The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Dan Bylsma a Candidate for Canucks Head Coach

Canucks

ari's telling it how it is

Well of course, he IS telling it as he 'perceives' it to be .. a marked difference I be thinkin' .. and 'patterned trolling' is still fishin' from a movin' boat.

WE just disagree on who gets to steer .. :)

bylsma is reportedly a top candidate for florida. combine that with speculation that the canucks want the 1st overall, kesler's reported fondness for bylsma and desire to leave vancouver, florida's need to be competitive now, luongo being there and and the history of trades between the two teams and maybe you have a recipe for an eve of the draft blockbuster.

to fla: kesler, garrison, 6th, 36th

to van: bjugstad, gudbranson rfa rights, 1st

That trade would make me a Benning/TL 'believer' for all the rest of my days .. and it fills both teams needs ..

Well of course, he IS telling it as he 'perceives' it to be .. a marked difference I be thinkin' .. and 'patterned trolling' is still fishin' from a movin' boat.

WE just disagree on who gets to steer .. :)

You can steer, I'll be getting drunk in the back..

Edit: Holy crap, haha.. I got a +60 on those 2 posts lol..

Bylsma is an interesting candidate.

He has accomplished incredible things in Pittsburgh. Not just the Cup but the terrific playoff streak.

One does have to wonder if he was part of their problem, though.

Pittsburgh has an ego. You take away their space, you hit them hard and they get rattled because they know they are superstars. But if several quick and/or embarrassing playoffs exits don't humble them then it's up to the coach.

I liken Pitts to an angry Kesler. When the chips are down, and the team is pissy, he tries to do everything by himself. That's how the Pens play when they are upset.

I like the idea of Stevens just because LA works so hard. But Bylsma has had so much success. Perhaps a team with a little more to prove and a little less fanfare would suit him better.

I'd be ok with him as a consolation prize.

I don't buy it.

"If Bylsma enters the mix"........he'll be among Johnston, Stevens and Desjardins.

This sounds more like McIntyre wish listing him than a "report."

My opinion - Bylsma is not a candidate.

Well I will be concerned about our management team if they don't consider Bylsma a candidate. You don't brush off a big name coach if you are being diligent. He might not be a frontrunner but he for sure is a candidate.

Tough call on Bylsma, beyond the one cup, his record isn't much better than AV"s in the playoffs.

Similar to AV, he doesn't seem very emotional or passionate and his only legitimate question mark on a very talented team was the goaltending of Fleury which was average at best.

You look at Quenneville, Sutter and Babcock and you know there's an intensity and an instant respect that isn't easy to find in a coach. unfortunately for Tortorella he was over the top and a failed experiment. 'Don't know enough about Stevens or Desjardin, just hope they can find a coach that has the right balance.

The right balance is ...both John Stevens & Willie Desjardins.

The chess-gaming video tactician ...& the motivating cheerleader...both with their eyes open enough to see that creativity is required in the offensive zone....and that discipline & continuity are required in the defensive zone. They are both good men. Stevens like Manny Malhotra,...focused & a perfectionist, excellent at what he does. Desjardins like Stan Smyl, a good listener & positive communicator with loyalty & a belief system that is 2nd to none.

Stevens wont leave his current position in LA, unless it is for an up-grade. Desjardins has worked with Gulutzan before and is seemingly less-ambitious... & more goal-focused. What better goal than to bring a starved market like VAN their 1st Stanley Cup in the modern era after 43 years?! It's a challenge that will enshrine them all... if they can accomplish it together.

I hope they will both accept this challenge, and that the Canucks will get the best that both men have to offer, as a result.

I think Bylsma and Desjardins wouldn't be bad. Even with the reports of Bylsma not being so good with the pens, I still trust him more than Stevens as a head coach. Stevens is probably one the best assistent coaches in the game but he failed so horribly last time around as a head. I think the Canucks need a proven guy at this moment. Just my 2 cents on it.

I think Bylsma is a decent coach but he is gettin overrated a little bit in my opinion. He just hasn't gotten it done to the extent that it was expected from the Penguins. They always come up short and don't play consistantly enough for their capabilities during the season either. He is still a good coach but I thinkt here are is a better option out there and that is John Stevens.

He knows the west a lot better than Bylsma, has been apart of Sutters coaching staff turning the Kings into a NHL leading franchise.

1. Stevens

2. Bylsma

3. Desjardins

I think Bylsma is a decent coach but he is gettin overrated a little bit in my opinion. He just hasn't gotten it done to the extent that it was expected from the Penguins. They always come up short and don't play consistantly enough for their capabilities during the season either. He is still a good coach but I thinkt here are is a better option out there and that is John Stevens.

He knows the west a lot better than Bylsma, has been apart of Sutters coaching staff turning the Kings into a NHL leading franchise.

1. Stevens

2. Bylsma

3. Desjardins

1. Stevens

2. Bylsma

3. Desjardins

I like your point about a western coach who really knows what it means to play and travel in the west. I don't think Torts really appreciated what that meant until it was too late.

I have to laugh at the sports presstitutes as many bad mouth the Pitt depth. What I heard was that Bylsma had a problem in the dressingroom and neither he or Shero dealt with it. Now they are both gone.

In CUP play it is usually the 'd' side of the game that gets exposed one way or another.

Not high on Bylsma as I think he had a far better team than what showed in a number of playoffs over the past few years and his Team USA performance in Sochi.

The right balance is ...both John Stevens & Willie Desjardins.

The chess-gaming video tactician ...& the motivating cheerleader...both with their eyes open enough to see that creativity is required in the offensive zone....and that discipline & continuity are required in the defensive zone. They are both good men. Stevens like Manny Malhotra,...focused & a perfectionist, excellent at what he does. Desjardins like Stan Smyl, a good listener & positive communicator with loyalty & a belief system that is 2nd to none.

Stevens wont leave his current position in LA, unless it is for an up-grade. Desjardins has worked with Gulutzan before and is seemingly less-ambitious... & more goal-focused. What better goal than to bring a starved market like VAN their 1st Stanley Cup in the modern era after 43 years?! It's a challenge that will enshrine them all... if they can accomplish it together.

I hope they will both accept this challenge, and that the Canucks will get the best that they both men have to offer, as a result.

Wonderfully put .. optimism is our best focus!

Archived