The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Love how JB is so bullish on these guys, IMO he overevsluates players- Bonino, vey, virt, pedan, Ryan miller (why could we not sign him 2 yrs 5 mil? No other teams made him offers and he was in Vancouver the entire free agent period)

There are these weird things called "telephones". Some NHL teams may have harnessed their magic to get a hold of Miller's agent from incredible distances!

Does anyone know if virtanen is playing tonight for the hitmen?

It seems he will, from the game summary of their game yesterday, i think they wanted to give him just the one game off. thats what i took from it, not an official statement. Edited by wshdrvvn

Welcome back, Jake!

He just scored a slapper on the PP. 3-1 Hitmen lead.

EDIT: Listening to the Swift Current Bronco's radio broadcast. This might be the least biased hockey broadcast I've ever heard. One of their own players got hit in the head, no penalty is called, and they immediately say "Well, from the referees vantage point there was no way he could have known it was a high hit."

UPDATE: The game is tied 4-4 and going into overtime.

Edited by Canucks1219

Virtanen with 1 goal (PP), an unsuccessful shootout attempt, and -1 in his return to the Hitmen line-up.

Hitmen lose 5-4 in a shootout.

Broncos play-by-play said earlier in the game (moments before the goal) that he had lots of shots on net, though he missed on a lot of those too. He also said pre-shootout that Virtanen, Tambellini, and Rankin have been Calgary's most dangerous forwards of the night.

Yeah ahead of more skilled players like Domi, Duclair, Reinhart, McDavid, Petan, Lazar and Fabbri!

We won, so it's all good, however Duclair missed multiple wide-open nets, Fabbri fell on himself to get hurt, and Petan faded fast after one game against the Slovaks. Skill.

We won, so it's all good, however Duclair missed multiple wide-open nets, Fabbri fell on himself to get hurt, and Petan faded fast after one game against the Slovaks. Skill.

Petan was 2nd in scoring for the tournament. I guess that means we should only count points playing against every other team than Denmark and Germany? Duclair started the scoring in the GMG and was obviously one of our most skilled players. Fabbri basically missed 3 games and still finished higher in scoring than Virtanen.

Petan was 2nd in scoring for the tournament. I guess that means we should only count points playing against every other team than Denmark and Germany? Duclair started the scoring in the GMG and was obviously one of our most skilled players. Fabbri basically missed 3 games and still finished higher in scoring than Virtanen.

Still, there's no denying that having Virtanen's heavy RH shot on the power play would have been sweet.

Edited by BanTSN

I'm not worried about his lack of production at the juniors, It's hard for good players to shine in a line-up thats full of them. Think about team Canada from Sochi last year. What I was impressed by was how much of a beast he was on the ice. He was throwing massive checks and standing everybody up.

He also impressed me with his board work and patience, He created a lot of zone time from what I saw.

I predict his transition to the NHL will be a lot smoother than a lot of these other guys because of his skating ability and his size.

And I do think he could be a great first line power forward.

Edited by Stackin'ThePads
  • Upvote 1

Still, there's no denying that having Virtanen's heavy RH shot on the power play would have been sweet.

Yeah but I have questions about if he's that type of player who can find open space and learn how to get separation and find the soft spots for one-timers or open shots, in the slot. Maybe above the dots would work for hard one-timers and just keep firing.

Guest Dasein

Whiffed on a few when he finally did get the chance though