The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dan Bylsma a Candidate for Canucks Head Coach

Canucks

Off twitter:

George Richards: Have heard that Dan Bylsma believes the Panthers are waiting on him.

William DePaoil: Bylsma wants the Panthers job.

Josh Rimer: Bylsma now becomes the Panthers frontrunner.

Tough call on Bylsma, beyond the one cup, his record isn't much better than AV"s in the playoffs.

Similar to AV, he doesn't seem very emotional or passionate and his only legitimate question mark on a very talented team was the goaltending of Fleury which was average at best.

You look at Quenneville, Sutter and Babcock and you know there's an intensity and an instant respect that isn't easy to find in a coach. unfortunately for Tortorella he was over the top and a failed experiment. 'Don't know enough about Stevens or Desjardin, just hope they can find a coach that has the right balance.

I must say I have an apprecation for Desjardin after I listened to this video

http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2014/6/7/5788254/the-kesler-departure-and-the-coach-search

Yea It's Willie people, 2nd year in the AHL and going for Calder cup with literally no 1st round picks on his team.

oh and he was Gulutzan's assistant coach for 2 years, we're not getting Bylsma F that,

bylsma is reportedly a top candidate for florida. combine that with speculation that the canucks want the 1st overall, kesler's reported fondness for bylsma and desire to leave vancouver, florida's need to be competitive now, luongo being there and and the history of trades between the two teams and maybe you have a recipe for an eve of the draft blockbuster.

to fla: kesler, garrison, 6th, 36th

to van: bjugstad, gudbranson rfa rights, 1st

So, after the previous coach Therrien gets fired after an SCF finals.

Bylsma comes in and wins in 7 the following year with a team that had a pre injury Malkin, a pre concussion and injury Crosby and a pre injury Staal.

Then...Bylsma does absolutely positively NOTHING.

No Eastern Conference Finals, no Presidents Trophies and multiple first round exits to lesser teams.

The guy couldn't get it done with. Iginla, Murray, Jokinnen, Crosby Dupuis, Letang, Maata, Martin, Malkin, Neal, Orpik and more....

NO thank you. There are much more deserving candidates like Stevens right now, or numerous coaches in the AHL or even CHL like the guy from Portland or Huska from the Rockets.

Repeat, he won a cup riding off of Therriens system and did NOTHING with one of the most talented teams in the last decade.

Pass

Pittsburgh's goal tending has been spotty at best. Might want to factor that into the equation as well as the fact that once teams shut down Crosby (as in this years playoffs) Pittsburgh didn't seem to have much scoring. Acquiring Kesler at the trade deadline (to help Crosby) was a prime directive from the owner. Failing to do this cost Shero his job. Bylsma is simply a casualty of the new GM wanting a coach of his choosing.

:)

Yea It's Willie people, 2nd year in the AHL and going for Calder cup with literally no 1st round picks on his team.

oh and he was Gulutzan's assistant coach for 2 years, we're not getting Bylsma F that,

My pick would be Keith McCambridge who is also coaching in the AHL finals for St. Johns. He has lots of sucess so far coaching in the AHL as a HC for the last 3 seasons 1 Final and 1 CF so far as well as being a assistant coach for the Manitoba moose for a few seasons should have helped build connections with the canucks. He also was a sucessfull coach in the ECHL for Alaska so he had paid his dues in the minors with sucess at every level so far and has worked young players alot so he should be good for managing theyouth movement and being a former player can only help.

Seems like his best players turned on him as well and his playoff record speaks for itself..I'd definitely pass

Personally I hate using a coach's playoff record as an indication of his performance. Torts won the cup, Crawford won the cup - neither got us to a long playoff run.

As for Bylsma, he seemed to have a good run when he first coached the Pens. I just want a coach that rolls four lines (fairly decently/equally - none of this 4th line gets 5mins or less stuff), who can give a role to every player, and definitely can teach and use the young guys effectively - but I guess thats what everyone fan/team wants for their respective team so this is a bit redundant haha ;)

Honestly the coaching situation is a lost cause on CDC. No matter who we end up with there will always be a divide between those who like the new coach selected and those who don't. Might as well say fire Linden and Benning now for failing regardless to please the entire fanbase!

Fire Linden!

Fire Benning!

bylsma is reportedly a top candidate for florida. combine that with speculation that the canucks want the 1st overall, kesler's reported fondness for bylsma and desire to leave vancouver, florida's need to be competitive now, luongo being there and and the history of trades between the two teams and maybe you have a recipe for an eve of the draft blockbuster.

Just can't see Kes waiving to go play in Florida

Highly dubious but would love to see it.

I dont get it.... How does he get that Bylsma is a candidate when the quote is this....

"We've been in meetings all day, so we havent had a chance to really sit down and talk about it," Benning said Friday afternoon of Bylsmas sudden availability. "But he's an interesting name, for sure."

This says nothing of the sort.... must be a slow day at the office and someone is looking for a story.

Archived