The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks 2nd rounder 36th overall

Bobby_Lu1ngo

Lets not forget our d corps need a little depth as well

Jack Glover

Jack Dougherty

Come to mind and are ranked in the 30's. I prefer Glover jist on size and an overall broader set of skills but I would be happy with either. Both are also rh.

Glover is committed to going to U of Minnesota though.

We've had problems with the Gophers' development of our players before. That's a bit of a red flag.

Glover is committed to going to U of Minnesota though.

We've had problems with the Gophers' development of our players before. That's a bit of a red flag.

please do NOT put the failures of U of Minn on White and Matson.

Schroeder was so-so for them. Btw...Hudson Fasching would look great in a Canucks uniform

For some reason9n, I put Glover and Dougherty not far off of Fluery and in the pack of Honka and McKeowan.

Dougherty is set to go to U of Wisconsin.

please do NOT put the failures of U of Minn on White and Matson.

Schroeder was so-so for them. Btw...Hudson Fasching would look great in a Canucks uniform

For some reason9n, I put Glover and Dougherty not far off of Fluery and in the pack of Honka and McKeowan.

Dougherty is set to go to U of Wisconsin.

Dougherty would be a very good pick imo, he's got decent size and offensive abilities. So many d men that turn out to be studs come from the 20-40 range, wouldn't break my heart if we looked for one with this pick.

Dougherty would be my preferred choice if available. Led his team to a state title last year, and now is getting a ton of great experience on the NTDP, internationally and against men in college. Add to that he is going to Wisconsin, who churns out NHL defenders, and is a perennial contender.

Robby Fabri if he falls to our second pick.
5-9 160pnds Brayden Point playing with Perlini at the mens under 18 tourny he is rated 53rd maybe take a chance on him if he falls to our 3rd pick he is a noted Canuck fan his favorite player growing up was Nazzy if anything down the road he can be good for our AHL team.
Kyle Wood not sure where he is rated but this guy is huge and is playing good in the OHL playoffs his playoff numbers are almost the same as his season totals with half the games.

Whatever they do, I hope there's no more drafting overagers, but instead they should draft for talent, big or small. No more of those Alex Mallet and Taylor Ellington 2nd rounders for guys who can contribute sooner but in smaller capacities; I don't care if they go small for some guys but this team should stock up on skill going forward.

Whatever they do, I hope there's no more drafting overagers, but instead they should draft for talent, big or small. No more of those Alex Mallet and Taylor Ellington 2nd rounders for guys who can contribute sooner but in smaller capacities; I don't care if they go small for some guys but this team should stock up on skill going forward.

scouting dept has changed quite a bit since we've made a pick using that logic. im optimistic there wont be an issue with that going forward.

In modern-day Edmonton Oil Kings history, what three players have notched at least 25 goals and 25 assists during their draft season?

Let’s start with the no-brainer, Michael St. Croix.

Dylan Wruck, that’s also pretty obvious.

So who’s the third?

Here’s a hint: he’s on this season’s team. And it’s not star scorer Curtis Lazar.

Stumped? You’re probably not alone.

Brett Pollock is not a name that’s on the tip of the casual Oil Kings fan’s tounge, but the 17-year-old from Sherwood Park is quietly putting together a fantastic season, scoring his 25th goal and picking up his 27th assist in Regina on Wednesday , giving him 52 points with still six games left to play before Edmonton battled the Wheat Kings in Brandon on Friday night.

Those stats put Pollock him in pretty select company, alongside two of Oil Kings top three all-time scorers, St. Croix (No. 1 with 320 points) and Wruck (tied for 2nd with 256), as the only three Kings that joined the 25-25 club in their draft year (St. Croix and Wruck both did it in 2010-11).

“There are a lot of good players that have come through,” said Pollock, who turns 18 on March 17, one day after the WHL regular season ends. “I’ve just been making the best of my opportunities as they come and that’s just something I’ve been trying to focus on all year.”

With the 2014 NHL Draft now less than four months away, those in the know are starting to take notice. After not even being included on NHL Central Scouting’s Preliminary List of Players to Watch, which was released in November, Pollock ranked No. 71 among North American skaters in Central scouting’s midterm ranking in January.

