The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Here's an interesting take on the kid. I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with it but it would explain a lot of the shortcomings he's had as a player. If it is the case I think playing in juniors next year would be the worst thing for him. It will just feed this poor mentality of his and cause even more frustration. I think more than anything the kid needs to be humbled by being mentored and controlled by veteran players who can guide him in that aspect.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=100428137&postcount=209

Judging a player by facial expressions lol now I've seen it all...

Jake had a great game 7 he was fantastic which is reassuring for round 2.

An interesting take for sure. However, I'm not sure how much stock I put into judging a player's personality based on his "facial expressions and body language" seen from a distance.

His posts on instagram shout priveleged brat at times. He definitely thinks highly of himself to say the least.

Edited by Webster6
  • Upvote 1

His posts on instagram shout priveleged brat at times. He definitely thinks highly of himself to say the least.

I would too if i were taking 6th overall in the NHL to my hometown team. Lucky, lucky kid. Man i wish i was him

Lots of youngster are maybe a bit too full of themselves. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing at that age. They will learn as they make their way that they are not the only ones with talent.

Guys like Travis Green and Willie will have seen all kinds and they will know how to channel it in the right way, not to mention some of the older pros.

Funnily enough I also am fast coming to believe Bo Horvat will be a huge influence on any young players coming in. He seems to talk like a leader, is respectful of his peers and seems a pretty grounded character and tough along with it.

• Upvote 1

Alf;

You are right on about Horvat IMO. By all appearances he will be the next leader of the Canucks. I don't necessarily see that in Matthias, Kassian, Hanson or Vey. I do see it in Dorsett but Horvat at 19 stands out big time.

As a long time Canuck fan what is going on in Utica is actually more exciting than in Vancouver. Canucks have to transition away from the Twins over the next couple of years and the youth is there in Utica to do it. Very excited to see what JB can add at the Draft and by moving some vets.

Lots of youngster are maybe a bit too full of themselves. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing at that age. They will learn as they make their way that they are not the only ones with talent.

Guys like Travis Green and Willie will have seen all kinds and they will know how to channel it in the right way, not to mention some of the older pros.

Funnily enough I also am fast coming to believe Bo Horvat will be a huge influence on any young players coming in. He seems to talk like a leader, is respectful of his peers and seems a pretty grounded character and tough along with it.

I completely agree. I was thinking the same thing about Virtanen or any rookie that might make the team next year. Horvat seems like he would be an awesome influence and presence for any young player.

Here's an interesting take on the kid. I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with it but it would explain a lot of the shortcomings he's had as a player. If it is the case I think playing in juniors next year would be the worst thing for him. It will just feed this poor mentality of his and cause even more frustration. I think more than anything the kid needs to be humbled by being mentored and controlled by veteran players who can guide him in that aspect.

Some idiot is using FACIAL EXPRESSIONS as a guide? W T F? Shut up!

Looks like Virtanen's defensive game is finally being recognized out there. Been saying this all along.

Alf;

You are right on about Horvat IMO. By all appearances he will be the next leader of the Canucks. I don't necessarily see that in Matthias, Kassian, Hanson or Vey. I do see it in Dorsett but Horvat at 19 stands out big time.

As a long time Canuck fan what is going on in Utica is actually more exciting than in Vancouver. Canucks have to transition away from the Twins over the next couple of years and the youth is there in Utica to do it. Very excited to see what JB can add at the Draft and by moving some vets.

I dont see leadership being much of a problem going forward. We have a good core of prospects who look like they have leadership abilities. Horvat, Gaunce, Shinkaruk ect look like future leaders on the team eventually.

Alf;

I have no doubt the Bo is being groomed to take over from Hank in 3 or 4 years. By that time he'll have had an appropriate amount of mentoring and will have learned all he needs to learn from them about being a leader and a professional.

Edited by MJDDawg

CDC.

Canucks Drama Centre. This thread explains why I want the Canucks farm team to remain in Utica, and stay the hell away from our fanbase. Micro-analyzing an 18 year old who hasn't played in pro yet. Now people are judging him by his facial expressions and his twitter account?

Yikes.

CDC.

Canucks Drama Centre. This thread explains why I want the Canucks farm team to remain in Utica, and stay the hell away from our fanbase. Micro-analyzing an 18 year old who hasn't played in pro yet. Now people are judging him by his facial expressions and his twitter account?

Yikes.

Apparently that was judged in HF. btw Who is that TOML guy? Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

CDC.

Yikes.

Exactly.

It's the very reason I mentioned this very thing last month below.

For sure. Same goes for any of our high end prospects.

It's a big reason I'd also rather have our AHL team stay in Utica and not come to the Lower Mainland. Allows our young guys to develop their games away from the bright lights and prying eyes of guys like Botch and Gallagher who would analyze the minutiae of their everyday lives. Some kids could handle it, others it might crush.

Keep our prospects as far away from Vancouver as possible.

• Upvote 1

I don't know about the body language/facial expression nonsense but I don't disagree with the premise that Virt feel's "above" most of his peers. Fact is, that he IS above most of his peers. He's faster, bigger and shoots better and physically dominates most of them.

This kid just screams for the ability to make him exempt from his final year of Jr. and let him play in the AHL next season, against men as many people have previously mentioned (I know, it's not possible).

He simply is not challenged in Jr. and it's unfortunate that it's NHL or Jr. for him as I don't think his game is well rounded enough yet for the NHL and Jr. really offers little for him at this point. It may even hinder him if he becomes bored, stagnant, overly cocky etc

That's embarrassing.

Quoting TOML via HF Boards.

Slut.

... what?

We got the guy... for 4 more years...

8473432.jpg

<_<

An interesting take for sure. However, I'm not sure how much stock I put into judging a player's personality based on his "facial expressions and body language" seen from a distance.

Some idiot is using FACIAL EXPRESSIONS as a guide? W T F? Shut up!

Looks like Virtanen's defensive game is finally being recognized out there. Been saying this all along.

Yeah, I wasn't really focusing on that though. More of what it implied which could have some merit. He kind of elaborated on it later on which was his attitude in respect for junior hockey as a whole. If he thinks he's too good for the league and that's reflected in his play I don't know if another year in Calgary is really what's best for him.

And although it might seem stupid, body language is a pretty good indicator of what a player is going through. Especially for a hard nosed kid like Virtanen who seems to thrive on the emotional rollercoaster.

I don't know about the body language/facial expression nonsense but I don't disagree with the premise that Virt feel's "above" most of his peers. Fact is, that he IS above most of his peers. He's faster, bigger and shoots better and physically dominates most of them.

This kid just screams for the ability to make him exempt from his final year of Jr. and let him play in the AHL next season, against men as many people have previously mentioned (I know, it's not possible).

He simply is not challenged in Jr. and it's unfortunate that it's NHL or Jr. for him as I don't think his game is well rounded enough yet for the NHL and Jr. really offers little for him at this point. It may even hinder him if he becomes bored, stagnant, overly cocky etc

^

This is basically what I took away from it as well.