The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Funny how people who want Reinhart are over-hyping him, yet people who think Shiakaruk is untouchable are hyping him even more.

It's amazing how people can not follow our prospects all season long, but then everyone is suddenly an expert when it comes to their value.

It's not about over-hyping Shinkaruk. It's about getting people to stop treating him like a bust that we must get rid of, which is really just garbage excuses people tell themselves to justify getting Reinhart.

Funny how people who want Reinhart are over-hyping him, yet people who think Shiakaruk is untouchable are hyping him even more.

It's amazing how people can not follow our prospects all season long, but then everyone is suddenly an expert when it comes to their value.

Shinkaruk should be considered untouchable. If we move him we have literally no LW prospect depth.

CDC logic.

We need a 3rd line center. Trade Gaunce a future third line center.

We need a 2nd line play maker and center. Trade Horvat a fugue second line center.

We need a top 6 sniper. Trade Shinkaruk a future top six sniper

We need a future 1st line center. Lets trade our best pick in a decade and the possible 1st line center in Nylander or Draisatl and our best scoring prospect for a guy with the same potential ceiling.

We need depth......ooh ya wait we traded it all.

Shinkaruk represents a player we don't have in our organization if we trade him and as such should be untouchable.

Tired of endless trading backwards thinking we are getting ahead.

The frigging draft cannot come soon enough

Guest Dasein

Oh, that same CDC logic where people are acting like he is already a bust and ready to throw him away for Reinhart, the apparent "best player ever"?

Reinhart doesn't have an NHL goal either, and he has nothing but potential right now. I don't give a sh** what he's done in junior. Stop treating him like a sure-fire star and our own prospects like trade fodder because it is beyond you that they could actually develop and become great players, too.

Do you realize how wrong that is?

If you want to trade up for the 1st overall pick, don't you have to give up good prospects to convince the other team?

If people who want to trade up to the 1st overall are including Shinkaruk in a deal, they're saying Shinkaruk is a good prospect that would be enticing enough to convince the opposing team to trade the 1st overall pick.

If he was a bust, why would anyone put him in a package for the 1st overall pick... Doesn't make any sense.

You give up value, to get value. That's what's going on, so please understand that first before posting.

Dale Tallon tells TSN, "Someone will have to really knock our socks off for this deal to go through." regarding the 1st overall pick for this upcoming draft.

He was also asked by James Duthie, what sort of return would you be expecting. He outlined; 1) A good, young player that can play now, and play for a long time. 2) A pick. 3) Another young player to go along with it. Tallon said it's hard to put a value on the pick.
Tallon also mentioned there has been 1 cemented offer, to go along with 2 serious offers. He is expecting more phone calls, concerning potential deals, the closer to the draft we get.

Umm Seems like 1) Tavev, 2) 6th, 3) Shinkaruk fits the bill.

Maybe the cemented offer?

with all sure respect De Niro, I've followed our prospects this year and Shinkaruk didn't really have a year to speak of.

But he did basically go a ppg before his surgery, put up a solid young stars tourney and training camp/pre season all while almost making a junior team Canada squad

On one leg and a bad hip.

We have better options to trade for that pick if indeed we do trade for it.

Shinkaruk should be considered untouchable. If we move him we have literally no LW prospect depth.

No prospect should be considered untouchable when it comes to upgrading the future of this team. Reinhart most certainly does that.

Gaunce plays left wing and fits what this team is trying to build more than Shinkaruk.

It's not like there's not opportunity to fill that void in the future. The rebuild is going to take a few seasons. Right now we're closer to number 1 then we're likely going to be again. I say go big or go home. Too many years of this team trying to build through drafting average players.

It's not about over-hyping Shinkaruk. It's about getting people to stop treating him like a bust that we must get rid of, which is really just garbage excuses people tell themselves to justify getting Reinhart.

No ones saying he's a bust. But anyone saying he's close to Reinhart in terms of potential clearly don't follow hockey closely enough.

