The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) John Weisbrod to be signed as AGM of canucks

Decided to do a search of weisbrod in sfu's databases which allow me to search newspaper articles and here is what I came up with going through several articles

1) As I am sure most know he started off in the NBA as president then GM for the Orlando Magic. His two biggest moves were trading TMAC and picking Dwight Howard over Emaka Okafor. Both were ABSOLUTELY HATED at the time.

2) The guy is a talent evaluator. What gets missed in the fact he worked in Boston is that he directly reported to Jim Benning. Peter Chiarelli hired him to be under Bennings wing due to the fact they played in Harvard together.

\

Ill update this once I get more info

He's the brain behind trading down and taking Jankowski... When they took him, he said he felt he was the best player in the draft and that he will be an impact player in the NHL. Compaired him to Joe Nieuwendyk Here's the story http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/23/nhl-draft-2012-flames-believe-mark-jankowski-is-steal-of-first-round/

The trade would have been great had they selected Maata with the 21st and Frk, McGinn, or McCabe with the 42nd.

Jankowski may still pan out, but he was taken way too soon.

Can't put that all on Wesibrod. Feaster believed the same thing about him being the best player.

fLames fans hate Weisbrod..... not sure if this is good or bad.

He's guilty by association with Feaster.

Weisbrod was not part of the 2011 draft. He was hired afterwards.

He had a heavy influence in drafting Jankowski in the 2012 draft. A draft many consider the Flames' worst in years.

But he and Feaster appear to have done OK in the 2013 draft with Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuk.

Still, that Jankowski pick has Patrick White written all over it so I'm not sure how good I feel about this guy if the rumour is true.

Lets not forget Benning is a former scout himself. He has no problem recognizing talent on his own.

It never hurts to have more educated input on stuff like this though.

At the end of the day, the GM is the one that has to make the decision.

He's the brain behind trading down and taking Jankowski...

When they took him, he said he felt he was the best player in the draft and that he will be an impact player in the NHL. Compaired him to Joe Nieuwendyk

Here's the story

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/06/23/nhl-draft-2012-flames-believe-mark-jankowski-is-steal-of-first-round/

Interesting thanks for posting.

I wonder if he was behind Monahan, like that kid

On June 27, 2011, Weisbrod was named the Assistant General Manager of Player Personnel of the Calgary Flames after winning a Stanley Cup ring with the Bruins.[2] On December 12, 2013, he was relieved of his duties.[3]

So yes, he was behind the Jankowski draft.

He was not apart of the Bruins team that drafted Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand.

2007 draft: He was part of the Bruins when they selected Zach Hamil in the 1st round, 8th overall (over Couture, McDonaugh, Pachioretty to name a few). In fact, NONE of Bostons picks that yr are currently playing in the NHL. Never heard of most of them.

2008 draft: Bruins selected Joe Colbourne (over Eberle, Del zotto, Gardiner to name a few). Again, none of the players selected in this draft I have heard of, or are still playing in NHL except Colbourne.

After this draft, he was apparently moved to scout the college players in stead of pro players.

My concern level: High

People have an undue hate for Calgary's scouting department.

Sure Girgensons or Maata would look good right now, but Jankowski is too young to write off.

Monahan was a no brainer, but Poirier looks to be a slick pick. Don't know enough about Klimchuck.

Lets not forget they got Gaudreau in Round 4 in 2011.

853707712.gif?1400585631

People have an undue hate for Calgary's scouting department.

Sure Girgensons or Maata would look good right now, but Jankowski is too young to write off.

Monahan was a no brainer, but Poirier looks to be a slick pick. Don't know enough about Klimchuck.

Lets not forget they got Gaudreau in Round 4 in 2011.

The problem is that Weisbrod had nothing to do with the Gaudreau, Poirier, Klimchuk, or Monahan picks.

Archived