The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Poille - "No, we are not trading Shea Weber."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=722466

Shea Weber not on trade market: Predators GM

NEW YORK -- Nashville Predators general manager David Poile is doing his best to put to rest any rumors that he might be looking to trade captain Shea Weber, who is a Norris Trophy finalist this season.

"We're keeping him, we're building our franchise around him," Poile said from the NHL general managers' meeting Wednesday. "I think we've got one of the best young defenses in the League. I think he's got an excellent chance of winning the Norris Trophy in 11 or 12 days from now. Why wouldn't we build our team around him? That's exactly what we're doing."

The Predators selected defenseman Seth Jones in the first round (No. 4) of the 2013 NHL Draft. He had six goals and 19 assists in 77 games as a rookie.

The defense corps also includes 24-year-old Roman Josi, who is signed through the 2019-20 season. Defensemen Mattias Ekholm, 24, Ryan Ellis, 23, and Michael Del Zotto, 23, who was acquired in January in a trade with the New York Rangers, each can become a restricted free agent July 1.

Poile indicated that he is in the market for forwards to help improve the Predators around Weber.

"When we get that, you'll be saying, 'Imagine that someone ever thought they would trade Shea Weber,'" Poile said. "No, we are not trading Shea Weber."

Weber, 28, has spent his nine-season career with the Predators. He is signed for 12 more seasons and his contract carries a salary-cap charge of $7.857 million.

For people fantasizing Shea can be had, there you have it. There's a reason why Poille matched the crazy offer sheet by Philly. Most the money he gets is front loaded in the contract and Nashville has paid a bunch of it already. No way they especially trade him now with them having paid off so much of the money.

Best dman in the game, he's the face of the franchise there.

Why this announcement though? Is there like rampant speculation in the press?

Ya for a whole season now. The whole offer sheet bit, very high cap hit and a team that seems to produce amazing defenseman.

I thought the oilers could make a play for him as he doesn't have a ntc.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=722466

For people fantasizing Shea can be had, there you have it. There's a reason why Poille matched the crazy offer sheet by Philly. Most the money he gets is front loaded in the contract and Nashville has paid a bunch of it already. No way they especially trade him now with them having paid off so much of the money.

Best dman in the game, he's the face of the franchise there.

He is not the best Dman I think he is severely overrated

Why this announcement though? Is there like rampant speculation in the press?

I know. I've been checking out all the trade news and rumours and haven't seen squat about Shea Weber.

Maybe Poile has been approached by various GMs and wants to deter further offers?

Or maybe he's hoping to drive up what already is an astronomical asking price to ensure that the Predators truly get a kings ransom for him.

All the same, seems odd that this is news.

He is not the best Dman I think he is severely overrated

lel. Sorry but I won't even bother to comment/argue. Partially cause we are entitled to our opinions so I doubt either us changes it and the other being don't want to explain why he is the best :P

lel. Sorry but I won't even bother to comment/argue. Partially cause we are entitled to our opinions so I doubt either us changes it and the other being don't want to explain why he is the best :P

I will. His combination of size (6'4" 234 lbs), hockey sense, leadership, and agility make him a premier defenseman.

He has a mean streak and a 106 mph shot that is frighteningly accurate.

He certainly has an abundance of patience as well considering he has played through some pretty unsuccessful campaigns in Nashville.

There are other great defensemen, but Shea Weber is probably the apex predator (pun intended) of the bunch.

I will. His combination of size (6'4" 234 lbs), hockey sense, leadership, and agility make him a premier defenseman.

He has a mean streak and a 106 mph shot that is frighteningly accurate.

He certainly has an abundance of patience as well considering he has played through some pretty unsuccessful campaigns in Nashville.

There are other great defensemen, but Shea Weber is probably the apex predator (pun intended) of the bunch.

could not have said it any better,l get to watch him play everyday,so i should know how great of a defenseman his is and he is a top dog defenseman.

Archived