The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden interview on Tim&Sid + Team1040 - recap

TheRussianRocket.

Kesler was broken and Daniel got Keith'd. Those two things don't happen and we likely go on another long playoff run in 2012.

@#$% happens. That does not equate the 2012 team to "floundering" or anything similar despite all the blathering on here to the contrary.

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen

UFA/prospect/trade, Kesler, Kassian

Burrows, Horvat, Santorelli

Higgins, Matthias, Richardson

That's already a vast improvement IMO and it's basically minimal work.

A package starting with Hansen and Tanev fills that top 6 LW hole IMO.

By all means if we're offered a stellar package for Kesler, we'd certainly have to consider/pursue it and in the long run may even work out best for the team. It would fairly instantly fast forward the youth movement and would certainly shake up the roster.

I'd love it if we could get say Draisaitl/Perlini/Tuch AND Fleury out of this draft.

Sutter said we were their most difficult opponent that year.

A few lucky bounces and a healthy Daniel and I think the whole franchise narrative would be different.

Lets see, the team floundered during 2011/2012 and then 2012/2013 and this year completely messed the bed under a new coach.

Yup must be the coaches fault, lets trade for or sign some high priced UFA's as that's always worked for us before

Need a new GM, need to shuffle a D man and forward from the top 4 and top 6 to shake things up need to start ramping in prospects for the system and play out next season as it happens.

Trade well draft better and this team turns it all around at the end of next season.

OR!

Do something silly like try to compete by trading and signing UFA's and watch this team hit bottom faster than a Keenan steered Messier driven mess

Anaheim dropped out of the play off's once amongst cat calls to dismantle. Pronger and Niedermyer were long gone...

Retrieved for Pronger were Sbisa, Lupul (Beauchemin) and two picks. They missed the playoff's once, and converted that high pick into Lindholm.

Boom, a contender again.

What they did not do is trade young, coming into their prime players (although they did cough up Gardiner in the Lupul trade as well).

Hard to say if Kesler is a Pronger opportunity equivilent? I'd like to have gotten more for Lou in re-tooling, but that's just moaning. Sideline conversation; what we committed contract wise, what results we got, drama's included, what we promised, then ultimately what we ended up with on Lou is, I am sure, what got MG fired. Anyone who fluff's a $60 million dollar investment deserves their walking papers! I digress. We have already accumulated some young assets (Kassian, Cassels, Gaunce, Jensen) and two top ten picks (Horvat and MDC?). Anaheim converted just such young assets into the incredibly deep crew of talented depth players they enjoy. But are on back top of their game because of maintaining and complimenting their core with those young guys, not a total dismantle.

We might, or might not be already positioned to substantially add to our depth with good young players. Probably are, D prospects an exception, notably a PMD. The question is can Kesler and the Twins be as valuable as Getzlaf and Perry. I know your answer on that.

But I believe time is on our side. I also think they (Twins / Kesler) are a strong chance to recover a large part of their form. If so, our recovery will be waaay faster than waiting for young players to become elite. My own strategy would be to start next season with them. If I am wrong, and we are anywhere near the McDavid sweepstakes; let the dismantling begin at the next deadline!!!

Would entertain a core D man move at any time, tomorrow if the opportunity came up. Not down on any one guy, but see us like Philly as having lots of good guys but a poor balance. Specifically missing a puck whizz / speedster and cap room / roster spot for him on the blue line because we are over invested.

Kesler was broken and Daniel got Keith'd. Those two things don't happen and we likely go on another long playoff run in 2012.

@#$% happens. That does not equate the 2012 team to "floundering" or anything similar despite all the blathering on here to the contrary.

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen

By all means if we're offered a stellar package for Kesler, we'd certainly have to consider/pursue it and in the long run may even work out best for the team. It would fairly instantly fast forward the youth movement and would certainly shake up the roster.

