The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Shinkaruk + 6th > Reinhart. You have the potential for 2 top 6 forwards instead of one on a team that has a pathetic farm you don't give away your picks unless its a for sure thing, which Reinhart is not.

You don't even know what the 6th will be, so not sure how you can say that outright.

Shinkaruk + Ritchie? I still take Reinhart.

You don't even know what the 6th will be, so not sure how you can say that outright.

You do know trading Shinkaruk for Reinhart leaves us with ZERO LW depth right?

Shinkaruk + Virtanen/Ritchie/Nylander/Ehlers > Reinhart.

well we are going to trade kesler so what we get back plus our 6th is better then trading for the 1st when we are trying to get younger players for the future..Like I have posted before teams trading for the 1st usually are not as good as the team getting players for the pick ie Lindros trade.Plus teams trading a superstar player like a Kesler are better taking what they get ie the kessle trade as boston won the cup after doing so.I'd rather take what we get from the Kesler deal and picking where we are at, the trade Kessler and trading for the 1st as we'd be giving up more to make a smaller splash !Can't argue with things that have happened in the past as we learn from them!

I don't care who is selected I'd rather have 2 first round picks than trading away 2 for 1 first round pick.

Reinhart is not thought to be a franchise player so why would you give up 2 first round picks who could possible be top 6 forwards themselves? We don't have the prospects to throw away to risk everything on Reinhart.

You do know trading Shinkaruk for Reinhart leaves us with ZERO LW depth right?

Shinkaruk + Virtanen/Ritchie/Nylander/Ehlers > Reinhart.

We don't need left wing depth right now.

Daniel

Burrows

Higgins

Richardson/Matthias

It can always be filled in with a later pick and/or acquiring a player in a trade.

Shinkaruk and Virtanen/Ehler/Ritchie does nothing to help our center depth, which is going to take a big blow with Kesler leaving. We need a center, which is why Benning is looking to move up.

Daniel

Burrows

Higgins

Richardson/Matthias

It can always be filled in with a later pick and/or acquiring a player in a trade.

Shinkaruk and Virtanen/Ehler/Ritchie does nothing to help our center depth, which is going to take a big blow with Kesler leaving. We need a center, which is why Benning is looking to move up.

Ok even if we do move up for Reinhart this is what our prospect chart would look like:

_____ - Reinhart - Kassian

_____ - Horvat - Jensen

Gaunce - Cassels - Grenier

Fox - Matthias - Archibald

As opposed to:

Ritchie - Horvat - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Gaunce - Jensen

Fox - Cassels - Grenier

Lain - Matthias - Archibald

That's what I meant by LW depth. 2nd line up is a little weak at center but the top six is solid and it isn't rocket science to figure out which line up is better.

I don't care who is selected I'd rather have 2 first round picks than trading away 2 for 1 first round pick.

Reinhart is not thought to be a franchise player so why would you give up 2 first round picks who could possible be top 6 forwards themselves? We don't have the prospects to throw away to risk everything on Reinhart.

Lol. "Risk everything". Way to be over-dramatic.

We trade for Reinhart and trade Kesler, we could still end up with:

Jensen - Reinhart - Virtanen

Lemieux - Horvat - Kassian

we'd be down one prospect, and likely gain back two or more in a Kesler trade.

Ok even if we do move up for Reinhart this is what our prospect chart would look like:

_____ - Horvat - Jensen

As opposed to:

Fox - Cassels - Grenier

That's what I meant by LW depth. 2nd line up is a little weak at center but the top six is solid and it isn't rocket science to figure out which line up is better.

The Kesler trade will bring in at least one top 6 LW

Daniel

Burrows

Higgins

Richardson/Matthias

You know what would be hilarious if Benning trades for 1st overall gets up on the stage you get all excited he steps up to the podium and says with the 1st overall pick the Vancouver Canucks select Samuel Bennett -

giphy.gif

That's what you call strategy

_____ - Horvat - Jensen

As opposed to:

Fox - Cassels - Grenier

Having a one two punch at center is way more important than winger depth IMO.

Not every player in our lineup will be prospects. We will sign free agents as well.

thats just it why trade or sign ufa lw,rw,D if we have one in the minors that will play longer and in a couple years may be better???Hunter should not be traded with a 6th if so better be for s superstar the likes of Bure or better!

thats just it why trade or sign ufa lw,rw,D if we have one in the minors that will play longer and in a couple years may be better???Hunter should not be traded with a 6th if so better be for s superstar the likes of Bure or better!

Honest question; are you under the influence of any kind of drug?

Lol. "Risk everything". Way to be over-dramatic.

We trade for Reinhart and trade Kesler, we could still end up with:

Jensen - Reinhart - Virtanen

Lemieux - Horvat - Kassian

we'd be down one prospect, and likely gain back two or more in a Kesler trade.

So now Jensen and Virtanen are first line players yet you want to pass on keeping Shinkaruk. You are overrating Reinhart so much he is not going to be the next Toews or anything close to that.

Because you can't fill out every position with prospects.

If we can improve our center depth by giving up winger depth, we should. Quality centers are much harder to find, and much more important to a teams success.

So now Jensen and Virtanen are first line players yet you want to pass on keeping Shinkaruk. You are overrating Reinhart so much he is not going to be the next Toews or anything close to that.

Where did I say they were first line players? That's our prospect depth chart, not our lineup.

Jensen has proven more than Shinkaruk at this point. He also did play on the first line last season, and didn't look totally out of place. He'll likely be a good second liner, like Shinkaruk.

Because you can't fill out every position with prospects.

If we can improve our center depth by giving up winger depth, we should. Quality centers are much harder to find, and much more important to a teams success.

Horvat and Reinhart are both projected to be second line centres your opinion is that Reinhart is first line centre. I'd rather keep Shinkaruk and use him as centre

Jensen - Shinkaruk - Virtanen

[unknown] - Horvat - Kassian

no are you???there is no number 1 in this draft thats next year and trading hunter and a 6th you would do if it was for next years draft not this one!

No number 1 what?

No number 1 consensus pick is not the same as no number 1 center.

No one's giving up McDaivd so forget about next years draft.

Where did I say they were first line players? That's our prospect depth chart, not our lineup.

Jensen has proven more than Shinkaruk at this point. He also did play on the first line last season, and didn't look totally out of place. He'll likely be a good second liner, like Shinkaruk.

Look as if you were trying to making line 1 and line 2 of the future.

No number 1 what?

No number 1 consensus pick is not the same as no number 1 center.

No one's giving up McDaivd so forget about next years draft.

If we miss the playoffs we have a shot at Mcdavid. Cleveland won the NBA draft this year with like a 1% chance so anything is possible if we miss the playoffs.

Archived