The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dan Bylsma a Candidate for Canucks Head Coach

Canucks

Because Stevens has been a head coach and has shown he can handle an NHL team.

Based on what Linden and Benning have said about aiming to make the playoffs next season, I doubt we'll be bringing in a rookie NHL coach. There's usually too much of a learning curve for these coaches to have success right away. Even the best coaches in the NHL had to fail a few times before going on to be top coaches.

And IMO a Stanley cup is worth more than any trophy, whether as an assistant or a head coach. You don't know what Stevens specific role was in LA, so you can't say that he wasn't an integral part of their success.

Either way, I'd take an Assistant with two stanley cup wins over a head coach with two calder cup wins. We've seen what assistants who have won the cup go on to do as head coaches. There's a long list of examples of success with these guys.

Trading Kesler puts a different spin. They will say playoffs is the goal but we will see. I see at least one more year of not making the playoffs. Depending on Kesler and other trade returns.

Trading Kesler puts a different spin. They will say playoffs is the goal but we will see. I see at least one more year of not making the playoffs. Depending on Kesler and other trade returns.

This

The canucks will compete for the playoffs without kesler but with horvat and etem.

If we miss again its not the worst thing in the world.

Desjardins is a long term coach. Stevens is as if kesler didnt want out and we were rdy for a ufa or two to compete.

Kesler does want out tho and we should get the coach with decades of juniour exp.

Hes coached 2 years as an assistant and in his 2nd gig at the ahl hes in the calder cup.

When stevens was head coach philly had thr longest losing steetch in history.

I think that evens out with the nod going to willie.

With good returns I don't see why they couldn't make it.

Sometimes having a young team with solid veteran leadership is all you need.

Exciting times ahead nonetheless.

Because?

I like Stevens, but to say Desjardins or Johnston are better candidates is just wrong. The only reason people like them is because they're top coaches in the minors, and they haven't had a chance to make mistakes as head coaches in the NHL yet. All hype IMO.

The minors is a long ways from the NHL. Managing young guys and managing NHL vets are two completely different things.

Stevens or Bylsma are the only serious candidates the Canucks should be considering. Making Desjardins head coach just means that the first two have turned us down. I like either Desjardins or Johnston as assistants though.

Interesting take. Stevens as head coach and Desjardins as assistant would be pretty good I think

Can't stress is enough, Bylsma will be a mistake. Look at the teams he's had over the years and what he's done with them. A deaf mute could've won the Stanley cup with his team in '09. He's had stacked teams since and accomplished nothing. He'll come here to a lesser talented team w/o the two best players in the world and a 2nd year goalie. Not to mention, he has to transition from eastern hockey to western. The Pens constantly get bullied out of the playoffs, not sure why we'd want to bring that to Van, that's what we're trying to change in the first place. Furthermore, he hasn't shown an ability to coach and/or develop youth.

Desjardins or Stevens are far better options for the team and the direction they're trying to go.

This

The canucks will compete for the playoffs without kesler but with horvat and etem.

If we miss again its not the worst thing in the world.

Desjardins is a long term coach. Stevens is as if kesler didnt want out and we were rdy for a ufa or two to compete.

Kesler does want out tho and we should get the coach with decades of juniour exp.

Hes coached 2 years as an assistant and in his 2nd gig at the ahl hes in the calder cup.

When stevens was head coach philly had thr longest losing steetch in history.

I think that evens out with the nod going to willie.

But you've gotta think Stevens has learned a lot from The Elephant Man.

In terms of who I wanted this off-season for coach:

1) Trotz

2) Bylsma

3) Stevens

4) Desjardins

What Byslma did with that Penguins team when they had 1 NHL defenceman and 5 AHL guys on the blueline was outstanding. Malkin and Crosby are one thing, but that team is thin in its bottom-6 and bottom defensive pairing. That team has been through almost the most amount of injuries in the league over the last 3 or 4 seasons and Bylsma has made adjustments along the way to keep them a contender year in year out, despite inconsistent play from his goalie (which he has no control over).

Trotz is now Washingtons coach... Your remaining 3 are my same 3 but my order would go:

1)Stevens

2)Bylsma

3)Desjardins

Completely agree with you as well.

I feel that Torts was lost out in the west (and in general for that matter, no practice? he was worse than Allen Iverson), and why not poach the assitant of the best team in the western conference for some inside knowledge on how to be successful in the division the Canucks actually play in? He had minor success with Philladelphia but that was many years ago and coaches, just like players, grow. I think Steves is more than ready for another crack at a head coaching position.

Bylsma had all the tools in the world to succeed in Pittsburgh year after year but they just always came up short. It's hard to think of excuses for his "failure" with the team he had at his disposal. Don't see how Bylsma has proven anything more than any of the other candidates for the coaching position. I don't feel he would be the right fit for the job and I hope that he comes to terms with another team. Perhaps it ends up being Florida, the man has a family after all that he needs to be supported so I wish him all the best for his future career but I hope, as a fan, that it doesn't continue in Vancouver.

