The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours, Off Season Edition

According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Blues will be looking for offense this offseason, likely through the trade market. Senators Jason Spezza is looking for a fresh start. The Ottawa Sun said the Senators could look at Patrick Berglund. The Sens want a first round pick, with the Blues holding No. 21. Ryan Kesler could also be an option. Vincent Lecavalier could be a fallback option. The Flyers won’t get much in return for Lecavalier. CSN Philly said that the Predators, Senators, Panthers, Stars and Flames could be landing spots for Lecavalier.

According to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Blues will be looking for offense this offseason, likely through the trade market. Senators Jason Spezza is looking for a fresh start. The Ottawa Sun said the Senators could look at Patrick Berglund. The Sens want a first round pick, with the Blues holding No. 21. Ryan Kesler could also be an option. Vincent Lecavalier could be a fallback option. The Flyers won’t get much in return for Lecavalier. CSN Philly said that the Predators, Senators, Panthers, Stars and Flames could be landing spots for Lecavalier.

Lecavalier would be very smart for the Blues. Spezza would be ridiculous. But that is, of course, before you remove the bodies necessary to get him AND open up the cap space. They also just lost mortgaging their future for Miller. Kesler is the BPA, but not an offensive juggernaut. I repeat, Vinny would be a very smart play for them.

According to James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail, if the Maple Leafs were to not re-sign Dave Bolland and to fill their fourth line with inexpensive useful players, they could have $13 million in cap space. Could use that money to get a solid center, a top-four defenseman, two depth forwards and a backup goalie. If they bought out Tim Gleason, they could increase their cap space up to $16 million. Pending RFAs in James Reimer and Cody Franson could be traded.

According to David Staples of the Edmonton Journal: Joe Haggerty on Bruins Johnny Boychuk on CBS radio:

“Going back out to Western Canada, maybe that wouldn’t be the worst thing for him (Boychuk), an Edmonton native, and something he might be amenable to. I know he loves Boston though and he doesn’t want to leave. But if he’s going to sign that big contract I think it’s going to be somewhere else, it’s not going to be with the Bruins after this coming season…”

They talked about the possibilities of Winnipeg and Edmonton. Edmonton is willing to take on salary. Staples thinks Boychuk is something the Oilers could use in terms of “size, toughness, defensive play and hockey smarts.” If the Bruins don’t think they can sign him long-term, they could look to move him. Staples adds that with Zdeno Chara being 37-years old, they might be willing to step and sign him long-term. Staples wonders if the Bruins would do a Oscar Klefbom or Martin Marincin for Boychuk deal? Would they go for a Jeff Petry for Boychuk deal? Boychuk has a modified no-trade clause.

According to James Mirtle of the Globe and Mail, if the Maple Leafs were to not re-sign Dave Bolland and to fill their fourth line with inexpensive useful players, they could have $13 million in cap space. Could use that money to get a solid center, a top-four defenseman, two depth forwards and a backup goalie. If they bought out Tim Gleason, they could increase their cap space up to $16 million. Pending RFAs in James Reimer and Cody Franson could be traded.

k well this guy doesnt know much... the leafs already used both their compliance buyouts have they not?

I think Cam Ward for Antti Niemi straight up would be interesting.

Both 30. Cup winners. Probably need a change of scenery.

Ward has a $6.3mil cap hit and Niemi $3.8mil. I think Ward is an upgrade in net which SJS would probably want, and Niemi isn't that far off from Ward while being more affordable.

Cam Ward was really bad this season.

Niemi is probably better than him at this point, if SJ was looking at something like that they could probably get something back seeing as Ward carries a bigger contract and has under preformed.

I think he could still get his game back, but with a contract like that it might be a tough deal for Carolina to make.

Thornton will only waive to a sure bet cup contender.

That means Chicago, LA, or Boston.

He won't be waiving for St.Louis.

STL could be a Thornton & decent goaltending away from being one of the best teams in the West, I don't see why he wouldn't look at STL.

Having he & Backes down the middle then Sobotka or Berglund as the 3C would step that team up a notch IMO.

According to The Fourth Period, Marian Gaborik and the Kings will start contract talks this week. The Kings are thought to want to re-sign Willie Mitchell if he decides not to retire. Robyn Regehr could retire. They are likely to move from Matt Greene, but if Regehr and/or Mitchell retire, they could bring him back. The Kings don’t plan on buying Mike Richards out.

According to Tom Gulitti of the Bergon Record, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said that Bryce Salvador is “100 percent” recovered from his labrum team in his right hip. On Ryane Clowe who suffered another concussion at the end of March, “fine with the knowledge we know.” Lamoriello said he’d like to re-sign Mark Fayne, Ryan Carter, Stephen Gionta and Steve Bernier.Brian Gionta’s agent, Steve Bartlett:

“We’re just kind of in discussions and the next probably few days will be critical to see (what happens),” Bartlett said. “We just kind of got serious about it in the last day or two, so we’ll kind of see what kind of progress we make on that one and whether he becomes a July 1 guy.”

Bartlett on talks with the Lightning regarding Ryan Callahan:

“Whether or not it gets done, it’s really hard to say for me,” Bartlett said. “I think that one could tip either way.”

Bartlett on pending UFA Thomas Vanek:

“He went through three teams in order to stick to that position and I don’t think that’s changing,” Bartlett said. “I think he’s been pretty firm on that for the last year and is going to stick by that. Nothing is going to change between now and July 1on on him, I don’t think.”

doesnt a regular buyout cost the full caphit?

Answered above, answer no not full hit but adjustment in plain English;

- buyouts are 2/3rds the remaining in dollars.

- that 2/3rds is the spread over twice the term in cap hit.

- ex) guy is owed $6 mill over 2 years, gets paid $4 mill (2/3rds) over 4 years or $1 mill per year and the team gets hit the $1 mill against their cap for all 4 years.

STL could be a Thornton & decent goaltending away from being one of the best teams in the West, I don't see why he wouldn't look at STL.

Having he & Backes down the middle then Sobotka or Berglund as the 3C would give step that team up a notch IMO.

"Could be" is not a sure bet cup contender.

Again LA, Chicago or Boston are the only sure bet teams.

Archived