The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Kid has a game more suited to NHL than international hockey, IMO. Like his game more than Horvat's, his balance and speed along with his nastiness and the heavy game he plays, I think will bode well in the NHL

The move he made going through the Russian D-mans legs and picking the puck up on the other side, tells me he has the offensive talent to go along with it.

The mistakes he made and poor positioning at times can definitely be coached up. Again, most of that can be attributed to youth, experience etc.

Looking forward to the day he plays for Canucks,But when that day comes I am sure he will be ready for the challenge.Thanks for all the great posters here an videos. Coaching will help him in defensive aspect of his game development.There is alot of upside potential .WD does not really like to play kids on big team so may be bit of a wait to see him here in 3 or 4 yrs hopefully he takes nhl by storm in his rookies year as some think he may.To bad the ahl has that silly rule for north american drafted players ,Jake may be stuck in jrs for his final year an equally bad is it wil be somewhat wasted by not getting coaching he needs to continue to his full potential development.

• Upvote 1

You listen to Craig Button to much if you believe Jake will turn out to be Torres. Torres is a very good player and if your right and he does turn out to Be like Torres that's okay. Torres was very important to us in our cup run and was one of the most feared nhł players. You always have to keep your head up with Torres on the ice

Yeah. Torres was an extremely effective player when he was young. A big part of Oilers cup run in 2003. His problem seems to be personal / locker room nature.

We like Virtanen to turn out better than Torres of course, but if Torres is to be his ceiling, I'm ok.

Yeah. Torres was an extremely effective player when he was young. A big part of Oilers cup run in 2003. His problem seems to be personal / locker room nature.

We like Virtanen to turn out better than Torres of course, but if Torres is to be his ceiling, I'm ok.

Liked Torres and what he brought to the team, I think Virts is more controlled and brings an even better offensive upside to his game though.

Just something about the kid, a gut feeling if you will, telling me that he will bring something special to the team.

2003 whaaaat?

You mean 05/06?

After this tournament, I am almost certain he will not be with the Canucks next season.

Reason? Defense - especially when he will have guys like Jensen, Shinkaruk and Gaunce who've worked hard in the minors and are much more polished in their game.

Hmmm, not sure if Jensen, Shinkaruk and Gaunce are going to be better defensively than Virtanen going forward. Jensen's consistency and battle isn't there, Shinkaruk will likely never be known for his defense, and Gaunce still needs to pick up his speed and consistency.

With Virtanen I just see a player who won't need seasoning in the minors. The size, skills and strength are already there, he just needs to be told where to go and what to do and he'll do it. But this is just my opinion.

I like Virtanen and believe that hell be a valuable player for this franchise for years to come. Hes a middle 6 player for sure though, and I suspect that hell get moved around the lineup during his NHL tenure in similar fashion to how he was deployed for team Canada. Wouldve liked to see him accrue some more PP time and get a chance to unleash his onetimer, but there were better options for Canada.

Still the issue for our prospect group is lack of cant miss top 6 F and top 4 Dmen. We're chalked full of sure fire bottom 6 grinders whichll help the team to remain deep and competitive, but imo the jury is out on whether the likes of Horvat, Kassian, Jensen, and Shinkaruk will ever be able to take on a significant scoring role at the NHL level. That has to be concerning for management as the Sedins tenure comes to an end. Free agency is always an option as theres bound to be cap space available without any allstar scorers to retain. At this point Id gamble on moving a package including any of Kassian, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce along with Higgins, Burrows, and Bonino if there was a deal that could land us a cant miss top line center prospect thats ready to take on that role.

Theres imo enough depth prospects with Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Cassels whom may very well evolve into very effective 2nd liners, but teams without a bonafied top line are nary to compete for the prize.

I like Virtanen and believe that hell be a valuable player for this franchise for years to come. Hes a middle 6 player for sure though, and I suspect that hell get moved around the lineup during his NHL tenure in similar fashion to how he was deployed for team Canada. Wouldve liked to see him accrue some more PP time and get a chance to unleash his onetimer, but there were better options for Canada.

Still the issue for our prospect group is lack of cant miss top 6 F and top 4 Dmen. We're chalked full of sure fire bottom 6 grinders whichll help the team to remain deep and competitive, but imo the jury is out on whether the likes of Horvat, Kassian, Jensen, and Shinkaruk will ever be able to take on a significant scoring role at the NHL level. That has to be concerning for management as the Sedins tenure comes to an end. Free agency is always an option as theres bound to be cap space available without any allstar scorers to retain. At this point Id gamble on moving a package including any of Kassian, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce along with Higgins, Burrows, and Bonino if there was a deal that could land us a cant miss top line center prospect thats ready to take on that role.

