The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

18 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

That was whining?  Maybe.  Was that telling the truth?  Yes

By your standards it looks like McCann may have sh*t the bed as well. 

"Virtanen will play on top six for Team Canada; no decision made on if Jared McCann will join him." - Benning

"If McCann goes to Team Canada, Linden Vey or Alex Friesen could fill the void." - Benning

Courtesy of VC

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Nice, you talk to TL and JB?  That's sick, man

Pretty sure Benning explicitly said they wanted control of Virtanen's development and environment. That was one of the reasons they kept him here.

Edited by DanHamhoose

4 minutes ago, DanHamhoose said:

Pretty sure Benning explicitly said they wanted control of Virtanen's development and environment. That was one of the reasons they kept him here.

And you trust all he says because?  He's selling tickets, and keeping his owner happy.  The player personnel is only a part of his job.  He promotes the team, and influences its value.  His simple way of speaking makes him appear too stupid to be dishonest, but he will spin a yarn just like a smooth talker like his predecessor.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And you trust all he says because?  He's selling tickets, and keeping his owner happy.  The player personnel is only a part of his job.  He promotes the team, and influences its value.  His simple way of speaking makes him appear too stupid to be dishonest, but he will spin a yarn just like a smooth talker like his predecessor.

If we don't trust him, who do we trust? We might as well all just spew a bunch of nonsense at that point and make no sense doing it. (even though some people do that on this forum anyway)

Don't forget that promoting the team also involves developing a good team. He's not going to say stuff just to promote the team if it doesn't make sense for a player's development.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

lol I was only backing up what r3al said with what Benning said

50 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Correct. He has 1 goal since october, he needs a pick-me-up.  But I will be surprised if he is loaned to Canada.  We'll see

How can it be a pick-me-up for McCann but a disappointmentf or Virtanen

Their not the only 19 year olds are dropping off 

Ritchie 1 point in 11

Ehlers something like 3 points in his last 19

Anyways, It's your opinion, have at it. It's not my place to call you a whiner if I don't like some of the things you post. 

Edited by Canorth
  • Upvote 1

Just now, The Lock said:

If we don't trust him, who do we trust? We might as well all just spew a bunch of nonsense at that point and make no sense doing it.

Don't forget that promoting the team also involves developing a good team. He's not going to say stuff just to promote the team if it doesn't make sense for a player's development.

Personally, I don't care if he's being honest.  I can, in no way, influence his decisions. His choices will reflect the owners, regardless of his public comments.

And I agree.  We do - ALL OF US - spew nonsense, because we are fanatical about our team.  Although, some of the posters here, seem to have a better understanding of what direction the Canucks should be taking than JB espouses.

5 minutes ago, DanHamhoose said:

lol I was only backing up what r3al said with what Benning said

Oh. It's like that game we played as kids in school: pass a spoken message around the class, and by the time it reaches the last kid it's all messed up, except in Surrey where they shoot the messenger - LITERALLY.  :lol:

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Personally, I don't care if he's being honest.  I can, in no way, influence his decisions. His choices will reflect the owners, regardless of his public comments.

And I agree.  We do - ALL OF US - spew nonsense, because we are fanatical about our team.  Although, some of the posters here, seem to have a better understanding of what direction the Canucks should be taking than JB espouses.

Questionable really. You're talking about people literally looking from the outside in at what's going on. None of these people sit in JB's office, talk with the players, talk with the coach, talk with the other GMs, talk with the league, etc. It's like looking at cake through a window. While one cake might look better than the other, the taste could be very different. That's all people on this board are really doing, looking and not tasting. It's kind of hard to actually be accurate on making a good decision at that point unless if you're actually inside the store, or inside of Benning's office and sitting in his office chair.

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Questionable really. You're talking about people literally looking from the outside in at what's going on. None of these people sit in JB's office, talk with the players, talk with the coach, talk with the other GMs, talk with the league, etc. It's like looking at cake through a window. While one cake might look better than the other, the taste could be very different. That's all people on this board are really doing, looking and not tasting. It's kind of hard to actually be accurate on making a good decision at that point unless if you're actually inside the store, or inside of Benning's office and sitting in his office chair.

Should we be rebuilding?  The cake in the window is clearly old and falling apart as we can clearly see through the glass.  JB is still trying to sell the stale old cake, and he's saying it's still good - just needs some new frosting.  We know he's putting spin on the truth, and know he needs to make a new cake, or at least some of us do.  That doesn't mean we will stop shopping at his bakery, but I think his boss, the store owner, believes that's exactly what will happen, so he keeps telling Benning to push the old cake.  It takes time to bake and decorate a nice new cake, and waiting for it to be finished can be painful, but the end product is most often delicious.  Build a new cake JB.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Should we be rebuilding?  The cake in the window is clearly old and falling apart as we can clearly see through the glass.  JB is still trying to sell the stale old cake, and he's saying it's still good - just needs some new frosting.  We know he's putting spin on the truth, and know he needs to make a new cake, or at least some of us do.  That doesn't mean we will stop shopping at his bakery, but I think his boss, the store owner, believes that's exactly what will happen, so he keeps telling Benning to push the old cake.  It takes time to bake and decorate a nice new cake, and waiting for it to be finished can be painful, but the end product is most often delicious.  Build a new cake JB.

Let me restate what I just said: from the outside looking in, it's harder to tell what's actually happening and make an educated guess on what action to take. People get focused on single cakes falling apart that they don't look at the entire display. They're looking at that one cake. They don't see new cakes being added while the old ones get taken down. How good of an overall display will it be? Well, I guess time will tell won't it? But one thing's for sure: it's a lot easier to work on such a display from the inside than the outside. ;)

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

The plan would of been that Jake was playing good in the NHL and that we wouldn't have to send him to a junior tournament.

Really, this is not what we wanted to see.

If you're delusional and thought he'd be leading the Calder race sure... 

Some of us were always more realistic than that. 

42 minutes ago, The Lock said:

This all depends on what Virtanen and Benning's facial expressions are while eating the cake, doesn't it? :P:P:P

11 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If you're delusional and thought he'd be leading the Calder race sure... 

Some of us were always more realistic than that. 

Just because the current Calder leader is three years older, that is no reason not to have similar expectations of Jake.  

26 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Because McCann was playing very well at the start of the season and Virtanen on the other hand was not.  Another AHL game for Virtanen today, have we heard ANY positives from the people who watched the game?  No.   But he got a couple shots on goal so I guess that is some improvement?

Is him working on his play in Junior really such a big deal?  Has any player ever been hurt by having to spend an extra year in junior?

Luc Bourdon got a severe leg injury once returned back to junior.  Injuries could have happened at any level, but considering that he completely regressed in his development, perhaps in an alternate scenario, if he was up with the Canucks, having an elite pro-level medical/training staff, plus veteran mentors to guide him along (Linden, Naslund, Ohlund, Salo, etc.).... it might have led him down a different path.