I'd love it if we could get say Draisaitl/Perlini/Tuch AND Fleury out of this draft.

I would consider any one of the top 5 + Virtanen, ehlers, Tuch, Fleury Ritchie a coup for this team. Add in a possible DeAngelo or (in the event of a Ritchie draft pick) Cornel in the 2nd as well a serious jump forward for this team.

I am not of the mind that trading kesler for anything less than Maata or Pouliot a 1st AND either another prospect 1st round pick or solid roster player is beneficial. When I say I want him moved I mean for nothing less than what he's worth.

And by worth I mean this team has traded him, had another off year and is competing again the following.

I still see 2015 being an off year for the team, which is why i see a trade of Kesler as beneficial as I do not see him staying through another off year when he is set to walk soon after, at that point his return is that much less than it should be.

Anaheim dropped out of the play off's once amongst cat calls to dismantle. Pronger and Niedermyer were long gone...

Retrieved for Pronger were Sbisa, Lupul (Beauchemin) and two picks. They missed the playoff's once, and converted that high pick into Lindholm.

Boom, a contender again.

What they did not do is trade young, coming into their prime players (although they did cough up Gardiner in the Lupul trade as well).

Hard to say if Kesler is a Pronger opportunity equivilent? I'd like to have gotten more for Lou in re-tooling, but that's just moaning. Sideline conversation; what we committed contract wise, what results we got, drama's included, what we promised, then ultimately what we ended up with on Lou is, I am sure, what got MG fired. Anyone who fluff's a $60 million dollar investment deserves their walking papers! I digress. We have already accumulated some young assets (Kassian, Cassels, Gaunce, Jensen) and two top ten picks (Horvat and MDC?). Anaheim converted just such young assets into the incredibly deep crew of talented depth players they enjoy. But are on back top of their game because of maintaining and complimenting their core with those young guys, not a total dismantle.

We might, or might not be already positioned to substantially add to our depth with good young players. Probably are, D prospects an exception, notably a PMD. The question is can Kesler and the Twins be as valuable as Getzlaf and Perry. I know your answer on that.

But I believe time is on our side. I also think they (Twins / Kesler) are a strong chance to recover a large part of their form. If so, our recovery will be waaay faster than waiting for young players to become elite. My own strategy would be to start next season with them. If I am wrong, and we are anywhere near the McDavid sweepstakes; let the dismantling begin at the next deadline!!!

Would entertain a core D man move at any time, tomorrow if the opportunity came up. Not down on any one guy, but see us like Philly as having lots of good guys but a poor balance. Specifically missing a puck whizz / speedster and cap room / roster spot for him on the blue line because we are over invested.

Again, of the 4 I would see moved, Kesler and Edler top that pile, Hansen/Burrows or Bieksa second it. Both in terms of return for the team, and the freed up cap space and roster spots needed for the youth to enter the line up

I have no interest in trading younger players picks or prospects at all.

1 more off year is what this team needs in terms of bad medicine to move forward in to contention again. The return coupled with consecutive years of high draft picks (or possible lottery win) with a still young ish core of vets is precisely what i feel this team needs.

I do not in any way shape or form advocate a total rebuild or dismantling, but at least 2 members of either the top 6 and top 4 need to go to rejuvinate the team.

Again, of the 4 I would see moved, Kesler and Edler top that pile, Hansen/Burrows or Bieksa second it. Both in terms of return for the team, and the freed up cap space and roster spots needed for the youth to enter the line up

I have no interest in trading younger players picks or prospects at all.

1 more off year is what this team needs in terms of bad medicine to move forward in to contention again. The return coupled with consecutive years of high draft picks (or possible lottery win) with a still young ish core of vets is precisely what i feel this team needs.

I do not in any way shape or form advocate a total rebuild or dismantling, but at least 2 members of either the top 6 and top 4 need to go to rejuvinate the team.

Bang on.

