The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

The whole sequence was a bad play.

You may single out one player and say it was his fault, but I'm not going to.

I think fans are focusing a little too closely on Virtanen.

Nah, I don't think so. Everyone could see that it was a horrible pinch as much as it was a lazy back check. The fact that he's being called out for it in a Virtanen thread shouldn't be too surprising.

• Upvote 1

The whole sequence was a bad play.

You may single out one player and say it was his fault, but I'm not going to.

I think fans are focusing a little too closely on Virtanen.

Bowey got caught but Virtanen can't just bail on the back-check the way he did in a gold medal game. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, you have to give 100%. All he had to do was move his feet. Looked like he didn't even realize there was a player to his right until the goal went in.

He's been pretty good this tournament but that was atrocious.

• Upvote 1

Virtanens Benched :picard: Paul took his shift with McDavid and Lazer then came out with Petan and Point

Boy oh Boy I bet the shoulda drafted player X or Y crowd will feat on this.

Seriously that was a blown call, no need to put the kids butt on the bench

Bowey got caught but Virtanen can't just bail on the back-check the way he did in a gold medal game. Doesn't matter who's fault it is, you have to give 100%. All he had to do was move his feet. Looked like he didn't even realize there was a player to his right until the goal went in.

He's been pretty good this tournament but that was atrocious.

Actually if you watch the play closely, Virtanen was looking to take away the pass to the high man.

All Bowey had to do is disrupt the pass up to the guy springing down the left.

Just a miscommunication caused by a bad pinch. Move on.

Thought the lineup was wrong after Petan lit up the Slovaks and was rewarded for it. Quickly taken off that line after he got physically dominated. Then Paul was put on and he was a turnover machine. I guess the coach forgot how Lazar-McDavid-Virtanen looked against the US. Oh well. Good thing these decisions didn't cost the win, but it was sure close.

This was a pretty good game for him, he was doing quite well for the role he was given. Had some nice hits, skated well, even had some offensive chances.

Even in the games where he wasn't as good it was nice that he was able to throw atleast 1-2 big hits.

He is still raw obviously, needs work defensively, needs to be more consistent/focused, buts he's 18 it is what it is.

He should be back in Junior next year and back at this tournament, another year of junior has done wonders for Domi and I think it could do the same for Virtanen next year.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 2

Since he has pro speed and physicality, Benning and WD probably want to start developing him as a pro asap. There's no reason for him to continue letting junior players bounce off him for another season. But let them do what they want. Just glad we picked him up. Tremendous skill set and physicality shown by such a young player.