The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

I love this pick. How anyone thought we wouldn't pick him after everything JB and TL have said about getting bigger is beyond me. I'm laughing at all you guys bitching and whining.

Nylander sounds like a selfish player (non passer do everything himself), we just got rid of one, why would we want another.

So why didn't we pick the person ranked at 6th? ATLEAST RITCHIE. I don't like him, but ATLEAST RITCHIE. Not this injured crap that's a so called hockey player.

"Piece of CRAP" ?

Wow.

You have been here a month on CDC.

My guess is you don't make it here before Jake's shoulder heals.

I don't know $hit about this kid outside what I've read but you don't score as much as he did and get ranked as high as he was in skating without having skill or being a slow pylon like Pyatt or Bernier.

Except pyatt scored 37g 38a and bernier 49g 52a in their draft years.....

Oh the kid has skill... but skill to make plays? how many assist can we expect him to put up in the NHL?

Can't wait for the prospects camp to see what our prospects can do. Any idea if Jake is on track to be ready for it?

Not a chance bra. It's scheduled to be healed by November. He will miss World Junior training camp/selection :(

I'm just happy the Canucks didn't pick Nylander. He and Kessel will be perfect together in Toronto—two players who aren't aware there's a thing called the d-zone.

Nylander Kadri Kessel

Hilarious.

i love how everyone is mad about this pick, you all must have no knowledge of hockey. I'm sure 95% of you haven't seen a hitman game. i live in calgary and have watched this kid a lot of times. he's a VERY good player. great shot, incredibly fast, and a huge hitter. rather that then a small 160 pound ehlers.

One more time for the "hockey challenged"

Jake Virtanen's Player Profile
  • Speed – Big man speed with acceleration, agility, balance. Won the 30 metre sprint, backward and forward, at the CHL Top Prospects game.
  • Shot – Big gun, quick finger, hits target, penetrates net.

• Power forward – Jake Virtanen has the size, skating, drive and physicality teams look for in a power forward – Jake is probably the purest power forward in the draft.

• Improvements to make – Judging by his performance in January (13 goals and 20 points in 14 games), Jake has already come a long way. However, he should continue to work on using his teammates better, push for excellence in his defensive work and exert his physicality on a constant basis to win puck battles.

• Draft placement – Most have Jake at or around the top 10 now but if he continues to produce at or improve upon his January pace he could go significantly higher because his size and physical skills are as elite as just about anyone in the draft.

• Profile from: Eldon MacDonald and Chris Ralph of The Hockey Writers - updated Feb. 26th

@IssHockey - "Uses his size exceptionally well. Combines skill-set on puck w/ fiery intensity" -Nov. 27th, 2013

Ritchie carried his 6th seeded team to the OHL playoffs, who later on eliminated top seeded Kingston Frontenacs. Virtanen played on a WHL top team, and was far from being their best player. He was also a non-factor in the playoffs for them. People will scream "INJURY MADE HIM WORSE!" but i'm not buying into that. Virtanens hockey IQ isn't as high as those guys. Right now, he doesn't use his teammates good enough, which is definitely a concern.

Which NHL team do you scout for?

Oh wait...

I had my reservations about picking Virtanen this high, but now that he's a Canuck, you won't hear anything bad about this kid from me. Excited to see if Jake can achieve his potential--if he does, he'll be a special player and we'll look back on this as a big draft day steal. He has a chance to be a true impact player and a star in this league. From here on out, I'll be cheering hard for him to make it.

+1. My sentiments exactly. I was hoping we'd move up, but I'll show full support for Virtanen now that we've drafted him. Although I will reserve judgment for Benning and company, at least they're staying true to their word in trying to achieve a hybrid Boston type model. Now, whether this effort pans out when it comes to results remains to be seen. Nevertheless, I appreciate their transparency. It goes without saying that transparency was not a quality one could attribute to Mike Gillis.

Put's fans in seats? Get's the media hyped? Does the CDC seem "hyped" about Virtanen to you?

It is split 50/50, and in case you want to refute that, discontent is louder . And did you know probably 95% of Canucks revenue is generated by people who don't roam the CDC board like you and I? Just because you reside on this board you seem to foolishly think CDC members represent the majority of Canucks fans. On the contrary, it is a very minimal percentage of die-hard fans who are on this board.

The majority of ticket / merchandise buyers are casual fans who won't even know who Aaron Ekblad or Jake Virtanen is. They don't care who they are until they reach stardom. The one point that will sell to them is the fact that the Canucks drafted a home town boy from Abbotsford.

The fact that no one, not even the Oilers got a 1st or 2nd off them just shows how they were just waving them in the air and hoping for some idiot to offer a stupidly over payment for them.

I'm glad because we don't just have Jake who I think will be big for us but better still we have kept Shink. That is a big score in my book and some day we will be thankful.

as long as Shink still wants to be here after having his name thrown around as trade bait for the last 3 days.

Donald Brashear. You must have been hit in the head by McSorley too cause your comments are completely laughable. Where in the blue hell do you come up with your posts?

Garrison was a horrible signing right from the beginning. Way overpaid for one good year in Florida and then he can't skate or hit the broad side of a barn. Granted I don't think we got much in a trade for him but we didn't retain any salary and got a massive hit off the payroll for a guy with a no trade clause.

Do you really believe everything you hear???? Shinkaruk's name has come up in RUMORS. That's what they are is RUMORS. Hell, if Dreger is the one starting the rumor about the Canucks 9.9 times out of 10 you know it's not true. (And I have no idea who started these RUMORS). But yes I would trade Shinkaruk too, if it got us a better player.

No need to be so angry and negative. Be happy the Canucks got a really good prospect. Go Canucks Go!

I'm just happy the Canucks didn't pick Nylander. He and Kessel will be perfect together in Toronto—two players who aren't aware there's a thing called the d-zone.

And when they're at the top of the east in a few years, and Virtanen is a mediocore AHL producer, while we're still struggling to make the playoffs.

i love how everyone is mad about this pick, you all must have no knowledge of hockey. I'm sure 95% of you haven't seen a hitman game. i live in calgary and have watched this kid a lot of times. he's a VERY good player. great shot, incredibly fast, and a huge hitter. rather that then a small 160 pound ehlers.

My prayers are with you

Archived