The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Why compare players of the same position, we didn't have our hands tied to draft a winger with the 6th overall? We could have taken anyone. Nonesense denial of my comparison, we've got plenty of wingers, we didn't have centers. Besides, Nylander is versatile enough to play the wing anyway. He brings far more than Virtanen, fills more of our needs and is simply a better and more ready player.

Now we've got Virtanen though, there's no going back, but we have to make him the best possible player we can. We should have sent him to juniors instead of this stupid idea to play the kids more. Shinkaruk and Gaunce could have done what Virtanen's doing in the NHL if not better, but for whatever reason WD wanted to keep him around and now we're absolutely destroying his development. 1 goal in almost half a season, no offensive production, no confidence, just the occasional hitting. That's not what I want out of a top pick. He belongs in the WHL where he could have developed his offensive game a bit more.

Lol, I should have been more specific - my bad. I meant read ALL of the sentences

41 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Why compare players of the same position, we didn't have our hands tied to draft a winger with the 6th overall? We could have taken anyone. Nonesense denial of my comparison, we've got plenty of wingers, we didn't have centers. Besides, Nylander is versatile enough to play the wing anyway. He brings far more than Virtanen, fills more of our needs and is simply a better and more ready player.

Now we've got Virtanen though, there's no going back, but we have to make him the best possible player we can. We should have sent him to juniors instead of this stupid idea to play the kids more. Shinkaruk and Gaunce could have done what Virtanen's doing in the NHL if not better, but for whatever reason WD wanted to keep him around and now we're absolutely destroying his development. 1 goal in almost half a season, no offensive production, no confidence, just the occasional hitting. That's not what I want out of a top pick. He belongs in the WHL where he could have developed his offensive game a bit more.

You keep bringing up Nylander, so I keep comparing him to Vey.  Vey also put up big numbers in the AHL.  I believe Nylander will follow the same course.  He's not elite offensively, and is horrible defensively.  He provides NOTHING, if not getting points, which I believe he won't do in the NHL - just like Vey.  As a result, he'll be back in Europe by the age of 24.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You keep bringing up Nylander, so I keep comparing him to Vey.  Vey also put up big numbers in the AHL.  I believe Nylander will follow the same course.  He's not elite offensively, and is horrible defensively.  He provides NOTHING, if not getting points, which I believe he won't do in the NHL - just like Vey.  As a result, he'll be back in Europe by the age of 24.  

All due respect but Nylander is far better than Vey, and we'll all see how good he is in the NHL when he gets his first game next season. He'll be a 40-60 point player next season and it'll only be a matter of time before he's a point per game type player in the big league. But I guess time will tell...

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

All due respect but Nylander is far better than Vey, and we'll all see how good he is in the NHL when he gets his first game next season. He'll be a 40-60 point player next season and it'll only be a matter of time before he's a point per game type player in the big league. But I guess time will tell...

My point is it's all only speculation, because there is no evidence one way or another.  I say his offence does not transfer, so he will be a liability, just like Vey.  

Finally, a smart move by coaching and management to send the kid back. His games in the AHL and NHL will help, but this is certainly the right thing to do. I commend Benning, Linden and WD on this because it can't be easy to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong in burning a year on his ELC.

Replace him with Grenier/Kenins/Gaunce and we've done well.

Now in terms of McCann, he looks good with the Canucks but hasn't produce offensively in a long time. Tough decision, I'd be happy to keep him on because we don't really have a center ready for his minutes. Linden Vey is a curious one though, he's really stunk it up in the AHL so far but he was plotted to be our 4C to start the season and score 10-15 goals. I really think we should give this guy a decent chance at replacing McCann's minutes because if he can do so, we have the freedom to send McCann back to junior as well which would be huge for these kids' confidences and development.

Give Vey a little 5 or 6 game stint with the Canucks, scratch one of our many failing bottom-9 forwards and see how he goes. If he scores a bit and looks good defensively then we have the option to send McCann back too.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Finally, a smart move by coaching and management to send the kid back. His games in the AHL and NHL will help, but this is certainly the right thing to do. I commend Benning, Linden and WD on this because it can't be easy to swallow their pride and admit they were wrong in burning a year on his ELC.

Replace him with Grenier/Kenins/Gaunce and we've done well.

Now in terms of McCann, he looks good with the Canucks but hasn't produce offensively in a long time. Tough decision, I'd be happy to keep him on because we don't really have a center ready for his minutes. Linden Vey is a curious one though, he's really stunk it up in the AHL so far but he was plotted to be our 4C to start the season and score 10-15 goals. I really think we should give this guy a decent chance at replacing McCann's minutes because if he can do so, we have the freedom to send McCann back to junior as well which would be huge for these kids' confidences and development.

Give Vey a little 5 or 6 game stint with the Canucks, scratch one of our many failing bottom-9 forwards and see how he goes. If he scores a bit and looks good defensively then we have the option to send McCann back too.

I like this idea, giving Virtanen and McCann a long  taste of the NHL action before getting sent down could be better in the long anyway. They know the level they need to strive toward being at and can really work on their game while getting tonnes of playing time. 

On December 15, 2015 at 10:32 PM, The 5th Line said:

Wow now people are putting words in to my mouth. This is great.

I happen to think Jake will be an absolute beast at this tournament, although, not as much of a beast as some of you are expecting.  

On December 15, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Gstank29 said:

I'm I?  or I'm a just condensing  all your posts over the last couple of days.

I could quote them all but there are two many

On December 15, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Gstank29 said:

Here's the "twat" one. I don't see how this can't be intrupted  as you calling him a twat.

how can you possibly get twat from that without putting words into his mouth

how many posts is two many more than acceptable quoting feedstock

26 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Practice lines for Canada's pre-competition roster this morning in Finland.

Embedded image permalink

looks like vey's down on the 4th D pairing.

virtanen with perlini and point could be filthy.

gauthier with barzal is hilarious - like playing tanner glass with henrik, no amount of slick hands and vision makes up for the lack of speed and stone hands he brings. if jake doesnt crack the top 6, gauthier's out imo. junior game doesn't suit him like open nets don't suit tanner glass.

Edited by Edlerberry

4 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

looks like vey's down on the 4th D pairing.

virtanen with perlini and point could be filthy.

gauthier with barzal is hilarious - like playing tanner glass with henrik, no amount of slick hands and vision makes up for the lack of speed and stone hands he brings. if jake doesnt crack the top 6, gather's out imo.

Sure you're not mistaking Julien for Fredrik?

• Upvote 1