I think it comes from people thinking we got the steal of the draft last year. I alsoo seem to remember people thinking that Schroeder was a huge steal in his draft too though.

Trading away our future (our pick, a prospect and our best young D (who could probably surpass our other D in a few years) just to move up 5 spots in a draft that isn't deep is stupid! I get that we are rebuilding but giving away so much isn't going to do us any good!

If you mean me, you are mistaken. I'd like Reinhart, but not at the expense of Shinkaruk+. The team has a dearth of quality prospects as it is, and bundling them up for a "possible" 1C is simply not smart team-building. Again, this idolatry of the #1 pick needs to end, it is like a religion. People are losing the big-picture perspective.

I am not over hyping Shinkaruk you are completely overrating Reinhart who is 2 months younger than Mackinnon and 8 months older than Bennett. If Reinhart was in last years draft class he would be right in the pack of centres Shinkaruk, Domi, Monahan and Horvat. He would have been selected at best 5th overall and easily could have fallen back much further. You like to point out how picking 6th overall is so risky compared to picking Reinhart who would have been in that range of picks last year. Just picking him at 1st overall in a weak draft isn't going to make him have better odds of being an 80 point player. And you want to trade Shinkaruk who was in mock drafts to be selected top 8-15 right around where Reinhart would have been rated.

Don't tell me that Reinhart would never be rated so high either he had a pathetic playoffs which causes players to fall way down the draft.

Lol, people need to stop parroting the term "weak draft" as if that means there are no good players in the top 5.

They call it a weak draft because it's shallow, not because there's no elite players in the top 10. Please learn the difference.

Reinhart is on a whole other level than Horvat, Domi, and Shinakruk. Give me a break. He put up great points on a crap team and pretty much carried them.

It just boggles my mind the lack of knowledge of what an impact player this guy is. Instead of watching youtube clips and reading TSN, people should actually watch him play and read what coaches and teammates have to say about him.

@ DeNiro Bob Mckinze called Reinhart a solid 2nd line center in the NHL he said he wont quite good enough to be 1st line

He also called Kesler a third line center.

TSN doesn't know everything believe it or not.

The only thing separating Reinhart from a first line center is his skating ability. Which it has been shown time and time again that players can improve after they're drafted.

Lol, people need to stop parroting the term "weak draft" as if that means there are no good players in the top 5.

They call it a weak draft because it's shallow, not because there's no elite players in the top 10. Please learn the difference.

Reinhart is on a whole other level than Horvat, Domi, and Shinakruk. Give me a break. He put up great points on a crap team and pretty much carried them.

It just boggles my mind the lack of knowledge of what an impact player this guy is. Instead of watching youtube clips and reading TSN, people should actually watch him play and read what coaches and teammates have to say about him.

"I was a little upset after first hearing the news, but there really isn't one guy … I think everybody has a different list and there's not one guy that's probably outstanding on everyone's list," Devine said. "It's not aSidney Crosby, John Tavares or Steven Stamkos type of year, so while I'm a little disappointed we didn't get the top pick I believe we're still going to get a good player."

"There are some good players at the top, but there's no Crosby or Tavares," Devine said. "Maybe the draft tapers off a little bit after the top six or seven. The guys in the five to 20 range are probably as strong as we've seen in that range in the past, but there's no one player this year that really jumps out as the No. 1 guy."

You are completely wrong and refusing to acknowledge that Reinhart is almost a year older than some of these prospects and if you compare him with LAST years stats where he played with people born in 1995 he was not this super star franchise player with amazing stats.

"I was a little upset after first hearing the news, but there really isn't one guy … I think everybody has a different list and there's not one guy that's probably outstanding on everyone's list," Devine said. "It's not aSidney Crosby, John Tavares or Steven Stamkos type of year, so while I'm a little disappointed we didn't get the top pick I believe we're still going to get a good player."

