The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Horvat and Reinhart are both projected to be second line centres your opinion is that Reinhart is first line centre. I'd rather keep Shinkaruk and use him as centre

Jensen - Shinkaruk - Virtanen

[unknown] - Horvat - Kassian

Who says Reinhart will be a second line center? You?

Kesler was projected to be a 3rd line center, so that means Reinhart could easily become a first line center. Those kind of projections are dumb anyways.

Like I said, with a Kesler trade we could still potentially get Virtanen, plus another 24th overall pick to replace Shinkaruk. It makes us much deeper overall than forcing a winger to play center.

If we miss the playoffs we have a shot at Mcdavid. Cleveland won the NBA draft this year with like a 1% chance so anything is possible if we miss the playoffs.

So we should bank on a 1% chance that we get McDavid next year?

No thanks. I'd rather take our number 1 center while we can get him.

thats right nobody would and that means take what you can get, I'd rather have an extra 1st round pick then give up to much to move up cause not all players turn out and make the nhl.Call me cautious butfinally we might have a chance to have the future 1st and 2nd lines plus filled rather then sign players which hasnt worked for us yet!I have been watching the canucks close for loner then most on here and I love Linden being hired but Benning knows trading to get more ie Kesler and not trading to move up with close to the same type of players is useless, you can mold players and to me it would be worth it to mold a 6th to be as good or better then the top center avaliable.

Kesler was projected to be a 3rd line center, so that means Reinhart could easily become a first line center. Those kind of projections are dumb anyways.

Like I said, with a Kesler trade we could still potentially get Virtanen, plus another 24th overall pick to replace Shinkaruk. It makes us much deeper overall than forcing a winger to play center.

Kesler what thought to be a 3rd line center 2nd at best and thats what he is so????

I said he is projected to be a second line centre. I am well aware that those projections can be wrong in both directions good or bad.

Lets say we get TT from Chicago in Kesler trade we wouldn't have any need to trade up for Reinhart we would then have 3 solid first round pick centres in Shinkaruk, TT and Horvat and Shinkaruk can play the wing too he is more versatile. Then we can draft a solid player at 6th overall and possibly 28th overall; I don't hold that pick in high regard.

So we should bank on a 1% chance that we get McDavid next year?

No thanks. I'd rather take our number 1 center while we can get him.

Its your opinion that he is not only a guaranteed nhl top 6 forward but a number 1 centre in the NHL. I hold the opinions of scouts higher than your opinion and personally feel there are better odds in numbers.

as many centers are there in this draft then at 6th we'd get someone with simular numbers and skils to be a 2nd or 1st line center!I just dont get why many since Benning said he liked Reinhart want him when he has the stats simular to those who are top 7 in the draft.He might be a bit smarter of a player but again being so young maybe others get better, its a big gamble moving up when the 6th pick could turn out being better.I jut dont want to hurt the team but trading for the 1st and thats my opinion, doing it is a few people on here as I said vause benning said he wanted him,so be it! we will see what happens!!

as many centers are there in this draft then at 6th we'd get someone with simular numbers and skils to be a 2nd or 1st line center!I just dont get why many since Benning said he liked Reinhart want him when he has the stats simular to those who are top 7 in the draft.He might be a bit smarter of a player but again being so young maybe others get better, its a big gamble moving up when the 6th pick could turn out being better.I jut dont want to hurt the team but trading for the 1st and thats my opinion, doing it is a few people on here as I said vause benning said he wanted him,so be it! we will see what happens!!

Buffalo said the same damn thing about Bennett and apparently thats a strategy to make people think they want Bennett instead of Reinhart. Based off of how Deniro thinks this is a strategy by JB because he secretly wants Bennett.

I said he is projected to be a second line centre. I am well aware that those projections can be wrong in both directions good or bad.

Lets say we get TT from Chicago in Kesler trade we wouldn't have any need to trade up for Reinhart we would then have 3 solid first round pick centres in Shinkaruk, TT and Horvat and Shinkaruk can play the wing too he is more versatile. Then we can draft a solid player at 6th overall and possibly 28th overall; I don't hold that pick in high regard.

Its your opinion that he is not only a guaranteed nhl top 6 forward but a number 1 centre in the NHL. I hold the opinions of scouts higher than your opinion and personally feel there are better odds in numbers.

Asking a young player like Shinkaruk to play center when he's a natural winger is a bad idea.

