The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

If some of these people were business owners they'd be bankrupt.

Haha, no doubt. If they were in charge of the Canucks, in a couple years we would have McDavid centering Higgins and Welsh on the top line, on a team that wouldn't beat anyone in the AHL.

I just cannot fathom how people think it is a good idea to move so many young pieces for a "potential"

The sheer lunacy of the conversations on this board are giving me a headache.

The draw of magic beans are simply irresistible, like moths to a flame. When the #1 overall pick is their defacto Stanley Cup, no player, pick, or prospect is untouchable in the pursuit of their idol.

Sharp would fit the bill exceedingly well IMO if a Chicago deal goes down.

I agree with you and was thinking along the same lines. He'd likely agree to Florida and would fit in well with that group. Panthers can afford the caphit and could use a veteran leader in their forward group. If the rumoured prospect packages for Kesler are true, I'd rather use him to move up to first overall. Not a fan of either offer.

Yakupov and Reinhart are completely different players..

I think Reinhart will be a great player that may even be able to step in this season.. He's just too smart and willing to play a two-way game to turn out like Yakupov.

If 2014 is like 2012, then who cares where we pick. Some decent returns at all positions in that first round.

2. Murray 3. Gachehyuk 4. Reinhart 5. Reilly 6. Lindholm 8. POULLIOT 9. Trouba..... then a whole lot more.

wait a minute, this draft is nothing like 2012 - look at all those wicked d-men!.......

And I'd join the Yukipoof bust group; at least according to my Oiler friend fans.

I am not comparing Reinhart to Yakupov I am comparing the draft in terms of the depth of talent where there's Yakupov, in this draft Ekblad, who's top of pack and then Murray who was not NHL ready. You can look back at that draft and see just how valuable the 6th overall pick could turn out to be. Thats why I keep saying would you trade Shinkaruk + Lindholm/Pouilet etc for Murray?

I am not saying these guys are not talented and don't have the potential to be first liners or top 6 forwards. I am saying that from information that I've read from GM's + scouts, more than TSN analysis which Deniro likes to bring up as my only source of information, this draft is deep through 20 its just there is no separation at the top. There is risk involved with any of those picks and I don't see Reinhart being worth that risk when it costs so much.

All talk about value or worth of prospects aside, it really does look as though Jim Benning is dead serious about moving up to get Sam Reinhart.

CDC front page running a top 10 prospect profile that leads up to Sam Reinhart - the last profile - and saying stuff like "A Sam Reinhart/Bo Horvat one-two punch down the middle? That dream could become a reality for the Canucks if they trade up to draft the Lower Mainland product 1st overall Friday."

It just seems like he has a solid offer on the table for Tallon and is just now waiting until Tallon is sure he can't get any more than what Benning has tabled. He's building it up so that if he gets the #1 pick, it's a "dream come true."

The way Linden keeps emphasizing that this draft is going to shape our future hints at that the Canucks are going to go all in for the 1st overall. I think its marketing I would say its the owners saying get that pick we need to sell tickets I don't care who it costs us you are getting that pick.

shink may or may not be a stud but id still like to keep him and find out. id be fine with tanev are 6th and burrows and hanson for the 1st. tallon on record saying he wants burr a chance to draft sam and maybe virtanen or nylander or fluery etc at 10th if we get that pick sounds like a good draft to me. that being said i like the idea of trading with the oil for tanev people who say the oil wouldnt do that imho are wronjg they get a top 2 future d and still get a great player at 6th

The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that Benning has serious doubts about the ability of our scouting staff to pick the right guy at 6th. If that's the case, moving up to get a guy who comes with much less risk is the best move possible, given that the scouting can't be fixed right away.

:picard:

Nobody is talking about it.

I stated it would be cheaper to deal with edm if Shink is the asking price from Florida....

Maybe, maybe not. They'd be trading with a team in their division and they aren't as interested in shopping it as Florida is the 1st. Might take more to convince them on both counts even if the pick itself is worth less.

I'd look to moving down to 3rd if we got the 1st OA though. Edmonton would obviously be picking Ekblad, and it does look like Buffalo would likely take Bennett. If Buffalo does take Reinhart, I'd be perfectly happy taking Draistl with the pick, depending on what Edmonton throws in. The Oilers really, really need to move up IMO.

Can someone link me to the information that says tanev is part of that deal cause the only thing I saw had garrission but you all are throwing tanevs name round like it's a sure deal!

Is it just fan speculation or is there something to go through.

Can someone link me to the information that says tanev is part of that deal cause the only thing I saw had garrission but you all are throwing tanevs name round like it's a sure deal!

Garrison signed a ntc and home town deal cause he wanted to play here and rejected a deal to flordia hes not going back there id be VERY suprised

Tallon said on tv this morning they have 1 concrete offer but its need alittle more or there gonna keep the pick

So there isn't a source saying tanev has actually been added as a piece.

Regarding tallon I have said this before but if his asking price is basically the same van is asking for kesler, no thank you!

Reinhart isn't any more of a guarantee than Shinkaruk though. The problem isn't people overhyping Shinkaruk, the problem is people severely overhyping the first overall when the reality is we don't have a consensus first overall this year.

Wow, is that ever a horrible read on the situation.

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=dale+tallon+%2B+tanev+%2B+ben+kuzma

Basically Kuzma reported it on the radio.

If giving up Tanev, a pick, and a roster player gets the Canucks the 1st overall, it would be worth it.

Especially if the first overall is Ekblad. Having a 6'4" 220 lb. defenseman at 18 years old, who possesses a huge amount of skill, strength, and isn't afraid to throw down, would be a great way to start off the new season.

Personally I'd prefer to deal away Garrison because of his underwhelming play and lack of physicality. Tanev is a much more composed blueliner who would be a great partner for Ekblad. Stanton and Corrado could then step into the 3/4 position once the present top four go the way of the dodo.

Guest Dasein

The way Linden keeps emphasizing that this draft is going to shape our future hints at that the Canucks are going to go all in for the 1st overall. I think its marketing I would say its the owners saying get that pick we need to sell tickets I don't care who it costs us you are getting that pick.

Linden was given all the power in hockey-related operations by the owners when he was hired.

If Linden and Benning go all in for the 1st overall, I believe it's a hockey move, and that they really believe in that #1 pick.

Archived