The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, shayster007 said:

I couldn't see Juolevi being ready for the big show. Another year in juniors will likely be best for his development followed by 1-3 years in the AHL would be my presumption. Boeser on the other hand could be ready to slot into the canucks next year. I think management has learned their lesson and will only allow player to stay in the bigs if it's earned. If he earns it, good for him, bring it on. If he doesn't I would love to see him paired with Virtanen running the first line in Utica (assuming Virt also gets his game settled and is on the first line).

Also 2010 called, They want their arena back.

Ya depending on who turns pro/sticks with the big club. Maybe we'd see a Virtanen-Gaudette-Boeser line?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe before we draft a guy we should be interviewing his closest friends too?  I think if the Canucks did their due diligence they might have realized the crowd Jake spends his time with was a negative?

Why don't you tell us more about this negative crowd you seem to know so much about?

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Maybe before we draft a guy we should be interviewing his closest friends too?  I think if the Canucks did their due diligence they might have realized the crowd Jake spends his time with was a negative?

8 hours ago, jobird said:

Bit of a boozer with buddies.  Hopefully that's the off ice issue he's done with.

Where is this information coming from??

I remember seeing a picture of him with Justin Beiber last year and then the "hear-say" crowd showed up with their interpretations of it.. 

Kid can't go to a Beiber concert?

Cant have a beer ?

Cmon man.

• Upvote 2

On 1/31/2017 at 10:18 PM, Whale Tail said:

More recent than that. A week ago? Sorry traveling in Hong Kong right now and my sense of time is out of Wack.  The one Green said was his best game of the year and I think Benning and others were watching it in person. 

Yes, it was just recently. Last week I think.

I'm happy to here he's being left in Utica for the rest of the year. He needs more seasoning clearly.

9 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I remember seeing a picture of him with Justin Beiber last year and then the "hear-say" crowd showed up with their interpretations of it.. 

Cant have a beer ?

Cmon man.

Yeah, let the boy enjoy hanging out with Biebs. He's only 20 years old, just imagine the thrill of it.

On 12/10/2016 at 7:19 PM, Dickie said:

What a beauty goal too. 3 game goal streak. Seems to have found some sort of groove now.

3 game goal streak?

Did this start after Linden said he wasn't coming back this year?

Could it be that Jake has gotten the message?

This will be interesting to watch, I'm pessimistic on him, but I would LOVE to be wrong

On 1/25/2017 at 11:11 AM, gurn said:

Interesting, I just thought you would have a list, after posting this on page 65

"Our scouts are trash. They recommend guys like Schroeder, Gaunce, Hodgson, Juolevi, virtanen...etc when there are clearly better players available. Makes me sick the screw ups they make time after time. "

Just thought that since you believe there are clearly better players available, you would have done some research. But perhaps you are just pulling your beliefs from thin air.

I know you think you are being clever but the other poster never said he would make a good scout

He said that our lack of drafting success may indicate we better scouts, the fact that we rarely seem to make the best pick at our position and that other teams getting better players drafting after us proves this.    

How you take this to mean he believes himself to be an NHL caliber scout I have no idea

So, if your friend tells you he went to a movie and it wasn't good, do you start going like "So when is your summer blockbuster coming out? I mean,you must have one if you are going to say that the one you saw isn't good"

Yeah...........Mabey it's time to move to plan B for looking clever

NEWS 1130 SportsVerified account ‏@NEWS1130Sports  1h1 hour ago

Jake Virtanen talks with Ben Birnell at the Utica Observer-Dispatch about his season with the Comets. #Canucks

Virtanen on lack of points : "It's all part of the process, a little adversity. But every player goes it, I'm working through it." #Canucks

Virtanen said he feels like he's been able find his game because he's slimmed down from 228 pounds to 215. #Canucks

Virtanen : "I feel a lot faster, more explosive, I'm building off that and I want to get stronger and learn every day. #Canucks

Virtanen : "Guys in VAN want to see me every night being a difference-maker, that's what I'm focusing on and trying to be." #Canucks

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Jake Virtanen talks with Ben Birnell at the Utica Observer-Dispatch about his season with the Comets. #Canucks

Virtanen on lack of points : "It's all part of the process, a little adversity. But every player goes it, I'm working through it." #Canucks

Virtanen said he feels like he's been able find his game because he's slimmed down from 228 pounds to 215. #Canucks

Virtanen : "I feel a lot faster, more explosive, I'm building off that and I want to get stronger and learn every day. #Canucks

Virtanen : "Guys in VAN want to see me every night being a difference-maker, that's what I'm focusing on and trying to be." #Canucks

So he knows he was too heavy before.  Now, will he make the off ice sacrifices needed to keep his weight down? 

8 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

Alf is often exaggerating or trolling but in this instance I think he has a point.

Do you have some hard sources on that or is it just your gut feeling?  

I know this is a message board, but we're talking about a 20 year old kid in a market in which both media and fans hound players.  I know he's, 'a pro' and needs to be able to 'handle it' but sometimes I feel like the media and fans move into borderline harassment and/or defamation based on hearsay, weak sources and/or gut feelings.  

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Great to hear. Hope it translates. Can someone remind me if it was the Canucks that wanted him to gain weight or slim down? Either way I'm glad he's making progress to becoming the player he can be. 

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Sounds like he's starting to figuring it out despite all the prognostications of doom and gloom by some.

Perhaps a not so distant comparable to Jake could be Anthony Mantha. Drafted one year before Jake and is just starting to be relevant for the Red Wings this year. Sometimes it takes a little marinating for these larger wings. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Cant have a beer ?

Cmon man.

You're right it's not worth the gossip but from the obvious 'friends of friends' type stuff which nobody takes seriously that's what I've heard.  Not just the Bieber thing.  He was training most of the summer 5 days a week at Rogers and came in at 230 pounds.  Now he's in Utica (away from the local scene) and at 215 pounds.  Add in the comments from Henrik about learning to be a pro off the ice and it's not hard to add it all together that it's more than just one here one there.  I loved that they drafted him I just hope he truly does figure it out because he has the tools to be a force.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Detroit is notorious for cooking there prospects in the minors for multiple seasons, unless your name is Dylan Larkin or Steve Yzerman.

Mantha progressed in his draft+1 year and scored 57 goals in 57 games.  He then continued to progress nicely in the AHL, how is Mantha a comparable to Jake?  

Mantha was probably the oldest player in his draft year. His D+1 is more equivalent to Virtanen's D+2, given Virtanen was one of the youngest players in his draft. Jake actually scored at a better clip in his draft year than Mantha did, while playing in a league generally perceived as being tougher to score in. Mantha had some struggles in his first pro reason as well. He put up better numbers than Jake has so far but he struggled nonetheless, and I don't think his being in the AHL was simply a case of Detroit letting him marinate. He simply wasn't ready for the NHL. If Jake were to take a significant step forward next year, or even down the stretch this year, it's not unreasonable to draw comparisons between the two.