The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2014 IIHF World Championship Thread (Bieksa named Captain)

Maybe it's because his back-ups are David Leggio of the Hershey Bears and Connor Hellebuyck of U of Mass. I'm surprised no other American NHL goaltender is at the tournament (like Schneider, Montoya, Bachman, Clemmensen, to name a few).

Maybe they all feel about Timmy Thomas like most of the rest of the world does .. 'wing nut'

Maybe they all feel about Timmy Thomas like most of the rest of the world does .. 'wing nut'

There's always that, but the Stars were in the first round of the playoffs. Generally, most of the international team is locked down before that with a few spots open for guys that get booted out of the playoffs quickly.

So if the Stars had upset the Ducks, the Americans wouldn't have an NHL goalie at all.

Not if you want the team to play with more fire.

Sorry, but we've done the Swedish captain thing before and we've seen where it leads.

I don't want a captain that seems okay with losing. I want a captain that shows his emotion when they lose. Not in a Lucic sort of way, but the way someone like Toews acts.

If this team wants a change in identity it has to include the captaincy too IMO.

Give Hank and Dank the "A" and Bieksa the "C".

Thomas has already cost them several games. Now is the time they should be giving those other guys a chance because figuring out that Thomas is not good enough later is going to be more of a problem. Thomas looks terrible positionally, seems to have trouble following the play, is often only good for a single save and any rebounds (which are numerous and often juicy) better be cleaned up by the Dmen or it's going back of the net. Most of the goals against him have been weak and some of the best saves in their games come from his Dmen jumping in behind him when he's slid out of position yet again. I always thought he was made to look better than he was by the tight Boston defense, but I'm guessing that year off didn't do him any favors either. His days as anything other than a backup of last resort are done.

Like you I can't believe they couldn't get any other US goalies to go. I thought for sure Schneider would have gone since he really wanted to do the Olympics and didn't get invited. Maybe his wedding is this summer and he didn't want to do it? Otherwise, get on the phone and beg him to hop on a plane immediately!!

I know Van fans love to rag on Thomas and as he struggles at the Worlds it is like piling on. Capping that by suggesting Thomas was made to look good by the Boston defense is a stretch. His play in the 2011

CUP playoffs was world class. He beat Lu and I have come to terms with that.

I gave all credit to both American and Canadian players who head off to Euroland to play in the Worlds.

It is not great hockey but they do it for their countries and I thank them for it.

Quarterfinal matchups are set:

Thursday May 22:

23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png United States (B2) vs. 23px-Flag_of_the_Czech_Republic.svg.png Czech Republic (A3) - 5:45 am

23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png Russia (B1) vs. 23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png France (A4) - 6:45 am (TSN2)

23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.pngCanada (A1) vs. 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.png Finland (B4) - 9:45 am

23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png Sweden (A2) vs. 23px-Flag_of_Belarus.svg.png Belarus (B3) - 10:45 am (TSN2)

Edit: Canada's start time has been moved to 9:45 am PST

I know Van fans love to rag on Thomas and as he struggles at the Worlds it is like piling on. Capping that by suggesting Thomas was made to look good by the Boston defense is a stretch. His play in the 2011

CUP playoffs was world class. He beat Lu and I have come to terms with that.

I gave all credit to both American and Canadian players who head off to Euroland to play in the Worlds.

It is not great hockey but they do it for their countries and I thank them for it.

If you think the SCF was decided by Thomas beating Luo, as opposed to the Bruins beating the Canucks, I think we've identified your problem. It wasn't a goalie battle, as that supposes that all other aspects of the teams' play were nearly identical. That might be the fanciful thinking that makes it easier for you to swallow the loss, but it's still not reality.

Only very rarely can a goalie can stand on his head and look good all on his own. Most games, they look better or worse with their team. We saw it with Thomas in Boston just as surely as we saw it with Luo and every other goalie we've had. When a team is playing well defensively a good goalie will usually look great, and when a team is playing bad defensively a good goalie will usually look bad.

