The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Spezza, Phaneuf being shopped to Western Conf

@RealKyper: Ontario captains on the way out soon? Independent sources say both #Sens and #Leafs shopping Spezza/ Phaneuf to west conf #NHL teams

Dion Phaneuf's new 7 year, $7M/year cap hit starts next season. That's one bitching closet.

Jason Spezza is in his last year of $7M/year deal.

The Canucks needs both.

Get both.

KANE - SPEZZA - BYFUGLIEN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN

HIGGINS - HORVAT - HANSEN

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - ARCHIBALD

PHANEUF - HAMHUIS

BIEKSA - TANEV

STANTON - CORRADO

LACK

MARKSTROM

Perhaps Pha9 could go to San Jose?

'Neuf, + Kadri(Good Lord, just looked at their mess on capgeek; Nonis better transform into David Copperfield!)

SJ sends...Jumbo Rooster, or Marleau; Havlat; & Braun/Demers. SJ better eat 1 or 2 mill of Havlat's pie-chart.

Very little future for TO in this. They're trading some future(Kadri) to rid an albatross.

The Canucks needs both.

Get both.

KANE - SPEZZA - BYFUGLIEN

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - KASSIAN

HIGGINS - HORVAT - __________

SESTITO - RICHARDSON - ARCHIBALD

PHANEUF - HAMHUIS

BIEKSA - TANEV

STANTON - CORRADO

LACK

MARKSTROM

Please, tell me. How do you propose getting all those players without completely gutting the team?

The only way this really works for the Canucks is if Kelser moves to wing and is fine with it.

Kes could be considered the best available winger on the market so acquiring a centre and moving him to wing may be better for the team than dipping into UFA for a top 6 forward.

Spezza would be Kes' best line mate since Sundin-Demitra. Spezza can produce offence by making players around him better.

Agree entirely ..

Get Toronto or Ottawa to retain salary and I would be interested.

no way would i trade Edler and a 6th overall for Spezza. I know he has been underperforming but thats when GMs make franchise altering mistakes and trade away "Cam Kneely" type players. Lets not have a knee jerk reaction even though I think he's Canucks' best option is to shake things up.

Edler and Hansen (maybe a 2nd or 3rd) for Spezza anyone?

I really like this deal....I think Spezza is the perfect line mate for Kesler...he is the type of playmaker Kesler really needs..yes Spezza is not good defensively but that's what Kesler is for on that line....add in a reliable sniper like Higgins to that line and we look solid.

Also think Edler and Hansen can actually be a really good fit in OTT. Edler & Karlson could make a dynamite 1st pairing and Hansen can add depth....I would prefer to trade 2015 2nd but its not a deal breaker.

Agree entirely ..

The real square peg that doesn't fit in a round hole, is Kesler.

Umberger, Hodgson, Tortorella are all Kesler casualties because Kesler demands to play at center.

He doesn't realize that center means passing and does not mean "center of attention".

I really like this deal....I think Spezza is the perfect line mate for Kesler...he is the type of playmaker Kesler really needs..yes Spezza is not good defensively but that's what Kesler is for on that line....add in a reliable sniper like Higgins to that line and we look solid.

Also think Edler and Hansen can actually be a really good fit in OTT. Edler & Karlson could make a dynamite 1st pairing and Hansen can add depth....I would prefer to trade 2015 2nd but its not a deal breaker.

Heck Kesler and Spezza on the same line and we sign a free agent (Cammalleri?) that might even be our first line.

Cammalleri - Kesler - Spezza

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Jensen

Matthais - Richardson - Burrows

The first line may look soft at first, but let Kesler handle the defense and two-way play and leave the offence to Spezza and Cammalleri and that line could thrive under an offensive/two-way minded coach.

LIke I said in regards to Leafs players... all garbage. Once again, don't take any players the Leafs are shopping. A team as bad as the Leafs shopping a player? must be a terrible player. Let PHaneuf eat out Leafs cap room for now. thanks.

Jason Spezza not bad, not something that will fit our team though since we are not heading in that direction

LIke I said in regards to Leafs players... all garbage. Once again, don't take any players the Leafs are shopping. A team as bad as the Leafs shopping a player? must be a terrible player. Let PHaneuf eat out Leafs cap room for now. thanks.

Jason Spezza not bad, not something that will fit our team though since we are not heading in that direction

I'd take on Phaneuf if TOR retains $2-3M as a 4-5 Dman. Trade away one of our other D for a top pick, Spezza, or... Nyquist? ::D

Man, Leafs are gonna be so screwed if they trade Phaneuf. He's their tough mins d-man (the only legitimate one), and they're gonna trade him? I don't think they realize you can't pick up these type of players in free agency. Lol.

Spezzas advanced stats have been sinking every yr. Have zero interest in acquiring him, but his availability will prob change the dynamics of a possible Kesler deal.

Archived