The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Acquire them. IMO we arlready have better options, we have 3 lines of grinders we don't need more.

Scoring is and always was the main problem in the playoffs. There is no need for a fighter anymore in the NHL, team toughness isn't really an issue now, we have better penalty killers. Don't even get me started on his contract. We have Hansen, we don't need Dorsett. Easy cap dump for a team that needs to dump cap and add more skill.

Jackman doesn't play when games get close, I don't think he had a shift after the 2nd period last night. Tampa I consider a contender and Morrow is an obvious weak link. The rest of those players aren't on contenders. Look at all the legit contender over the last few years, you will see they either didn't have this type of player or have since gotten rid of them.

I do agree that the Canucks are in need of more scoring, but saying team toughness is not an issue? Michael Ferland pushed the Canucks around ALL post season, we need toughness. I wouldnt classify Dors as a fighter, hes more of a grinder with an edge, and willing to stick up for his teamates.

And saying Contenders do not have these types of players? pffff do you even watch hockey? Every single Stanley Cup winner had these types of players. You dont win championships with a soft bottom six.

2013/14- LA: Clifford, King, Nolan, Lewis, Richards

2012/13- Chicago: Bickell, Bolland, Bollig, Shaw, Carcillo

2011/12- LA: *Virtually same as '14

2010/11- Boston: Thorton, (Their whole team was pretty tough tbh)

2009/10- Chicago: Bickell, Bolland, Brouwer, Burrish, Byfuglien

I could go on for ever, but i think you get the point. The reason theses teams get rid of these players is too keep the core of the team intact, and avoid Cap trouble.

That shot Virtanen has got is just far too big time. Purely from the size, speed, and shooting ability he has now as an 18 year old. I think he could contribute on the NHL level in a bottom 6 role. Great to know that at worst, we still have an NHL calibre player. He's the closest thing to 'risk free' or 'bust free' as you can get. Here's to hoping he reaches his full potential. The dudes shot went through the net… Big time..

That shot Virtanen has got is just far too big time. Purely from the size, speed, and shooting ability he has now as an 18 year old. I think he could contribute on the NHL level in a bottom 6 role. Great to know that at worst, we still have an NHL calibre player. He's the closest thing to 'risk free' or 'bust free' as you can get. Here's to hoping he reaches his full potential. The dudes shot went through the net… Big time..

Before the draft i said that Virtanen "bust" would be a 3rd line winger. His "boom" is a possible franchise player. Thats why i liked the pick/player before the draft

I do agree that the Canucks are in need of more scoring, but saying team toughness is not an issue? Michael Ferland pushed the Canucks around ALL post season, we need toughness. I wouldnt classify Dors as a fighter, hes more of a grinder with an edge, and willing to stick up for his teamates.

And saying Contenders do not have these types of players? pffff do you even watch hockey? Every single Stanley Cup winner had these types of players. You dont win championships with a soft bottom six.

I could go on for ever, but i think you get the point. The reason theses teams get rid of these players is too keep the core of the team intact, and avoid Cap trouble.

Most of those players are wayyyy better than Dorsett. What did Dorsett do about Ferland? That's his only legitimate role on the team and he did nothing. So we're paying him more than most of those guys above for what exactly? Like I said he's a disaster with the puck and we have better penalty killers.

Most of those players are wayyyy better than Dorsett. What did Dorsett do about Ferland? That's his only legitimate role on the team and he did nothing. So we're paying him more than most of those guys above for what exactly? Like I said he's a disaster with the puck and we have better penalty killers.

LOL those guys play 5 mins a game and have NO offensive game. Dorsett actually puts the puck in the net

• Upvote 1

Incorrect.

Also incorrect. No prospect is ever guaranteed 9 games unless they impress at camp and are really testing the team to keep him up full time. If he's not ready, then they'll send him back after preseason rather than have to waive someone else (and risk losing them) just to give him those 9 games.

I don't think they send him back. It will hurt his development. Look at Reinhart. Certain guys are built for the NHL earlier than others. Virtanen is bigger and meaner than Bo and plays a style of game this team sorely lacks.

I think he gets his 9 games and is given every opportunity to stick. You need these guys to be groomed by the Sedins and Burrows etc.

Agree 100% percent. Horvat and Virtanen will be solid NHL player. Probably not franchise players, but solid nhler players.

I don't think they send him back. It will hurt his development. Look at Reinhart. Certain guys are built for the NHL earlier than others. Virtanen is bigger and meaner than Bo and plays a style of game this team sorely lacks.

I think he gets his 9 games and is given every opportunity to stick. You need these guys to be groomed by the Sedins and Burrows etc.

I look at Reinhart and see a future first line center, regardless of his junior stats this season.

If Virtanen hasn't played well enough to stick, he should be sent down. I don't expect it to hurt his development.

Incorrect.

Also incorrect. No prospect is ever guaranteed 9 games unless they impress at camp and are really testing the team to keep him up full time. If he's not ready, then they'll send him back after preseason rather than have to waive someone else (and risk losing them) just to give him those 9 games.

Not really, theres quite a few ppl on here and on twittee that bash Virtanen or any other pick because they didnt take the guy THEY wanted.

Edited by VANcanucks92

I look at Reinhart and see a future first line center, regardless of his junior stats this season.

If Virtanen hasn't played well enough to stick, he should be sent down. I don't expect it to hurt his development.

I was not talking about stats at all. He played poorly a lot and was invisible in the poat season. He needs elite level coaching to get to the next level.

Dorsett had a bunged shoulder. Hurt it in game 82 vs Edmonton and hence was far less effective in the playoffs. Did you not watch any of those 82 games where he was constantly pushing the pace of the game, playing physically and forcing opposition errors?

The Canucks failed to respond appropriately to Ferland in some of the games which is on the players/coaching, not personnel. The couple games that we actually dominated possession and played more in their zone, he was a complete non factor. If they'd played like that the entire series, Bieksa's comments would have actually been appropriate.

Besides, you don't alter your roster to suit one player or team. Especially one of Ferland's ilk. You alter your roster to get better against all teams.

• Upvote 1