The problem with Thomas in this tournament is that it's not the team play making him look bad. In fact, it's the opposite. They're actually making him look better than he's playing by blocking shots, clearing out rebounds and even diving in behind a (yet again) out of position Thomas to make the saves themselves. They're working their butts off, both defensively and offensively, while he's having trouble following the play, getting into and staying in position, and generally not looking like the goalie he used to be, even accounting for the fact that he no longer has one of the best defensive squads in front of him. He's struggled this entire season no matter what team was in front of him. That's just simple observation based on facts, not left over resentment from the SCF.

And I find it absolutely unbelievable that you would be so grateful for him representing his country, as opposed to calling on the coach to try someone else, if it were your country his .868 SV% (or 19 out of 21 ranked goalies) were representing...

If you think the SCF was decided by Thomas beating Luo, as opposed to the Bruins beating the Canucks, I think we've identified your problem. It wasn't a goalie battle, as that supposes that all other aspects of the teams' play were nearly identical. That might be the fanciful thinking that makes it easier for you to swallow the loss, but it's still not reality.

Only very rarely can a goalie can stand on his head and look good all on his own. Most games, they look better or worse with their team. We saw it with Thomas in Boston just as surely as we saw it with Luo and every other goalie we've had. When a team is playing well defensively a good goalie will usually look great, and when a team is playing bad defensively a good goalie will usually look bad.

The problem with Thomas in this tournament is that it's not the team play making him look bad. In fact, it's the opposite. They're actually making him look better than he's playing by blocking shots, clearing out rebounds and even diving in behind a (yet again) out of position Thomas to make the saves themselves. They're working their butts off, both defensively and offensively, while he's having trouble following the play, getting into and staying in position, and generally not looking like the goalie he used to be, even accounting for the fact that he no longer has one of the best defensive squads in front of him. He's struggled this entire season no matter what team was in front of him. That's just simple observation based on facts, not left over resentment from the SCF.

And I find it absolutely unbelievable that you would be so grateful for him representing his country, as opposed to calling on the coach to try someone else, if it were your country his .868 SV% (or 19 out of 21 ranked goalies) were representing...

Very well said .. personally, I dislike Timmy for his politics more than I do for his incomprehensible 'goalie style' or his relative success ..

Sorry, but we've done the Swedish captain thing before and we've seen where it leads.

I don't want a captain that seems okay with losing. I want a captain that shows his emotion when they lose. Not in a Lucic sort of way, but the way someone like Toews acts.

If this team wants a change in identity it has to include the captaincy too IMO.

KB is one of my fav players but I dont see captain level consistency in his play.

I agree with your point on towes. but we dont have a towes.

Hank is captain till a leader from the new core emerges.

Imo there is no point in a C switch musical chairs game within the stale old core. When their collective time is finally over a new C will hopefully happen naturally.

Yeah don't strip Hank of the 'C'

Bieksa is one of the key leaders on our team, he can fire up our team whether he is wearing an 'A' or the 'C'. I don't see what changing the letter on his jersey does to influence that.

The 'C' should take the high-road & be the diplomat when fronting for the organization with the media...but let Bieksa be his smart-allecky-self while wearing the 'A'.

Juice could still be a prankster, capable of trading barbs with members of the media...and saying the things we're all thinkin', but not putting the entire Canucks organization into media fire-storms by having his every sound-bite or statement open to constant mis-interpretation or mis-quoting by mischievious eastern media types. For these same reasons, I would suggest that Joe Thorton would make a better 'A' than a 'C' for the Sharks. Foot-in-mouth-disease, a propensity for sarcasm, tantrums & general childishness...doesn't look very good on Joe, either. He gets away with it somewhat in San Jose, where they're out-shone on the sports' pages tho'.

