Canucks Community

[Report] Dan Bylsma a Candidate for Canucks Head Coach

Canucks

In terms of who I wanted this off-season for coach:

1) Trotz

2) Bylsma

3) Stevens

4) Desjardins

What Byslma did with that Penguins team when they had 1 NHL defenceman and 5 AHL guys on the blueline was outstanding. Malkin and Crosby are one thing, but that team is thin in its bottom-6 and bottom defensive pairing. That team has been through almost the most amount of injuries in the league over the last 3 or 4 seasons and Bylsma has made adjustments along the way to keep them a contender year in year out, despite inconsistent play from his goalie (which he has no control over).

1) Trotz

2) Bylsma

3) Stevens

4) Desjardins

What Byslma did with that Penguins team when they had 1 NHL defenceman and 5 AHL guys on the blueline was outstanding. Malkin and Crosby are one thing, but that team is thin in its bottom-6 and bottom defensive pairing. That team has been through almost the most amount of injuries in the league over the last 3 or 4 seasons and Bylsma has made adjustments along the way to keep them a contender year in year out, despite inconsistent play from his goalie (which he has no control over).

Huh? Martin, Niskanen, Orpik weren't AHLers. He certainly wasn't helped with Fleury's garbage goaltending, I'll admit that. He is young too and it was his first coaching stint in the NHL so I'm sure he's learned a lot and will be a better coach because of it. He did underachieve at the olympics this year and his playoff record sucks.

I'm curious to see if we did end up hiring him, would Kesler change his mind and want to stay? By most accounts he loved playing for Bylsma at the olympics.

How can we possibly hire a coach who couldn't get it done with the Pens roster. I will shade away from Benning and Linden if they go for this guy.

I would rather have someone on the way up than on the way down.

We are going to hopefully have some real talent in this team over the next 2-4 years and I would rather we had a coach who "grew" with the team, not someone who maybe makes comparisons all the time with what he had previously. Bring on Desjardins.

"I'm curious to see if we did end up hiring him, would Kesler change his mind and want to stay? By most accounts he loved playing for Bylsma at the olympics."

Well personally, I really don't care what Kesler wants. He is either keen to stay with Vancouver or he is not. We have had enough second guessing who various players would "get on with" I want to see a coach who coaches and gets on with the GM by producing the style of hockey required.

"The Penguins fans on HF Boards hate him, but we hates AV, so I guess it's not all rational..

Who said "we" hated AV? I and many more didn't think AV was the problem and even some of those who did want him fired said it was because he and the Canucks needed a change, not much mention on "hate'

Well we got a change alright and look what happened.

I just really think Dejardins is the next Babcock/Sutter/Quenville

He has had an A++ Record with youth and we're about to trade Kesler for nothing but,

I don't get it.

Dejardins

Crawford/Houda

Gulutzun

I just really think Dejardins is the next Babcock/Sutter/Quenville

He has had an A++ Record with youth and we're about to trade Kesler for nothing but,

I don't get it.

Dejardins

Crawford/Houda

Gulutzun

I think the man coaching oppisite of WD this Calder final is the better choice for HC and in interviews it sounds almost identical to what babcock would say. Keith McCambridge has had as much sucess as any coach in the AHL last few years and he was a assistant coach with the Manitoba moose for a few seasons so he should have some connections with the canucks. The only thing going against him is his really young age for HC but he has lots of sucess and experience coaching to make up for that.

Trolling? .. again? .. how rare and exotic! .. the subtlety is readily apparent.

You should read the posts again. AriGold is the rational guy, after Vintage acted like an a-hole to a new poster. Half the posts on CDC are complaints about other posts. If a topic is repetitive, don't bother going to the thread and flaming someone for a repetitive topic.

I think the man coaching oppisite of WD this Calder final is the better choice for HC and in interviews it sounds almost identical to what babcock would say. Keith McCambridge has had as much sucess as any coach in the AHL last few years and he was a assistant coach with the Manitoba moose for a few seasons so he should have some connections with the canucks. The only thing going against him is his really young age for HC but he has lots of sucess and experience coaching to make up for that.

not only that but he has experience with the youth.... something we needed for some very long time.

So, after the previous coach Therrien gets fired after an SCF finals.

Bylsma comes in and wins in 7 the following year with a team that had a pre injury Malkin, a pre concussion and injury Crosby and a pre injury Staal.

Then...Bylsma does absolutely positively NOTHING.

No Eastern Conference Finals, no Presidents Trophies and multiple first round exits to lesser teams.

The guy couldn't get it done with. Iginla, Murray, Jokinnen, Crosby Dupuis, Letang, Maata, Martin, Malkin, Neal, Orpik and more....

NO thank you. There are much more deserving candidates like Stevens right now, or numerous coaches in the AHL or even CHL like the guy from Portland or Huska from the Rockets.

Repeat, he won a cup riding off of Therriens system and did NOTHING with one of the most talented teams in the last decade.

Pass

With all due respect to Mr Bylsma but how good can he possibly be if he can't get Crosby, Malkin and Letang over the hump more than once. Two of the best centers in the world, a world class defense man and can't get them past the second round. What makes any of you think he can do better with the players we have.

1) Trotz

2) Bylsma

3) Stevens

4) Desjardins

We need experienced coaches.

My list is;

1) Crawford

2) Byslma

There is no way Linden and Benning are gonna choose an inexperienced NHL coach, especially with a senior team like this

Definitely a quality choice to explore. Hope he and Stevens are there at the finish line. Preferably Stevens, but it comes down to so many things, and it's way too early to see the endgame yet. That even if it's only a few weeks away when the big show will commence.

We live in exciting times.

So, after the previous coach Therrien gets fired after an SCF finals.

Bylsma comes in and wins in 7 the following year with a team that had a pre injury Malkin, a pre concussion and injury Crosby and a pre injury Staal.

Then...Bylsma does absolutely positively NOTHING.

No Eastern Conference Finals, no Presidents Trophies and multiple first round exits to lesser teams.

The guy couldn't get it done with. Iginla, Murray, Jokinnen, Crosby Dupuis, Letang, Maata, Martin, Malkin, Neal, Orpik and more....

NO thank you. There are much more deserving candidates like Stevens right now, or numerous coaches in the AHL or even CHL like the guy from Portland or Huska from the Rockets.

Repeat, he won a cup riding off of Therriens system and did NOTHING with one of the most talented teams in the last decade.

Pass

I can understand if you don't like Bylsma as a coach but holy misrepresentation of "facts" Batman.

Bylsma came into Pittsburgh with 25 games left in the 08-09 season and went 18-3-4 to make the playoffs. You forget (or chose not to add) that Pittsburgh had a record of 27-25-5 and needed to go on a run to actually make it and Bylsma was instrumental in that run.

Also Bylsma's team has only been booted in the first round twice and both times Fleury was conspicuously horrible (not to mention injuries and their rivalry with Philly made things interesting those rounds). Bylsma's Pens were also in the Eastern Conf final in 12-13, don't know why you would say otherwise. You actually can say that Bylsma coached his team to at least the second round in 4 out of his 6 years as their coach (he also won the Jack Adams in the year his team failed to advance to the second round).

Just so people aren't misled, here is Bylsma's actual coaching record: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6406

If you have a beef with Bylsma, by all means share it, but at least try not to make stuff up that just isn't true. His record is pretty great, there are other reasons to not like him though and it is those things I would be interested in hearing about.

Archived