The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

If Florida really is looking for Shinkaruk, Tanev and the 6th for 1st overall, I would pass. Moving up to 3rd would seem to be a more affordable option. We know that Edmonton is desperate for defense, (Nikitin deal) and you could probaly move up for Tanev and the 6th or something similar (conditional on Florida or Buffalo taking Ekblad).

The rumor is Buffalo is taking a hard look at Draisaitl at number 2, which gives the Nucks a chance at Reinhart without giving up Shinkaruk, who IMO looks like a player. Even if Buffalo takes Reinhart, Bennett or Draisaitl aren't bad options and would give the Canucks something they sorely need, a top center prospect who could one day take over for Henrik.

I believe at that price the 3rd overall can be had from Edm for a lot less

no?

I stated the reason before:

1) That would make it an inner division trade and the Edmonton will want a lot more from us than another team to ensure we don't become a problem later.

2) you may not be able to land Reinhart with a 3d

3) Edmonton probably has no reason to trade down from 3rd. They need a defenseman and if anything goes, they will try to get Ekblad with their 3rd judging by how often top defense prospect drop in draft.

In a perfect world if the Edmonton HAS to trade with the canucks the draft pick will be a lot cheaper.. but in the real world no one is pointing a gun on their head to force them to do that.

no?

I stated the reason before:

1) That would make it an inner division trade and the Edmonton will want a lot more from us than another team to ensure we don't become a problem later.

2) you may not be able to land Reinhart with a 3d

3) Edmonton probably has no reason to trade down from 3rd. They need a defenseman and if anything goes, they will try to get Ekblad with their 3rd judging by how often top defense prospect drop in draft.

In a perfect world if the Edmonton HAS to trade with the canucks the draft pick will be a lot cheaper.. but in the real world no one is pointing a gun on their head to force them to do that.

1-We'd both be trading within the division. We'd have to play against Tanev + our 6th. Kind of cancels each other out...

2-Then we take Draisaitl or Bennett.

3-If Florida retains 1st, they're all but guaranteed to take Ekblad IMO. If Edmonton has our 6th they could end up with Tanev AND Fleury.

1-We'd both be trading within the division. We'd have to play against Tanev + our 6th. Kind of cancels each other out...

2-Then we take Draisaitl or Bennett.

3-If Florida retains 1st, they're all but guaranteed to take Ekblad IMO. If Edmonton has our 6th they could end up with Tanev AND Fleury.

1. you really think Tanev and a 6th would cancel out the threat of playing against Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennet? Seriously you know what i hate? people who want to take advantage of someone, but actually managed to convince themselves they are being fair. FFS we are talking about a defenseman who has 8 goals in 156 games.

2. see #1.

3. Guarantee? did that come from those professionals in TSN? Look at how many teams actually choose a defenseman with a 1 first overall pick, and look at how many of them actually pan out to be the best player in the draft... The odds aren't that great.

stop thinking about the third overall pick, the odds that could happen is less than us getting a first overall.... Jesus how easy are fans in vancouver to be manipulate by the media? Suddenly everyone is talking about getting the third overall out of no where.

1. you really think Tanev and a 6th would cancel out the threat of playing against Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennet? Seriously you know what i hate? people who want to take advantage of someone, but actually managed to convince themselves they are being fair. FFS we are talking about a defenseman who has 8 goals in 156 games.

2. see #1.

3. Guarantee? did that come from those professionals in TSN? Look at how many teams actually choose a defenseman with a 1 first overall pick, and look at how many of them actually pan out to be the best player in the draft... The odds aren't that great.

stop thinking about the third overall pick, the odds that could happen is less than us getting a first overall.... Jesus how easy are fans in vancouver to be manipulate by the media? Suddenly everyone is talking about getting the third overall out of no where.

:picard:

Nobody is talking about it.

I stated it would be cheaper to deal with edm if Shink is the asking price from Florida....

I'm loling at the people who say Reinhart will bust but don't realize there's a much much greater chance Shinkaruk busts.

I like our chances as a team with

Shinkaruk, Tanev and one of Nylander/Ehlers/Draisatl/Dal Colle/Ritchie/Virtanen as opposed to simply Reinhart

Seems to be lost on quite a few around here. I don't know if Tanev (or Hansen) + the 6th is "enough" though, there's the hitch. So either we add more (what though?) or it has to be more of an impact guy (Burrows/Higgins?).

I wonder if Tallon would do Tanev + Hansen and our 6th (with the 1st + coming back as now we're overpaying)? Otherwise I suppose we have to see what's possibly coming back from the Kesler deal and maybe it's that "roster player" plus our 6th (Sharp?)?

Regardless I don't see Shinkaruk as part of the deal regardless of how anybody values him or Reinhart. He's not what Tallon wants.

THANK-YOU for others saying this. DeNiro and the others who are all over sending Shinkaruk and other prospects and picks to get the #1 just don't get it -- that is NOT what Florida wants! It's rather embarrassing watching people take FAKE RUMOURS planted by bored writers and run with them. It's beyond me why this has to be explained when it's so obvious, and even further when they don't seem to understand and persist. Please Friday, hurry up and get us out of this face-palming misery, lol.

I actually think Florida would love to have Hunter on their team. What they need now is marketing and exciting hockey and Hunter fits their needs.

They'd love to have Reinhart and Ekblad too, but that is NOT what they need. Again, they have very clearly stated why the pick is up for trade -- to get PROVEN NHL players.

I'm loling at the people who say Reinhart will bust but don't realize there's a much much greater chance Shinkaruk busts.