"There are some good players at the top, but there's no Crosby or Tavares," Devine said. "Maybe the draft tapers off a little bit after the top six or seven. The guys in the five to 20 range are probably as strong as we've seen in that range in the past, but there's no one player this year that really jumps out as the No. 1 guy."

You are completely wrong and refusing to acknowledge that Reinhart is almost a year older than some of these prospects and if you compare him with LAST years stats where he played with people born in 1995 he was not this super star franchise player with amazing stats.

That article pretty much sums up what I just said. A solid top 5 that trails off later in the draft. That's what they mean when they say a weak draft. Just because there's no Crosby in this draft doesn't mean you can't get a great player.

You realize Crosby and Stamkos are exceptional talents that come around very rarely. right? Saying that there are none of these players means nothing, because there is rarely these types of players available. They're generational talents.

Doesn't mean we couldn't use a player on the level of Taylor Hall though.

Reinhart also plays on a team with no other top end players. He puts up those points with little help. There's the difference. ;)

I'm gonna laugh so hard when Reinhart rips it up in his rookie year and everyone starts whining that we should have traded for him.

Do you realize how wrong that is?

If you want to trade up for the 1st overall pick, don't you have to give up good prospects to convince the other team?

If people who want to trade up to the 1st overall are including Shinkaruk in a deal, they're saying Shinkaruk is a good prospect that would be enticing enough to convince the opposing team to trade the 1st overall pick.

If he was a bust, why would anyone put him in a package for the 1st overall pick... Doesn't make any sense.

You give up value, to get value. That's what's going on, so please understand that first before posting.

It's you who isn't understanding anything. I constantly see garbage posts from you advocating trading potential for potential, failing to realize what a lateral move that is. Then there are already excuses why people here on CDC think Shinkaruk won't amount to much or that he has "attitude problems" based on nothing really credible.

Yes, Shinkaruk is valuable. So why should we give that up plus more for a younger kid who also only has potential? Oh, right. It's because Reinhart is the shiny new toy. Then next year he and our first and whatever else will be thrown in trade proposals for McDavid. When will it end?

If the roster player is Hansen, then Benning does that trade.

I know everyone is excited about Shinkaruk's skill level, but when you compare it to Reinhart's it's not even close.

The 6th overall pick is also very uncertain to be a slam dunk as well. I think the odds of drafting a third liner or a bust are much higher than drafting at star in this draft. And if this is the closest we're going to get to drafting a franchise player, we better make sure we get one.

Would still suck to lose someone who can do this:

Reinhart better be worth all the effort, esp. if Draisaitl/ Dal Colle/ Ehlers/ Nylander aren't all that different in terms of skill upside. I wouldn't mind taking Leon or Michael at the 6 if they fall that far.

Guest Dasein

It's you who isn't understanding anything. I constantly see garbage posts from you advocating trading potential for potential, failing to realize what a lateral move that is. Then there are already excuses why people here on CDC think Shinkaruk won't amount to much or that he has "attitude problems" based on nothing really credible.

Yes, Shinkaruk is valuable. So why should we give that up plus more for a younger kid who also only has potential? Oh, right. It's because Reinhart is the shiny new toy. Then next year he and our first and whatever else will be thrown in trade proposals for McDavid. When will it end?

McDavid has too much hype and whoever gets the #1 pick won't trade down. He can't be had. And obviously you don't understand that there are different levels of potential but it's alright. I'm used to seeing ignorance around here.

Because Reinhart has a way higher ceiling?

If Shinkaruk is this elite level talent, why was he passed by 24 other teams? Yet Reinhart is expected to go one or two. I don't know about you, but I think NHL scouts know a little something the average Canuck fan doesn't.

Reinhart is the impact center this team will desperately need with the departure of Kesler, and the retirement of Henrik in the next 4 years. If we don't get a high caliber first line center while we have a chance, this is going to be a long rebuild, I guarantee.

Archived