do this for Ritchie --> Kassian comaprison

IT IS A TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE Comparison

First: Kassian did not have more points than Ritchie on his draft year.

Kassian:

2008-09 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 24 39 63 136 -14 4 0 2 2 8

Nick Ritchie:

2013-14 Peterborough Petes OHL 61 39 35 74 136 4 2013-14 Peterborough Petes OHL -- -- -- -- -- -- 11 5 5 10 24

SO statistically 74 >> 63 PTS, in same GP 61

Ritchies goals 39 >>> 24 goals of Kassian

The only similarities in their game is size, team for draft year, GP, and PIM both being 136, very strange but funny.

In 4 playoff games Kassian amounted 2 assists. In 11 playoff games Ritchie amounted 10 pts

Richie was also a +4 where as Kassian was a -14

SO Statistically they are far from the same on there draft year.

Second: both played on relatively weak teams, but Ritchie carried his team, even lead a miraculous comeback in the first round of the playoffs. Kassian did not even lead his team in points.

Third: Kassian is more a playmaker than a sniper, Ritchie shot is much more impressive yet can still distribute the puck very effectively.

Fourth: Kassian edges Ritchie in speed as he has slimmed down, although speed is not a weakness of Ritchies

Fifth: Kassian is more of a wrecking ball than Ritchie, Ritchie uses his size more effectively and goes for timely body checks.

The reason people want Ritchie is because he has NHL size, mobility and skill, to go along with the ability to carry and lead his team. These are intagibles many players do not have, carrying a team in JR is huge, it matures a players game quite a bit.

The only real knock on Ritchie is consistency and which young kid doesnt have this? Hell most pros do. He is a blend that cannot be ignored, and his mean streak is very appealing, when he isnt scoring, setting goals up or finishing plays in a rut, he will make a difference in a gameby making space for his teammate bulling around and punishing the other team and even dropping the gloves.

Kassian also has an older brother who he could lean on for adice going through the process like Nick does, but even icks brother> Matt Kassian.

I do not wish to take away from Kassian, but at the time of Kassians draft compared to Ritchie this year,

Nick is nothing similar to Kassian at all and is a superior player with a much higher ceiling.

And you should take notice and not be surprised if

A: He is taken before our pick

B: We pick him

He has fan favourite potential

I hope you feel like what you just said was worth it because you really just swayed my opinion, thanks :)

Archived