The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Spezza, Phaneuf being shopped to Western Conf

I can't , seeing as how he can't play a lick of defense. Definitely not a Hitchcock type player.

Call me crazy but I wouldn't mind Phaneuf if the Leafs retained some salary. I think him and Hamhuis would make a pretty effective pairing.

STL will bite on any top six center available this off-season.

Stastny, Eric staal, Spezza... all will be looked at in STL.

Don't think they'll want to pay the Eric staal price.

Interested in phaneuf..salary retained and booth goes the other way in a package.

Need more toughness in defense. Bieksa cant do all the fighting

Phaneuf is one of the biggest cowards in the League .. he only fights when he gets to throw the first punch and 'you dinna know it be coming, lad' .. otherwise, he will turtle before he will defend himself against ANYONE who is determined to kick his butt .. he acts tough with Euros and midgets, but other wise he is 100% guarnteeeeeeeeeeeeed feline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya a bonafide 1C that's proven that over the years sucks. He had one bad year, and so did Henrik Sedin. Using that logic, you think Hank sucks?

your a leafs fan... turn on your tv once in a while. step away from your laptop. watch him play. ask yourself. "do I fear he will score when he is on the ice?" spezza is a hollow shell of what he used to be. he is terrible in his own end lately and isnt a regular threat to score.

and then there is that cap hit.

why do you want an aged black dwarf of a star with a 7mill cap hit on our (retooling) team?

SMH

I think Spezza could be an interesting option for ONE last hurrah for this core before everyone finally accepts that a rebuild is necessary. Because I feel the organization isn't quite ready to pony up for the rebuilding process yet.

Absolute NO to Phaneuf. I will not watch 7 years with that overpaid drug fiend playing for the Canucks.

Nor will I .. I will be cheering for the Sens.

You can say he's a leafs fan and all but it's not like he's wrong.

Spezza is a regular threat to produce when he's on the ice. You can't argue that, and yes I do fear a 70 point center.

just looks like a floater to me these days. him being a leafs fan wasnt a dig. I hope you (and he) didnt think that. I mentioned it because he probably watches spezza play quite often being a leafs fan.

You can say he's a leafs fan and all but it's not like he's wrong.

Spezza is a regular threat to produce when he's on the ice. You can't argue that, and yes I do fear a 70 point center.

Better than the 7 million/year, 50 point/year one that we already have....

Phaneuf has played on the the friggin Leafs for the last couple of years and maintained a relatively even plus/minus throughout while facing the first lines of most teams. Say what you want about him but if he were on this team he's easily a top pairing calibre player. So much underrating going on here because they play in the East.

I'd do Edler + Hansen+ 4th round..

I honestly think that Edler would be willing to waive so he could play with Erik Karlsson. They'd almost automatically become one of the best defensive pairings in the league. If I was Ottawa, I'd jump all over that.

I laugh at all the Spezza haters, the guy is PPG throughout his whole career, just this season he had 66 points in 75 games, alot more than Henrik who had 50 in 70 games playing alongside his brother.

Spezza isn't old either he is only 30 years old, if you want to argue plus/minus (which I think is stupid) he was -26 this year on a pretty bad Senators team. I would do a Kesler for Spezza swap anyday.

Edler+ Hansen would be as high as I would go.

I wouldn't mind throwing in a 4th as well. Spezza is better than you think IMO. He's still an offensive threat and could be the play-maker for Kesler that everybody wants. Plus, he could also be a trigger man for the twins since he's actually got a pretty good shot and hockey IQ as well. He's got real gifted hands.

There are several issues associated with going for Spezza eventhough the fan in me wants the guy on Van BAD.

1) He doesn't fit lindens logic of the #bostonmodel nor does he make the team younger. He is a highly expensive rental for a team that can compete for the Cup. The logical team is STL. I recall Elliot Freidman being on Scott Rintouls show a couple of weeks ago and saying STL would be the perfect fit for him if he was moved.

2)Even if we ignore all of this the price is going to be exponentially high,

Bruce Garrioch is an idiot but he knows his Sens stuff well and here is what he thinks.....

Bruce Garrioch @SunGarrioch 1h

Unlike Phaneuf, Spezza's return would be similar to trade deadline rental: Player who can help now, prospect and No. 1 pick. #Sens #Leafs

To me that means the following.

Arpan @rum0r1

Probably would leave Canucks out of the equation. It would have to be something like Jensen+Garrison (maybe tanev)+#6 pick...TOO MUCH

In terms of Phaneuf the two logical spots are Colorado or San Jose.

Archived