The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Willie Desjardin: VAN Head Coach

Strombone1

If Desjardins heads to Vancouver,
might be out an assistant coach as well. Desjardins may take Lidster with him to Canucks.
— 100 Degree Hockey (@100degreehockey)

Lidster was a Canuck defenseman from 1983-1993—a period that overlaps with Linden and Bennings' time on the ice here in Vancouver. Are we seeing a pattern emerge?

Quite the awesome pattern, actually!

wasn't it the other way around? a lot of people wanted Eakins

Last coaching search,...people wanted Stevens,... just like this time, around.

Didnt Stevens interview back then'....if so,... that was the decision where, MG lost his job. Eakins was not going to be the right fit, here tho`...and I dont think that the majority of CDC posters were touting his selection for VAN,.... at all.

Sure, Eakins was an AHL coach with no head coaching experience in the NHL, but then again, Mike Babcock had no NHL coaching experience (head coach or otherwise) when he was hired by the Ducks.

I'm not saying Willie D is following in the footsteps of Babcock, I'm just saying that pointing to Dallas Eakins as an example of why the Canucks should avoid hiring a coach with no experience as the head coach of an NHL club is kind of silly. At some point in their lives, all the best coaches in the history of the NHL had no head coaching experience...

Great hire if the rumours are true. Willie has a ton of coaching experience (he has been coaching since 1985 compared to Eakins who started coaching in 2005) and he is an all around great guy from my personal experiences. Plus when Willie was coaching in Medicine Hat the team played a speedy and offensive game. Hopefully he will try and emphasize that in Vancouver.

I don't think Pittsburgh is necessarily the best option for a coach. Not a lot to back up the 2 top stars, and we don't know much about the new GM. Plus, if that Babcock rumor is true, no coach would want a job where he is just there to buy time. I am also cautiously optimistic. I really wish we had hired Trotz however I think the logic behind hiring Desjardins is that he will be good with working with young players. They may not be saying it, however I feel the youth movement/rebuild is on it's way.

As opposed to Vancouver..... :rolleyes:

so the CDC laughed at Edmonton when they hired Dallas Eakins and said who wants an inexperienced coach anyways...

and now...hmmm <_<

I don't remember that at all. In fact I remember the opposite. I remember a large majority saying, something like "dang, makes sense for him to go to edmonton but dang, I really wanted him." In fact I was an Eakins supporter. (At least more than I was Tortorella) I noticed that's a pattern on this sight. Some people consistently bash CDC, or all the members of the forum often for really no reason. I don't understand why

&amp;nbsp;

As opposed to Vancouver..... :rolleyes:

&amp;nbsp;

It is opposed to Vancouver. Two very different choices, although I guess one could argue that we only have two stars as well. Pittsburgh is in a try and win now phase. We are in a build and grow phase. The build and grow phase is better suited for a coach used to working with younger players in my opinion.

If Desjardins heads to Vancouver,
might be out an assistant coach as well. Desjardins
may take Lidster with him to Canucks.
— 100 Degree Hockey (@100degreehockey)

Lidster was a Canuck defenseman from 1983-1993—a period that overlaps with Linden and Bennings' time on the ice here in Vancouver. Are we seeing a pattern emerge?

I heard that Jerry Seinfeld has really developed into a very good coach. He'd be a great addition.

A lot of people wanted Eakins yes, but when we lost him, people turned sour.

I don't remember a single example of the 'sour grapes' syndrome that you are talking about. People liked Eakins and people didn't like Eakins. Him getting hired by Edmonton didn't seem to turn Eakins' supporters into naysayers (at least not until his disastrous regular season).

I don't remember that at all. In fact I remember the opposite. I remember a large majority saying, something like "dang, makes sense for him to go to edmonton but dang, I really wanted him." In fact I was an Eakins supporter. (At least more than I was Tortorella) I noticed that's a pattern on this sight. Some people consistently bash CDC, or all the members of the forum often for really no reason. I don't understand why

CDC has a reputation (in most cases a deserved reputation) of being a little bit nuts sometimes. Unfortunately, some people try to strengthen their point by arguing that the consensus around CDC was the opposite of what they are arguing. If CDC = bad and my opinion = opposite of CDC, my argument must be right, regardless of what the argument is

I wanted eakins and then when I saw what a whiny bitch he was I no longer wanted him. I never wanted Torts and I still to this day do not believe that was a MG hiring he was the opposite of everything MG talked about. The way Francesco acted towards newspapers implying he hired Torts only further raises my suspicions on who actually did this hiring.

I'll wait until the dust settles a bit but I kind of hope this is our guy. However, won't lie. I know little about Desjardins until recently, he has a great resume and hopefully it will continue to impress at the NHL level, assuming it's with Vancouver.

NHL.com is reporting it and so is McKenzie. McKenzie has never really steered me wrong, so save for some epic meltdown in negotiations in the end, that's confirmation enough for me.

I'm excited for this new coach. He's had *recent* playoff success and it sounds like he definitely deserves a shot in the NHL. I definitely wasn't wanting Bylsma given his recent postseason track record.

Archived