It really would mimmic the Tortorella hiring and we know how that turned out now, since we are talking about new candidates for his old position. Idealy in my mind we hire Stevens for the head coaching position and convince Desjardins to join as an assistant if he doesn't find a head coaching job.

Totally agree with you. Bylsma is incredibly over rated. He has shown what he can do with a plethora of top talent and it is not impressive. He won A cup with an incredibly stacked team with the best players in the world and a goalie in his prime. Helen Keller could've coached that team to a cup. He also has no track record for developing youth. Sidney Crosby was mentored by Mario Lemieux so don't even bring that up. He would also have to magically adapt to western conference hockey for us to see any sort of success anytime soon.

I don't get why people think he'll come here to a lesser talented team without the two best players in the league and somehow have success. Hiring him and expecting a better performance out of the Canucks than the Penguins have had over the last few years is unreasonable and plain ignorant.

Stevens is well on his way to a second cup in 3 seasons and will be a part of LA's only cups in franchise history. He had brief head coaching experience and has only gathered more in his time with LA and has had a great mentor in Sutter. They have developed youth and created a very successful style of gameplay in LA. On top of that he has done it with the best team in the west and wont need to deal with changing conferences. I welcome LA's style and ideal's to Vancouver. Maybe he'll bring Van its 1st Stanley cup.

Desjardins has probably the most impressive resume when it comes to developing youth. He has and is currently finding great success in his league. Id like him as a head or assistant coach but I'd prefer him under Stevens. That being said, I don't think he'll be looking for an assistant job and with other teams looking for head coaches, he certainly has the option to take a head coaching job and probably will.

Totally agree with you. Bylsma is incredibly over rated. He has shown what he can do with a plethora of top talent and it is not impressive. He won A cup with an incredibly stacked team with the best players in the world and a goalie in his prime. Helen Keller could've coached that team to a cup. He also has no track record for developing youth. Sidney Crosby was mentored by Mario Lemieux so don't even bring that up. He would also have to magically adapt to western conference hockey for us to see any sort of success anytime soon.

I don't get why people think he'll come here to a lesser talented team without the two best players in the league and somehow have success. Hiring him and expecting a better performance out of the Canucks than the Penguins have had over the last few years is unreasonable and plain ignorant.

Stevens is well on his way to a second cup in 3 seasons and will be a part of LA's only cups in franchise history. He had brief head coaching experience and has only gathered more in his time with LA and has had a great mentor in Sutter. They have developed youth and created a very successful style of gameplay in LA. On top of that he has done it with the best team in the west and wont need to deal with changing conferences. I welcome LA's style and ideal's to Vancouver. Maybe he'll bring Van its 1st Stanley cup.

Desjardins has probably the most impressive resume when it comes to developing youth. He has and is currently finding great success in his league. Id like him as a head or assistant coach but I'd prefer him under Stevens. That being said, I don't think he'll be looking for an assistant job and with other teams looking for head coaches, he certainly has the option to take a head coaching job and probably will.

While I will agree that Pittsburgh is "stacked" compared to some of the other teams in the league, lets remember that Bylsma was working with this over the last couple of years;

-An average defence and an injured Letang (good young prospects though)

-A goalie who is inconsistent

-A Sydney Crosby that looks like he has lost a step or two

-And Brandon Sutter, who many here say they wouldn't have wanted back in a Kesler trade, was their third line center

-a team that struggles with the intensity of the playoffs

I am not saying Bylsma is the greatest coach available, however I don't think it was all roses in Pittsburgh either.

Right now all i'm concerned with is who we draft and i believe Benning will make a wise choice to pick a coach that suits the style of players that are here and are coming here via trade,draft etc. I still think Virtanen will be drafted even though it's thought that he isn't worth # 6 pick, thing is one has to think that it isn't just the ranking of the player, it's the best closest player to the TYPE of player this team needs and that seems to be what Benning seems to be smart enough to go after.

Check where "some" of the elite super stars were drafted by some teams like Pavel Dats for instance... nowhere near the top 10 but detroit was smart enough to go after him and look how he turned out. That is hardly the case in the majority of picks but it has worked out to fit the system and style of teams before and i don't see that changing anytime soon.

You may ask why guys like Virtanen will work out here and for other teams even if a team drops down to get him, well consider what the types of D-men teams are going after. Big puck moving D's that can not only move the puck but big enough to move a player out of the front of the net so it seems wise to have depth in the spot of making it harder for big D to move by having bigger guys going to the net like Virtanen.

Wasn't Willie Dejardins asst. coach for Gulutzan in Dallas?

I don't mind the idea but why would Gulutzan be asst. to Dejardins and not the other way around?

It's also rumoured that Gulutzan was kept on because he worked so well with Kassian,

It's also rumoured Gulutzan got that edge with good players from Willie as his assistant for 2 years in Dallas

Canucks haven't had a passionate captain who can lead the team over the top of the trenches in years!! They need a gritty passionate captain otherwise it doesn't matter who coaches them!

So if it doesn't matter who coaches them then why haven't they won a cup when they had a Gritty passionate Captain in Smyl and Linden?

Archived