If Chicago is willing to give up Terravainen then that solves our center problem, but I doubt they would.

Again, if you wanna talk about odds, look at the last 10 drafts and the forwards that were taken in the first two picks. You keep ignoring this fact as if you think it's common for busts to be selected in the top 2. It isn't.

Asking a young player like Shinkaruk to play center when he's a natural winger is a bad idea.

If Chicago is willing to give up Terravainen then that solves our center problem, but I doubt they would.

Again, if you wanna talk about odds, look at the last 10 drafts and the forwards that were taken in the first two picks. You keep ignoring this fact as if you think it's common for busts to be selected in the top 2. It isn't.

I have pointed out to you that I think this draft is very similar to 2012 and I would call Yakupov a bust thus far.

Buffalo said the same damn thing about Bennett and apparently thats a strategy to make people think they want Bennett instead of Reinhart. Based off of how Deniro thinks this is a strategy by JB because he secretly wants Bennett.

When GMs come out and say things to the media, it's for a reason.

It's very rare for a GM to lay out exactly what they're going to do in a draft or on free agency.

I have pointed out to you that I think this draft is very similar to 2012 and I would call Yakupov a bust thus far.

Yakupov is far from a bust. He needs a change of scenery, that's all.

So you've picked 1 out of 10. The odds are still very high to get an impact player.

When GMs come out and say things to the media, it's for a reason.

It's very rare for a GM to lay out exactly what they're going to do in a draft or on free agency.

Yea and I'm saying maybe JB is blowing smoke around bennett because that's the guy he wants to take first overall and he doesn't want buffalo to move up if they know he intends to take bennett.

Like i said if JB trades up and drafts bennett you will be getting a message lol

Yakupov is far from a bust. He needs a change of scenery, that's all.

So you've picked 1 out of 10. The odds are still very high to get an impact player.

2003 - 2013

2013: Mackinnon

2012: Yakupov

2011: RNH

2010: Hall

2009: Tavares

2008: Stamkos

2007: Kane

2006: Erik Johnson - deep draft

2005: Crosby

2004: Ovi

2003: Marc Andre Fleury - hahaha

If you look at all the drafts 2012 appears to be the most relatable. Time will tell but if it is just like 2012 then it doesn't matter where we pick which is pretty much what all the GM's and scouts have been saying. Its the same as 2012 when everyone was like Yakupov is the only NHL ready player similar to how they say Ekblad is the best player in this years draft.

Sure there are some players that stand a little higher than the others but there is not much separation between them. There is more risk with them all than there have been in previous years because there isn't that separation of players at the top that are so much better than the rest. You refuse to acknowledge this no matter how times you are shown scouts, gm's whomever saying this.

Edit: spelling

because:

1. you can tell how good he is from watching him play?

2. I trust our new gm who was a pretty good scout.. Apparently he sees something in Reinhart that makes him want to move up.

We dont know how well he can perform under willie D, but hell this could be say to every single player and prospects.

Do i want to trade up for Reinhart at the cost of Hunter? Personally i am fine with both but i can see the upside of trading up for Reinhart. From the look of it he will MOST LIKELY turn into a franchise player.

I don't think we even know that Shink is on offer and that may support your theory AND mine. Benning knows what he is doing, unlike half of CDC I would suggest. Come the draft, you are free to remind me I was wrong :)

By the way from reading scouting reports I'm still not convinced there is a Tanev OR a Shink difference between Reinhart and Virtanen (assuming he is, as it appears, the 6th)

At this point I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be another Luongo type scenario. I trust Benning and Linden to not let this turn into a gong show but if they play hard to get for too long then eventually the teams interested will look elsewhere. Here's hoping the draft will be the day all of this is settled.

I don't care who is selected I'd rather have 2 first round picks than trading away 2 for 1 first round pick.

Reinhart is not thought to be a franchise player so why would you give up 2 first round picks who could possible be top 6 forwards themselves? We don't have the prospects to throw away to risk everything on Reinhart.

Because the best player in the draft is Ekblad and he is the target if you are going for #1.

This team has a plethora of center ice men and no franchise puck movers to build a team around going forward.

Yakupov and Reinhart are completely different players..

I think Reinhart will be a great player that may even be able to step in this season.. He's just too smart and willing to play a two-way game to turn out like Yakupov.

Archived