The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why the Canucks should draft Jake Virtanen

canucks155

He is not worthy of a 6th overall pick.

He has a low level of hockey-IQ, not NHL (or let alone a high-level) calibre at any degree.

GREAT player, I love Virtanen, but I would only draft a finisher of his level at a pick of 9 - 15.

Nick Ritchie is NOT Zack Kassian.

Ritchie started out as a playmaker, working on his size and speed, and then as he grew in size, he learned to pick corners with more shots that he would take at the net. He learned that shooting with accuracy is just as important as feeding the puck to players like MacKinnon and Drouin at the U18s. When he reached the OHL level, they directed him to play a gritty, Milan Lucic-style PWF game. He is big, mean, dominant, and undeniably skilled. Not that Kassian isn't, but Kassian was never considered to have top-5 skill.

If Ritchie had been healthy for the entirety of his junior and youth league career, he would be the top prospect in this year's draft. Concussion issues, and that shoulder injury bug have bogged him down in the rankings as an injury prone player with a high-risk, ENORMOUS-reward factor.

EHLERSSSS

I don't know about this year, Nylander is making case for being a good gamble at 6th, depends on if we can trade up or if we want to take a safer player.

I would also consider moving down if were trading with the Jets for Kane, we could move down and add a couple pieces and still get a decent prospect.

He is not worthy of a 6th overall pick.

He has a low level of hockey-IQ, not NHL (or let alone a high-level) calibre at any degree.

GREAT player, I love Virtanen, but I would only draft a finisher of his level at a pick of 9 - 15.

Nick Ritchie is NOT Zack Kassian.

Ritchie started out as a playmaker, working on his size and speed, and then as he grew in size, he learned to pick corners with more shots that he would take at the net. He learned that shooting with accuracy is just as important as feeding the puck to players like MacKinnon and Drouin at the U18s. When he reached the OHL level, they directed him to play a gritty, Milan Lucic-style PWF game. He is big, mean, dominant, and undeniably skilled. Not that Kassian isn't, but Kassian was never considered to have top-5 skill.

If Ritchie had been healthy for the entirety of his junior and youth league career, he would be the top prospect in this year's draft. Concussion issues, and that shoulder injury bug have bogged him down in the rankings as an injury prone player with a high-risk, ENORMOUS-reward factor.

I'm talking about in terms of size and style of play. While Ritchie is, as u noted, more gifted offensively, they're largely the same TYPE of player. I remember reading somewhere that Ritchie struggles w/ inconsistency and weight issues along w/ a prior history of injuries. I think there's too many question marks in his game for HIM to be worthy of the 6th pick. Not saying he's a bad aplyer but if I had to pick one bust out of the top 10, it would be him.

Scouts in January were saying Jake could be a "grand slam" player.

I take they mean he has all the attributes one is looking for. Watching video clips of him shows he's clearly the kind of player we're lacking. A guy who is hard to knock off the puck, goes to the net with authority, goes THROUGH d-men, and has a wicked shot.

What does he lack? Using team-mates more. Isn't that what we want a player who's first instinct is to SHOOT for a change?

Nice that he can drop them too.

Sorry if I'm repetitive...but this is a nice highlight package.

I take they mean he has all the attributes one is looking for. Watching video clips of him shows he's clearly the kind of player we're lacking. A guy who is hard to knock off the puck, goes to the net with authority, goes THROUGH d-men, and has a wicked shot.

What does he lack? Using team-mates more. Isn't that what we want a player who's first instinct is to SHOOT for a change?

I feel like you just described our entire team barring the Sedins. So no, I wouldn't like more Booths, Higgins or Keslers on our team. One man shows get you top ten picks. However, if McDavid is our main goal here I hope we take him.

Virtanen undoubtedly has the best skating in this draft, and that's consensus among all scouting services. His shot is killer too, hell of a wrister with firepower to boot. He is also very physical in an already physical WHL, as he hits even while carrying the puck. He does all this at 17, nearly a year younger than his draft eligible counterparts. People try to limit this kids potential by comparing him to the minimal skill sets they know and minusing factors that Virtanen isn't great in. At this point I can't see a real knock, other than playmaking but not every player has every ability.

At this point, I view Virtanen as the next Iginla, and I'm not subtracting anything from that statement either. The comparisons are there, both were ppg in their draft year in the dub, with > 100 PIMs, both born in the latter half of the year, both RWs and leaders on their respective teams.

Honestly, I've been watching a lot of this year's crop of prospects, tuning into what OHL/WHL playoff games are televised and watching the individual highlight packages on Youtube, and the one that impresses me most is Virtanen. Here's just a glimpse of that brilliance:

Virtanen reminds me so much of Corey Perry, and that is darn good in my books. Him and Kassian are exactly what the team needs

I know right! His goal at 1:55 just screams Perry, as he blows by the entire team to go five-hole, and then proceeds to high-five the opposing team's bench. Bascially he's saying he's going to score, play in your face, and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

Archived