The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I don't know how you could say that based purely on this week's tournament play.

I would say Dylan Larkin was the most impressive of them all - really reminded me of Ryan Kesler - strong two-way center that can put up points and score goals. Aside from Larkin, no one's had a particularly strong tournament - Fabbri was solid until his injury but not great. Nylander and Ehlers were both limited to PP. Ritchie and Virtanen have both been struggling to find their game in a short tournament. Fiala was probably the most disappointing of them all.

Based purely on tournament play, I would put Larkin and Fabbri ahead of Virtanen. That being said, I would still take Virtanen over everyone because although I don't think he's had a good tournament, I think what he has in his toolbox is still better than those that are in this conversation with him.

And that's funny that you felt that way about Fabbri - what are your thoughts on Bo Horvat going 9th overall the year prior with a strong OHL playoff/Memorial Cup?

As for Sam Bennett, it looks like Calgary thinks he can make the team now - so I wouldn't bank on Bennett being available next year. Calgary kept him on the IR after surgery, and it sounds like he's been promised some games (at least 9) once he's healthy this season. To be honest, I'm not surprised - he was amazing in pre-season. Whether that translates to actual NHL games, we'll see. It'll be tough since he'll be so rusty and he won't have the benefit of playing against rusty NHLers - they'll be going full throttle having played over half the season already.

Not saying I would pick Virtanen just based on this week. I just meant that after seeing them all play full games, my opinion has not changed. Before my opinion was based more on scouting reports more than actually seeing them play.

Of course Bo was drafted early because of his playoff/memorial cup. But the difference is I think had been ranked 10-20 all year long, if I remember correctly, so not that much of a jump. IMO Fabbri was closer to a 2nd/3rd rounder early in the year and really improve his draft position more than Bo.