The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gretzky: Kopitar is third best player in league

I was among those fans who wanted the Canucks to draft Kopitar when they had the chance, I was a bit peeved when they didn't (and this has nothing to do with Luc Bourdon).

It doesn't surprise me that the Kings snatched him up immediately after. Big mistake on the Canucks' part.

As for the Crosby vs. Toews debate, it's Toews all the way. I would rather take a guy who shows up in the playoffs (when it matters) every year than one who disappears.

I'm not knocking Kane or Toews, but they get the benefit of being the young stars on the best franchise for the last several years and it leads to them getting put on a pedestal above more talented players.

And rightly so they should be on a pedestal. Not only are they elite players, they are winners. Both have two Stanley Cup rings and both have been Conn Smythe winners. Chicago is the best franchise for the last several because of them, not in spite of them! Give them some credit already.

Anyone who has Toews ahead of Crosby is out of their friggin' mind.

Seriously, people. Actually watch the game. Sid is lightyears ahead of Captain Serious.

If not for injuries, Crosby would be one of the most decorated players in NHL history, surpassed only by Howe and Gretzky (in terms of hardware... obviously Mario was better). He'll still probably end up top 10-15 all time.

Toews is an exceptional two-way forward who plays on a great team. Crosby has to carry the Pens, along with Malkin. Crosby plays with Chrs Kunitz and a revolving door of AHLers. Toews plays with Sharp and Hossa. That's a huge difference. Toews didn't even score a goal in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of last year's playoffs and his team still went to the Finals. What does that tell you? I'd argue that Toews isn't even the most clutch player on his team (P. Kane ALWAYS plays his best in big games).

I find it funny that some posters think Crosby is a choker and "disappears". Crosby already has a ring and has captained his team to two Stanley Cup Finals appearances. Even though Toews has a Conn Smythe, Crosby's 2009 postseason is better than anything Toews has on his resume.

Switch Toews and Crosby and Chicago would be a true dynasty.

Kopitar is the third best defensive forward in the league (Towes and Bergeron are better). But he's far from being the best offensive forward...

And to all you morons claiming that Towes is better than Crosby: didn't Captain Boring have like one goal until the Stanley Cup Finals last year? He didn't score that much at least. Yet NOONE talkes about that.

Towes also has better teammates; remove if you don't count Malkin (who is a centre and rarely plays with Crosby) then Chicago has like five guys who are better than everyone on the Penguins...

Stanley Cups are won by teams, not individuals.

I prematurely +1 your post only agree with the Datsyuk part, to me Kopitar is def a top 5 forward.

Toews, Datsyuk and Kopitar are the only guys in the league in my opinion who dominate the definition of 2 way hockey, they excel in both ends of the rink, and put the puck in the net while making their lines and whole team better.

I agree with what you said about Krejci as well, but to say Kopitar is not even close to the top 10 is a stretch in my opinion.

Kopitar is definitely a top 5 2-way forward in the league, but I wouldn't take him ahead of any of these guys

Crosby

Datsyuk

Toews

Tavares

Stamkos

Kane

Malkin

Getzlaf

Lundqvist

Keith

If we picked Kopitar we would have won the cup in 2011.

that would have been the difference for us.

Maybe. Bourdons death did galvanize our squad though. They might not have been the same group without going thru the tragedy.

It's pretty hard to replace your top 10 pick in the deepest draft in history though.

His line mates all year was Justin Williams who had quite a poor year, other than that Bown at times who himself had a piss poor year, he does not play with Richards or Carter so I am not sure how Kopitars linemates > then that of Malkin and Crosby, forst of all there top 6 has both Malkin AND Crosby, they have James Neal, Chris Kunitz who was "good enough on his own merit" to make team Canada. Tavares is a young player on a young team, and Okposo broke out with him this year.

I have no problem with your list, but if I was a GM and I had to build my team around a player I would choose a young Datsyuk, Toews, Kopitar over Malkin, Stamkos and maybe even Crosby.

Either way these guys are undeniably all amazing players and all have stanley cups to support that.

Tavares still has to show me more as he is younger then the rest, I am a big Tavares fan though.

I'll agree with you about Williams and Brown. However i'm of the strong opinion that Kunitz is as good as he is because of Crosby. Dupuis who if i'm not mistaken is usually on wing with Crosby would IMO barely break top 6 on high depth teams like LA, STL, or CHI.

Crosby is also a relatively small player and he really doesn't have anyone protecting him. No one sees Kunitz or Dupuis as "tough guys". Letang and Martin are also injury prone. Kopitar on the other hand has Brown and Doughty. Not trying say Crosby is leagues better than Kopitar because Kopitar is way better on the defensive side, but there's a reason why Crosby is widely regarded as the best player in the league. Having either on the team would be amazing.

As for Tavares his play and work ethic have really caught my attention. My guess is he'd be a consistent top 5'er if NYI didn't have so many mediocre players.

Still in disbelief at the amount of people who think Toews is the best player in the league. He's on the same level as Bergeron, Kopitar. Pretty sure Mike Milbury even said he was the best Blackhawk of all time.

Dem intangibles I guess.

The reasoning is simple, playoff performance matters.

The reasoning is simple, playoff performance matters.

Except when you look at the raw numbers, Toews isn't any more of a playoff performer than Crosby. He happens to play on a way deeper team, leading to Toews getting more credit than he should for his team's success than he rightfully deserves. Hell, Toews isn't even the best player on his team, that's a coin flip between Keith, Hossa, and Sharp.

Kings are going to be in a bit of a cap problem when Anze's contract is up. They have some pretty brutal contracts if you think about them long term. Brown's new deal kicks in at 5.8 over 6 years, Richards looks awful and on the 4th line a lot and has another 6 years at over 5. Carter is a scoring winger and we all know how they fall off and hes signed long term. I'm sure they'll find a way to resign him, but it'll be at the cost of their depth, no doubt.

Except when you look at the raw numbers, Toews isn't any more of a playoff performer than Crosby. He happens to play on a way deeper team, leading to Toews getting more credit than he should for his team's success than he rightfully deserves. Hell, Toews isn't even the best player on his team, that's a coin flip between Keith, Hossa, and Sharp.

Toews is very good defensively, and elevates his game when it matters. Those two things coupled with his solid offense wins cups (I'm aware he is also on a good team). Toews leads the playoffs in GWG's. He scores the big goals when it counts, thats not something Crosby has done in the last two years in the playoffs. But yeah, look at raw offensive stats instead of actually watching the games. I have no idea why I even posted a comment to this when you actually just tried to say Sharp is better than Toews, holy crap.

My top forwards:

1. Toews

2. Crosby

3. Stamkos

4. Kopitar

5. Malkin/Giroux

Stamkos is too one dimensional to be in that top tier. Purest offensive guys? He's top of that list for sure. Right now I think Kopitar is easily top 5.......after Crosby, the rest of the top 5 is interchangeable I think

Archived