In our rabidly-covered hockey market...compared to the relative obscurity of Minsk,... Bieksa would suffer a similar fate. He's certainly intelligent enough,...inspirational, sharp, cocky, witty & bold...but he could cut even deeper with his witt as an 'A'....with Henrik taking the immaculate high-road just like Sakic...Yzerman...Modano...Naslund & Linden have all done,... tempering the organization's stance after any PR flare-up. That's good politics. The only way to smear-campaign a Sedin is to claim...timidity...'cuz they're just so freakin' saintly! The league's kingpins, who control that vast eastern media hourde,... had to try something to deflect attention away from the im-balanced refereeing standards & inexplicable non-calls. Their deflection technique was to attempt to paint the twins as players who'd over-sell anything for a call, or accuse them of being too afraid to fight or stand-up for themselves...instead of just acknowledging that they are 2 of the most honorable players in the game, who exercise phenomenally focused-determination & discipline.

Go Bxa! :towel:

Somebody else beat me to pointing out Hodgson's success. Got the 2knd assist on that goal.

So should the Canucks make Bieksa captain next season?

I think as Henrik gets older and his production continues to go down, the pressure is going to start to mount on him. We saw it happen with Naslund.

Bieksa seems like the type of guy that doesn't let pressure affect him. He's also a vocal guy in the room that gets the guys going.

Henrik has been a great captain, but I would support a change next season.

Bieksa is a good choice as captain. I especially like a guy who was never expected to be more than a role player. But he has been! Everybody has to respect that. Bieksa has also been happy to play a "role players" role, lead off the ice, stand up for guys on the ice. Even after he had 40 point seasons (39 anyway). There is also something to be said for keeping things loose. He's funny, and helps guys out! Not a bad selection Kevin Bieksa.

But not a better selection than Hank. C'mon, who wants to win more than Hank? Who played through broken ribs and (if reports are correct) broken fingers and hand bones this year? Look at the iron man streak; 2knd longest in history including international play, play off's and the lockout years games abroad. Who took criticism over losing the SCF, then showed up with the highest VO2 fitness scores in the entire league the next training camp?

And who is more capable of putting the team on his back and forcing a march towards winning?

Go Bxa! :towel:

Somebody else beat me to pointing out Hodgson's success. Got the 2knd assist on that goal.

Bieksa is a good choice as captain. I especially like a guy who was never expected to be more than a role player. But he has been! Everybody has to respect that. Bieksa has also been happy to play a "role players" role, lead off the ice, stand up for guys on the ice. Even after he had 40 point seasons (39 anyway). There is also something to be said for keeping things loose. He's funny, and helps guys out! Not a bad selection Kevin Bieksa.

But not a better selection than Hank. C'mon, who wants to win more than Hank? Who played through broken ribs and (if reports are correct) broken fingers and hand bones this year? Look at the iron man streak; 2knd longest in history including international play, play off's and the lockout years games abroad. Who took criticism over losing the SCF, then showed up with the highest VO2 fitness scores in the entire league the next training camp?

And who is more capable of putting the team on his back and forcing a march towards winning?

Those high VO2 fitness scores used to be a signifigant part of the twins success out there. You know...out-hustling, out-working & out-lasting their opponents, by cycling until 1 or 2 of their opponents gas-out & cannot change for fresher legs. Hank & Daniel patiently awaited the inevitable break-down, watched for an opening, threaded the perfect pass...,& sniped an accurate shot...to score! Last year Torts took all of their advantages away. He gassed 'em early. Torts wasted their energies in defensive situations & double-shifted 'em, while ignoring his fourth-line. That was a recipe for NO more answering-back shifts post PK... & more team turn-overs, mistakes, extra penalties...& former advantages lost.

Gaudreau is going to be unbelievable at the NHL level. Just another thing that DeNiro is wrong about.

I'm glad there are some sane Canucks fans who don't argue just for the sake of arguing :lol:

He was the best player when he played in the WJC, best player in the NCAA the last couple of years, and he's been the best forward on the US team playing against grown men. I seriously can't wait for the season to start so he can prove the doubters wrong AGAIN.

I'm glad there are some sane Canucks fans who don't argue just for the sake of arguing :lol:

He was the best player when he played in the WJC, best player in the NCAA the last couple of years, and he's been the best forward on the US team playing against grown men. I seriously can't wait for the season to start so he can prove the doubters wrong AGAIN.

You're on a canucks board hyping a flame I dunno what you expect other than mostly arguments, if you want everyone to praise johnny go to a flames board ;)

Archived