The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, Alflives said:

Craig Button, this weekend, said Boeser is currently the best player not in the NHL.  That combined with a much weaker than recent drafts coming up, and I see Boeser as having a really good chance for the Calder.  

Button said ONE of the best, let's not forget that there are 29 other teams in the NHL that have very good prospects.

12 minutes ago, terrible.dee said:

As it was stupid to have Virtanen and McCann up here last year, thus there has been a precedent set by the organization for prematurely graduating top prospects , 

And BTW this is how you support a point, with evidence

Using words like delusional and stupid in a reply doesn't actually prove anything, However it's a good indicator that whoever is using them  

1. has no evidence to support their POV

2. Does not possess the cognitive skills necessary to identify and articulate any evidence that might exist

I could actually think of a few arguments to support your position.........so that kinda narrows it down, don't it?

Virtanen was with the big club because, while he may not have been ready to play every night in the NHL, the major organization in Calgary is poor. Management thought that he would learn a hell of a lot more with the big club than he would playing major junior for Mark French. In the case of Jared McCann, he earned his spot out of training camp. He played very well the early part of the season, then we ran into injuries at center which forced him into a role that he was not ready for. Let's make one thing clear, both TL and JB made it clear that if the AHL was available to 19-year-olds, both Jake and Jared would have been playing there. I strongly disagree that the organization is setting a precedent for prematurely graduating prospects.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Craig Button, this weekend, said Boeser is currently the best player not in the NHL.  That combined with a much weaker than recent drafts coming up, and I see Boeser as having a really good chance for the Calder.  

Cool!

Wasn't suggesting that he wasn't that good, I honestly didn't know as I find most scouting reports to be totally useless, they compare every player to a superstar and then give some unsupported estimation of their chances of making the league!?!

I honestly wish we had strength coming at center, because I believe that is the position that wins and loses cups, but I'll take whatever we can get at this point

(I STILL think we need another center and that Joulevi could make goods trade bait for one, if his stock is rising then all the better to trade him with, prospect for prospect, D for Center ice)

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

That makes sense.  Why give a prospect any hope?  :lol: Jake, if he is playing really well, should be given opportunity, no?

Jake still needs to show consistency. He is still up and down on how he plays games. I bet if he was playing every game the way he played when Benning was watching, he would be getting a call up. 

45 minutes ago, Whale Tail said:

Jake still needs to show consistency. He is still up and down on how he plays games. I bet if he was playing every game the way he played when Benning was watching, he would be getting a call up. 

What time frame do you speak of? Curious if it was the 4-8 game stint 6-8 weeks ago?

44 minutes ago, Western Red said:

What time frame do you speak of? Curious if it was the 4-8 game stint 6-8 weeks ago?

More recent than that. A week ago? Sorry traveling in Hong Kong right now and my sense of time is out of Wack.  The one Green said was his best game of the year and I think Benning and others were watching it in person. 

• Upvote 1

Fun Fact: The Vancouver Canucks drafted the highest goal scoring rookie of the last 10 years - Michael Grabner. He even beat players like Evgeni Malkin and John Tavares with 34 goals in his rookie year; and only surpassed by Crosby and Ovechkin in the last 20 years. What other Canucks rookie also scored 34 goals in his rookie year? Pavel Bure. 

Edited by HomeBrew
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Can we not bring that up?  Yeah thanks :P 

To be fair Grabner played like 150 pro games before he finally entered his full rookie season.

Perfect example of inconsistency and low hockey IQ.  The guy can't get an assist to save his life but he already has 22 goals this year, he only managed 9 goals all of last season

and my comment get's minused for some reason...cool

Because all you said originally was "Can we not bring that up? Yeah thanks" but way to try to redeem yourself by editing your post and minusing my comment in retaliation. But so sorry if I hurt your ego - hope you don't lose sleep over it. 

Anyways, further towards my original post, there has only been 31 players ever in the history of the NHL to score 30 or more goals in their rookie season, so yeah its not a common thing to do to say the least and highly unlikely to happen in the future unless drafting a Matthews or Laine type player. Maybe if Boeser had a Henrik in his prime feeding him passes all season long, but we don't have a play maker currently to do that these days. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think both Boeser and Juiolevi are on our team next season.  I also believe Boeser wins the Calder.  

Kyle Connor DOMINATED the NCAA  last year and started the season in the NHL this yr, then played himself down the the AHL. I'm sure he'll be great player one day but it'll take a bit of time. 

Boeser is on the right track and has a shot at the Calder but let's not get carried away here and get disappointed when he can't make an instant impact.