The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

10 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

NHL is not a sprint. Patience, longevity & Success in he LONG RUN will determine the better player.

You can go on for days. months or even years, but the truth is in the future.

:canucks::canucks::canucks:.

False. The only thing that is true, is the present and the past. Future, by definition, is unknown and dependent on hope. 
Nobody is saying Jake is going to end up as an inferior player than Nylander/Ehlers/Pastrnak. What people are legitimately saying, is that he is an inferior player, by some distance, to them RIGHT NOW and over their careers so far. He can change that in the future and that is all a fan of the team can HOPE for. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Stan,

Just gotta chime in here, you have to b good to b lucky.  Even if you only stat watch, you cannot look back the last 60 NHL games Jake has played and not see a significant change.  

Watching him on the ice, while different player than when he came into the league, his speed is undeniably good, but his intensity and power is coming out on the forecheck.  

He is fast becoming that powerful winger he was billed as at the draft, but plays a solid two way game.  If his trendline continues thru this season he will finish with 25 goals, likely leading the team in hits, with a great takeaway ratio, corsi and only 22 years old playing limited minutes thru the first 20 games or so.  

Jake is establishing himself as a legitimate top 6 player on one of the most exciting and young teams currently in the NHL.  

There is no way he gets exposed in the Seattle draft.  

Yep. Which is why i said, the current graph is pointing towards the positive. And thats a good thing. I just want to see it over the course of a couple of seasons to weed out streaks and such. 

My feeling is, if he can secure a top six role in the team, he won't be exposed to the seattle draft. If he cannot, then he either gets traded or exposed. For eg, if we end up drafting Kakko and Kakko plays like a top 3 pick is supposed to,  Virtanen might just become excess guy unless he develops his defensive game enough to kill penalties and be a bottom six right-winger/ play the left wing (playing off-wing requires significant defensive game development, unless you are elite, like Jagr and stuff).

12 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

False. The only thing that is true, is the present and the past. Future, by definition, is unknown and dependent on hope. 
Nobody is saying Jake is going to end up as an inferior player than Nylander/Ehlers/Pastrnak. What people are legitimately saying, is that he is an inferior player, by some distance, to them RIGHT NOW and over their careers so far. He can change that in the future and that is all a fan of the team can HOPE for. 

I think what they signed for this year shows that

I agree the future is uncertain (But finally looking better)

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

h4A39875A

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yep. Which is why i said, the current graph is pointing towards the positive. And thats a good thing. I just want to see it over the course of a couple of seasons to weed out streaks and such. 

My feeling is, if he can secure a top six role in the team, he won't be exposed to the seattle draft. If he cannot, then he either gets traded or exposed. For eg, if we end up drafting Kakko and Kakko plays like a top 3 pick is supposed to,  Virtanen might just become excess guy unless he develops his defensive game enough to kill penalties and be a bottom six right-winger/ play the left wing (playing off-wing requires significant defensive game development, unless you are elite, like Jagr and stuff).

Our draft pick this year wont be elligible as he would have only played 2019-2020. If we acquired another forward through free agency or trade then he maybe. But right now Virtanen would take the 6th spot so we still have a 7th to protect him. 

38 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I think people need to stop living in the past and accept that we drafted Jake and are seemingly trying to get the most out of him.

Jakes going to be a good nhler, live with it and quit complaining about something that didn’t happen 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is Ale classified as beer?  Dark, bitter Ale is rather nice.  

It is to me, wont touch it.  My favorite is hearing about rattlers?  Fruit juice and beer:sick:  Why not mix some milk in there too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I never had a beer in my life(and never will), I feel so alone.

Bong hits for Boeser needs to be a thing. 

Cheers mate. Non-drinker here too. I do love the recent trend with Jake though, haha.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tre Mac said:

It is to me, wont touch it.  My favorite is hearing about rattlers?  Fruit juice and beer:sick:  Why not mix some milk in there too.

Tomato juice and beer I've tried.  :sick:

Nothing tops a really good single blend scotch to me though.  When Jake scores, I'll have a shot.  (if I can find the bloody bottle!)

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Cheers mate. Non-drinker here too. I do love the recent trend with Jake though, haha.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Tomato juice and beer I've tried.  :sick:

Nothing tops a really good single blend scotch to me though.  When Jake scores, I'll have a shot.  (if I can find the bloody bottle!)

I should clarify that I do drink occasionally, more of a seasonal drinker though.  I'll usually go on a summertime bender and call it a year.

59 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

Our draft pick this year wont be elligible as he would have only played 2019-2020. If we acquired another forward through free agency or trade then he maybe. But right now Virtanen would take the 6th spot so we still have a 7th to protect him. 

I didnt mean just draft protection. I meant in the team. If Boeser+ Kakko or someone other than Virtanen locks down the RW slot in the top six, Virtanen either *has* to make it stick as a LW or he'll likely be traded for a dude who is more of a fit in the bottom-six/defense. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

I didnt mean just draft protection. I meant in the team. If Boeser+ Kakko or someone other than Virtanen locks down the RW slot in the top six, Virtanen either *has* to make it stick as a LW or he'll likely be traded for a dude who is more of a fit in the bottom-six/defense. 

Vancouver is not going to trade Virtanen anytime soon, and would be crazy to

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2018 at 11:10 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning may have not chosen the "best player available" in the 2014 draft. 

A problem many have is that they simply equate "best player" with most points.  In large part yes, the better scorers are better players, but it's not a linear scale.  If it were wholly true, then drafting would be a breeze -- just sort-by-points.  Many call McDavid "the best player in the world".  Sure he's the best points-producer, but is he really the best overall player?  Far bigger debate there, akin to a similar one that took place a number of years ago between Crosby and Toews.  Is Goldobin the 3rd-best player (forward) on the Canucks?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

If Virtanen keeps improving like he has, i don't think that will be a problem. You may refuse to see his improvement, but it's there.

Edited by The Lock