You can bet the six-foot-two centre’s stock has only risen since, and if he keeps playing as well as he has, it’s quite possible Pollock will share something else special with New York Rangers prospect St. Croix, hearing his name called on draft day.

“I’ve been doing pretty well,” said the second-year forward, who has essentially been a point-per-game player since 2013 became 2014, with 28 in 29 games this calendar year entering Friday.

“It’s good to be recognized and knowing that you’re put on the radar with Central Scouting, but at the same time I know I still have a lot of work to do, and it’s just doing what I’m doing.”

Pollock won Edmonton’s Unsung Hero Award for November, and continues to play the unheralded but indispensable role: Wednesday he made a terrific individual effort to tie the game only 12 seconds after the Pats had taken an early 1-0 lead, then helped set up an insurance goal in the third period by Edgars Kulda, and finished the night plus-three.

As huge as Pollock’s 25th goal of the season was, his team’s 46th win in 2013-14 was even bigger: The Oil Kings moved past Calgary back into first place in the Eastern Conference, one night after they had relinquished top spot by blowing a two-goal third period lead in a 4-3 loss in Swift Current to the Broncos.

“We were disappointed, we all knew that’s a game we should have had and we can’t be blowing leads like that, especially late in the year, so coming into Regina ... we knew it was going to be a battle and it was a game we needed to win,” said Pollock, who combined with linemates Lazar and Kulda for seven points against Regina.

brian.swane@sunmedia.ca

@SunBrianSwane

DeAngelo is a guy I would stay far away from. Just too many red flags with him.

He has done much more than use a slur against someone during a game in the OHL. He made "the most inappropriate statement" towards his very own teammate. Said team-mate was so offended, he brought it up to his GM. The GM felt it was serious enough to defer the matter to the League Office. The League suspended him for 8 games and the Team released a statement saying they fully agree with the punishment. He has also been suspended internally by the team before, so don't think this is one-off situation.

That says to me, firstly, that when your own teammates turn on you, there's major problems going on here. There are a lot of cocky players in the CHL, but this is on a different level. And rumour out of Sarnia is that some teammates simply hate the guy. Just watch him stare down his teammates when a goal is scored against them and it doesn't become so hard to believe.

I see hopeful comments in your post, hoping he will learn, mature, if he is willing to do so. But the thing is this guy simply does not learn. People, who have played with and against him when they were younger, have stated he hasn't changed at all. For a more recent example: DeAngelo was suspended for abuse of officials, two games. The first game after the suspension, guess what? He abuses an official and gets a penalty and a game misconduct. In subsequent games, he has also been seen abusing officials.

Some people see this as a guy who plays with passion. I see a nut case with deep-seeded problems.

it might drop him a little, but let's face it, there are a lot of douchie D - Keith, Subban, Doughty, etc...

I think you still see him go in that 25-40 range, likely to a team with multiple high picks.

I have watched De Leo play several times for Portland and every time he impresses me. He is smallish at 5'9 and 178 but I think the has potential to be something special. Not to mention he had 39 goals and 81 points in 72 games and he's a +49! So far he has 6 goals and 11 points in 11 playoff games this season. I believe that he could be a steal at 36, even though he ranked 36 by ISS.

it might drop him a little, but let's face it, there are a lot of douchie D - Keith, Subban, Doughty, etc...

I think you still see him go in that 25-40 range, likely to a team with multiple high picks.

It not just character in that sense, he seems to completely disregard the defense part of being a defenseman. Lots of red flags, would need the right support around him to try and turn him around in those various facets. Much easier said than done

Brett Pollock 6-2 183 pnds regular season 71Gp 25G 30A 55P +18 playoffs 12Gp 6G 5A 11P +8 im sorry but this is the guy we pick with our second thats if he is still available at 36.

Are you STAT SCOUTING?

What are you doing?

Really, his numbers are the reason you're going with Brett Pollock?

I watched him a couple times with Edmonton, and he's a good player but more of a third/fourth line hugger.

"I'm sorry but this is the guy we pick..." due to the numbers?

NEVER look at stats. What, is Ryan MacInnis a bad prospect? Oh he has BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD numbers. Looks like he sucks, right?

Watch the player play, and THEN judge. Never stat judge, that is a very inaccurate way to scout and numbers tell you nothing (past what player jersey # they are on the ice) about the player.

Archived