Theres imo enough depth prospects with Virtanen, Horvat, McCann, Cassels whom may very well evolve into very effective 2nd liners, but teams without a bonafied top line are nary to compete for the prize.

I'd rather sign Johansen to a nice UFA deal in a few years once the twins retire and their cap comes off the books.

I really like Virts physicality. I don't know why that 2nd period hit is called a penalty? The thing I noticed is that he floats around everywhere. He's in the left wing then goes to the middle to the right wing. Passing is good, great outlet pass to Point that led Paul's goal. He got benched in the third I believe because he didn't back check on that 2-1 goal by the Russians. He was gliding. He could've caught up to the guy that scored with his speed but stopped skating on the blue line. He still needs a lot of work but I can see him having an impact in the NHL.

I really like Virts physicality. I don't know why that 2nd period hit is called a penalty? The thing I noticed is that he floats around everywhere. He's in the left wing then goes to the middle to the right wing. Passing is good, great outlet pass to Point that led Paul's goal. He got benched in the third I believe because he didn't back check on that 2-1 goal by the Russians. He was gliding. He could've caught up to the guy that scored with his speed but stopped skating on the blue line. He still needs a lot of work but I can see him having an impact in the NHL.

he sat on the bench becuase he's a support players this year and they were fending off Russian waves. It was a pretty steady diet of the top 2 lines, with Gauthier on for key faceoffs.

I thought JV had a good game and a good tournament, but in the end, this wasn't his tournament, it was the boys who will be graduating the program this year. JV will get his chance next year. We should be happy he was chosen (especially after such a ong layoff) and that he showed very well.

• Upvote 1

Virtanen's whole attitude is one of waiting for an offensive opportunity... he doesn't think defense.

He's always ready to take off down the ice.... circling at the defensive blue line.

He doesn't use his physical abilities or his scating ability in the defensive zone.

Considering his amazing speed and tremendous strength he could be all over opposing players in the backcheck, but I don't think I saw him do that once... as soon as he passes center ice heading towards his own zone, he is gliding.

He only seems to come alive in the offensive zone.

I like the way he stands up for his team mates... not at all afraid to challenge a larger player, and has a good hands in a fight... he seems to be quite willing to mix it.

He will definitely be a coaching challenge, but if someone can get him to wrap his head around the idea of the backcheck, he has all the speed and strength to become a Selke trophy winner, he only has to take a few steps and he catches up with anyone on the ice and then can force them off the puck... just needs to want to do that.

I disagree. I can remember a number of times he managed to use his speed to back check and uses his strong body to get between the puck handler and the puck.In fact, in many occurrences, he made it look almost too easy. I found his defensive play to be good. Not fantastic, but definitely solid

• Upvote 1

I've been comparing Virtanen to Torres since last year, and honestly from the few games I've seen of him with Calgary this year, and then this WJC, I'm feeling even more confident in that comparison.

That being said, Virtanen has a much better shot than Torres. and he's more aggressive/successful driving the puck towards the net (of course this could very likely change once he plays against men), so I think he will have a slightly higher offensive ceiling, but all in all it is still the best comparison IMO. I'm thinking that he will be able to consistently put up numbers akin to Torres' best seasons (20ish goals and 40ish points).

Edited by Jägermeister

I actually didn't think it was a bad game for Jake, not saying he didn't do anything wrong because he did, but all in all not bad.

Not to make excuses for Jake or his linemates, who were rather ineffective, but if you watch at about 4:50, him and I think Braydon Point are 2 feet away from each other throughout their entire O-zone possession. Already been pointed out but his back check, or lack thereof, can be attributed to the 3rd Russian goal.

Another thing I noticed is that for someone so big and strong (obvious by his massive hits throughout the tournament) he seems to be rather weak on the puck. A lot of his rushes into the zone seemed to end in him being stripped and the Russians heading back the other way. However, with that being said, when he would enter the zone and maintain possession, particularly when he drove wide, he looked rather dangerous, and had the Russian D chasing him (Petan chance, 4:45). If he could do that on a more consistent basis he's going to be very effective.