The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

The only guy who'd compete with him speed-wise is Hansen.

The only guy beating him maybe in physicality is Kassian, who he'd leave in the dust and perhaps Bieksa, ditto.

People here truly underrate his abilities. Don't worry. You will soon learn.

The only guy who'd compete with him speed-wise is Hansen.

The only guy beating him maybe in physicality is Kassian, who he'd leave in the dust and perhaps Bieksa, ditto.

People here truly underrate his abilities. Don't worry. You will soon learn.

ill have to out this one in the "told ya so" bank.

He may MAY see 9 games. Maybe

0 points tonight. 18 of 44 games held without a point. 6th overall yayy

And for the untenth Billion time, his game isnt just about getting points :picard::picard:

Getting points is part of Virtanen's game and his offence has been terribly inconsistent since the beginning of February. However, as I had mentioned in earlier posts, his timing is off this season because of his shoulder surgery recovery, which prevented him from off-season training.

I'm still very thrilled to have a local power forward as one of our prospects. Even when Virtanen's not putting the puck in the net, at least, he's putting opponents over the boards and into the bench. ;)

Just to let everyone know, Virtanen has been ranked 15th out of the top 60 NHL prospects in The Hockey News's Future Watch issue.

https://secure.thehockeynews.com/online-store/index.php?cat=S&=&feature=THNS15FUTRW1&&utm_source=thn.com&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=special_issues

Getting points is part of Virtanen's game and his offence has been terribly inconsistent since the beginning of February. However, as I had mentioned in earlier posts, his timing is off this season because of his shoulder surgery recovery, which prevented him from off-season training.

I'm still very thrilled to have a local power forward as one of our prospects. Even when Virtanen's not putting the puck in the net, at least, he's putting opponents over the boards and into the bench. ;)

Just to let everyone know, Virtanen has been ranked 15th out of the top 60 NHL prospects in The Hockey News's Future Watch issue.

https://secure.thehockeynews.com/online-store/index.php?cat=S&=&feature=THNS15FUTRW1&&utm_source=thn.com&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=special_issues

Seriously? Timing is off this season because of his injury last summer? If that is true how did he ever get onto team Canada at the WJC? That makes zero sense to me. It is great to be supportive but ...

Edited by groovy
  • Upvote 3

I don't understand why so many people are apparently so disappointed in Virtanen's point totals this year. Last season he he had 71 points in 71 games; this year so far he's totaled 45 points in just 41 games. That is a slight increase in offensive production, Last year he scored 42 goals and everyone complained about his low assist totals and presumed lack of playmaking ability and hockey sense; critics like Craig Button said he was a one trick pony than took the puck to the net strong but didn't use his line mates. This year he becomes more of a playmaker and we hear all this grumbling about low offensive totals.

Sure he hasn't taken a big step forward, but he has not regressed at all, why all the fuss?

If he's scored less goals he's probably not doing as well. Though I find it more likely that he's having problems with his team management. Which could be a bad thing. Hopefully he gets another year of juniors and a year in the ahl.

oh yea cause the goal of drafting a power forward at 6th overall is just so he hits and forechecks on the 3rd line and pots the odd goal here and there. Horvat, who was considered to barely have enough skill for the 2nd line, had a better season points wise last year than virtanen this year.

He has not showed anything more than was advertised at the draft. All the skills (hitting, speed, shot) but not the hockey iq. Very evident watching him play.

Oh noes, the hockey iq argument is back. Very evident if you watch the stats, because he hasn't scored in awhile. lul

Calgary also hasn't played in awhile. Last night was their first game in a LONG time.

Anyway, you'll eventually learn that his hockey iq is totally fine, and that his physicality, speed and shot will make him a very special player in the NHL. Between now and then, feel free to be oblivious.

• Upvote 2

Oh noes, the hockey iq argument is back. Very evident if you watch the stats, because he hasn't scored in awhile. lul

Calgary also hasn't played in awhile. Last night was their first game in a LONG time.

Anyway, you'll eventually learn that his hockey iq is totally fine, and that his physicality, speed and shot will make him a very special player in the NHL. Between now and then, feel free to be oblivious.

ya i agree all these homers are complaining because hes not scoring 4 points a game. jakes got great hockey iq passes scores hits cant complain about his game at all im looking forward to his 9 games audition in oct

Hasn't seem to slow down Sam Bennett? If you're going to throw out the argument that Bennett got a summer of training, he is playing in his 1st games at the most critical point of the season and excelling. Just food for thought.

We've made up so many excuses for our prospects in the past, just take it how it is.

I don't understand why so many people are apparently so disappointed in Virtanen's point totals this year. Last season he he had 71 points in 71 games; this year so far he's totaled 45 points in just 41 games. That is a slight increase in offensive production, Last year he scored 42 goals and everyone complained about his low assist totals and presumed lack of playmaking ability and hockey sense; critics like Craig Button said he was a one trick pony than took the puck to the net strong but didn't use his line mates. This year he becomes more of a playmaker and we hear all this grumbling about low offensive totals.

Sure he hasn't taken a big step forward, but he has not regressed at all, why all the fuss?

1PPG to 1.09 PPG is not a very big increase, especially for a 6th overall pick who's GPG has dropped off significantly. I'm not complaining that he's getting more assist, it's just, he should be generating more offence overall not just in the assist column. He's a an amongst boys in that league and should be scoring in almost every situation: shot, driving the net, outmuscling opponents, etc.

I haven't watched him play, however, and from every scouting report of people who have watched him have said great things. This is encouraging definitely as he's shown signs of offensive creativity setting up teammates and being more defensively sound. All that said, expectations for a 6th overall pick should be that he can do all those things aforementioned a produced as well at an elite offensive clip.

• Upvote 1

Hasn't seem to slow down Sam Bennett? If you're going to throw out the argument that Bennett got a summer of training, he is playing in his 1st games at the most critical point of the season and excelling. Just food for thought.

We've made up so many excuses for our prospects in the past, just take it how it is.

You're never going to see Bennett launch a guy into his bench. ;)

Even though it would be nice for him to be lighting it up, he brings alot of other aspects to his game than points.

Soft, skilled players who can put up lots points at this level are a dime a dozen. Guys that can physically dominate while putting up a point per game are not.

• Upvote 1

You're never going to see Bennett launch a guy into his bench. ;)

Even though it would be nice for him to be lighting it up, he brings alot of other aspects to his game than points.

Soft, skilled players who can put up lots points at this level are a dime a dozen. Guys that can physically dominate while putting up a point per game are not.

Bingo! Jake is a keeper