The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Spezza, Phaneuf being shopped to Western Conf

This probably makes Kesler’s value less. However Kesler and Spezza are different and give differently to a team.

Thing is, I don't think Spezza and his -26 bring a defensive game. Kesler can still put up points while shutting down other team's top players. If I'm a serious play-off competitor, I'd take Kesler over Spezza.

There are several issues associated with going for Spezza eventhough the fan in me wants the guy on Van BAD.

1) He doesn't fit lindens logic of the #bostonmodel nor does he make the team younger. He is a highly expensive rental for a team that can compete for the Cup. The logical team is STL. I recall Elliot Freidman being on Scott Rintouls show a couple of weeks ago and saying STL would be the perfect fit for him if he was moved.

Spezza doesn't fit the 'Boston model'? David Krejci is all skill and has a similar build/playstyle like Spezza and fits in Boston's model beautifully.

Kesler for Spezza is a terrible deal for the canucks.

There are 6 other teams out there that could use a 1B offensive center like Spezza in the West that can package a better deal than us. Edmonton and Dallas, Chicago and Anaheim. All could offer multiple picks or prospects without blinking on a 1 year rental and potential retirement signing of 5-7 years for Spezza.

We cannot match that.

Nor would I want this team to.

And no, this does not hurt Keslers trade value. he is not an offensive center. An offensive winger yes, shutdown defensive center absolutely. 2 different beasts as it were.

If there was an Edler trade for Spezza, that would be a consideration.

But with Toronto and Nonis right there and Spezza being the Ontario kinda guy he is, I could see something being done around there before anything, especially if Phaneuf can be moved.

In no way shape or form can the Canucks capably say they are rebuilding or retooling with the future in mind with any belief if they start throwing away picks or prospects for a guy like Spezza.

No matter how attractive the ideais, that is to much subtraction for to little addition on a 1 year contract

Not interested in either. Spezza is often injured. And Caveman Phaneuf is paid too much. Other than his big hits, what does he really bring to the table? Most likely, both of these guys are being dangled for a top pick. I don't think 6th overall + is worth giving up for said guys. Spezza, maybe. I just don't see it.

Spezza would be a good fit in Edmonton. They need a true 1C. Hopkins would slot in nicely as a 2C.

Phaneuf would be a good fit in Calgary but I doubt he is traded back there. I believe he'll end up in Anaheim if he does get moved to the west. The Ducks have the pieces to make it happen.

This probably makes Kesler’s value less. However Kesler and Spezza are different and give differently to a team.

Honestly I don't think it does. I don't think Spezza being on the market will effect Kesler's value at all. I don't see the frontrunners (PIT) settling or even wanting Jason Spezza. Kes can play RW as well as C where as Spezza is a C. Sure you can move him around but who knows how that will go.

Bergeron and Toews are proving the importance of a great TWF C and the NHL doesn't have that many, and Kesler is one of them.

But does Spezza want to go to the Jets? If i'm not mistaken he has a NTC in his contract.

I don't know if he wants to go. All I said is that I can see the Jets making a play for him. If he doesn't mind going to Winnipeg, the Jets have the pieces necessary to part with to get him.

I think we will start to see teams less reluctant to pay big bucks and long terms for UFA vets. Everyone is regretting these long term big money deals for stars who have passed their prime.

Archived