Before you project a strawman upon people, at least try to understand their position. That is, unless you enjoy so openly embarrassing yourself.

A philosophy professor would have a field day here -- could bring his class in on a field trip and have them identify and count all the logical fallacies. "Use both sides of paper if necessary."

"stop thinking about the third overall pick, the odds that could happen is less than us getting a first overall.... Jesus how easy are fans in vancouver to be manipulate by the media? Suddenly everyone is talking about getting the third overall out of no where."

:picard:

Nobody is talking about it.

LOL, how's your head feeling? It's really quite the spectacle going on here.

Guest Dasein

All talk about value or worth of prospects aside, it really does look as though Jim Benning is dead serious about moving up to get Sam Reinhart.

CDC front page running a top 10 prospect profile that leads up to Sam Reinhart - the last profile - and saying stuff like "A Sam Reinhart/Bo Horvat one-two punch down the middle? That dream could become a reality for the Canucks if they trade up to draft the Lower Mainland product 1st overall Friday."

It just seems like he has a solid offer on the table for Tallon and is just now waiting until Tallon is sure he can't get any more than what Benning has tabled. He's building it up so that if he gets the #1 pick, it's a "dream come true."

THANK-YOU for others saying this. DeNiro and the others who are all over sending Shinkaruk and other prospects and picks to get the #1 just don't get it -- that is NOT what Florida wants! It's rather embarrassing watching people take FAKE RUMOURS planted by bored writers and run with them. It's beyond me why this has to be explained when it's so obvious, and even further when they don't seem to understand and persist. Please Friday, hurry up and get us out of this face-palming misery, lol.

They'd love to have Reinhart and Ekblad too, but that is NOT what they need. Again, they have very clearly stated why the pick is up for trade -- to get PROVEN NHL players.

Before you project a strawman upon people, at least try to understand their position. That is, unless you enjoy so openly embarrassing yourself.

A philosophy professor would have a field day here -- could bring his class in on a field trip and have them identify and count all the logical fallacies. "Use both sides of paper if necessary."

lol now you are trying to convince yourself that it's not what Florida wants?

on one hand you think we are overpaying for the first overall pick, but on the other hand you think Florida doesn't like overpayment?

the reports says it was hunter 6th AND an unname roster player.. I am pretty sure that player is NHL ready.

you guys are being hilarious now..This really feels like fantasy hockey now..

"stop thinking about the third overall pick, the odds that could happen is less than us getting a first overall.... Jesus how easy are fans in vancouver to be manipulate by the media? Suddenly everyone is talking about getting the third overall out of no where."

LOL, how's your head feeling? It's really quite the spectacle going on here.

Honestly?

I am thinking of blocking this site from my computer so i don't have to look at some of the statements from people.

If some of these people were business owners they'd be bankrupt.

Might be best to not look at this page until the draft.

Myself included...

I just cannot fathom how people think it is a good idea to move so many young pieces for a "potential"

We do this once or twice a decade and where are we for cup wins?

We don't have the depth of prospects to start doing this and the truth of the matter is if Dale Tallon truly wants Ehlers as his prize pick and is willing to move down to do it; AND is on record stating he doesn't want yet more prospects...why on earth does he want to even entertain picking up yet another LW prospect (or project as some are now labeling him) in Shinkaruk?

The sheer lunacy of the conversations on this board are giving me a headache.

That's what's good about passionate hockey forums, you have your say and I will have mine and bring in your professor if you want. 10 different philosophy professors would have 10 different philosophy's.

I just cannot fathom how people think it is a good idea to move so many young pieces for a "potential"

We do this once or twice a decade and where are we for cup wins?

We don't have the depth of prospects to start doing this and the truth of the matter is if Dale Tallon truly wants Ehlers as his prize pick and is willing to move down to do it; AND is on record stating he doesn't want yet more prospects...why on earth does he want to even entertain picking up yet another LW prospect (or project as some are now labeling him) in Shinkaruk?

The sheer lunacy of the conversations on this board are giving me a headache.

Save your meltdown for Friday.

It was a rumour so we're discussing it. Do we think the rumour is true? Probably not. But this is what a message board is for. People here are expressing their opinions

lol now you are trying to convince yourself that it's not what Florida wants?

on one hand you think we are overpaying for the first overall pick, but on the other hand you think Florida doesn't like overpayment?

the reports says it was hunter 6th AND an unname roster player.. I am pretty sure that player is NHL ready.

you guys are being hilarious now..This really feels like fantasy hockey now..

Are you even listening? Have you listened at all to what Tallon and the Panthers have said they want? Apparently not, so how about we put Rogers Arena into the mix -- think that'll get us Reinhart?

It was a rumour so we're discussing it. Do we think the rumour is true? Probably not. But this is what a message board is for. People here are expressing their opinions

How can it be true when it is baseless and nonsensical? It is NOT what Florida has publicly announced it is wanting. So what then -- Florida says they will shop the pick for proven players, then turn around and take picks and prospects instead? If so, either they were outright lying, or whoever offers up those picks and prospects massively overpaid to where Tallon couldn't say no. So you don't believe what the teams says publicly, but you believe some writer who pulls things out of thin air? Hey, I heard a rumour -- Benning is offering Horvat, Kassian, and #6 overall for Sharp and Handzus... whaddya think?

This isn't rocket science. If you say you don't want a Honda but want to buy a Ford, should your friends believe it when some hack says you're dealing on a Honda, with no evidence whatsoever?

Archived