Of all the things that happened, this is why we need some youth next season. Given how well Jensen looked, it might be a good idea to have in the lineup to have some youth and energy.

It seems like its time to slowly fade in some youth.

Sedin, Sedin, Jensen

Rather keep Tanev. A fourth line with Higgens, Matthias, and Richardson, are there many better?

Boom, a contender again.

Very well said, I believe a Kesler move could certainly do that for us. No need to dismantle, and you could never get rid of the twins anyways but moving just one core piece could do wonders. Bring in 2 or more bright young players (can be high picks or prospects) to add to Horvat and the gang and we'll be pretty strong in a few years.

It does hurt to take him out of our lineup but that's life. If you want to be better in years come you make the sacrifice and hurt somewhat now for major future gains. Could mean a shot at the cup vs struggling to stay competitive.

Technically Jensen and Kassian were pretty good this year. The Sedins and Kesler on the other hand were an issue.

Jensen scored 3 goals in 17 games. He was a non-factor.

Kassian scored half his points from February onwards -when the season was lost.

On the other hand this team is nothing without the twins and Kes.

The new GM coming in has some very tough decisions to make. Do you trade Kesler, a stud 2 way forward that can put up points and is on a favorable contract at 5 mill for the next 2 seasons? Personally I let Kesler play out his contract, because you don't find a player with his skillset at that price. Then the question is who is the playmaking left winger a la Samuelson, that you can get to play with him.

Do you trade the only assets that we have on the blueline in Tanev and Stanton. Both great prospects but could you get a higher return for a stud defenseman by packaging one of them in a trade?

Do you let Horvat and Jensen make the jump to the NHL? are there any other rookies that might make the team as well? You have to know this in the summer so you can decide whether to sign free agents or go with youth.

Who do you draft? at 6 one of the top 5 could fall to us but after that do we go for ritchie, virtanen, nylander or ehlers? all have great upside, but play different styles.

Who is your coach? I don't see Torts returning. It was a learning experience for the team to shake up the coaching, but chalk it up as a learning opportunity and give the players a chance to learn from somebody new.

Is Lack your number 1 goalie or do you bring in a veteran to be a mentor, or backup, or do you just go with the 2 young Swedes

I don't envy The new GM and I hope it's Jim Benning, but whoever it is I want to see our prospects stay with the club and develop.

From Trevor: Teams understand that people want to move up in their careers.

Sounds like it's assistant GM's on his list. He won't say how many names on his list. But he hopes to try to start interviews next week.

GO TREV!!!!

Interesting, talked with Kesler and Kesler has some "concerns". But they are continuing to talk....

The new GM coming in has some very tough decisions to make. Do you trade Kesler, a stud 2 way forward that can put up points and is on a favorable contract at 5 mill for the next 2 seasons? Personally I let Kesler play out his contract, because you don't find a player with his skillset at that price. Then the question is who is the playmaking left winger a la Samuelson, that you can get to play with him.

Do you trade the only assets that we have on the blueline in Tanev and Stanton. Both great prospects but could you get a higher return for a stud defenseman by packaging one of them in a trade?

Do you let Horvat and Jensen make the jump to the NHL? are there any other rookies that might make the team as well? You have to know this in the summer so you can decide whether to sign free agents or go with youth.

Who do you draft? at 6 one of the top 5 could fall to us but after that do we go for ritchie, virtanen, nylander or ehlers? all have great upside, but play different styles.

Who is your coach? I don't see Torts returning. It was a learning experience for the team to shake up the coaching, but chalk it up as a learning opportunity and give the players a chance to learn from somebody new.

Is Lack your number 1 goalie or do you bring in a veteran to be a mentor, or backup, or do you just go with the 2 young Swedes

I don't envy The new GM and I hope it's Jim Benning, but whoever it is I want to see our prospects stay with the club and develop.

Yep definitely. Those are franchise changing decisions that all have the be made. Never thought of it that way, wow.

Archived