The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

I just got back from the game and here are my thoughts.

Anyone saying he was invisible tonight was a moron by far the most dominant player on either team.

Sam was not very effective this game, he was getting hit alot but did get a few chances.

However back to Virtanen, I will say this I am almost positive he is injured in some way. I have watched him in person now 6 times this year and this game he did seem different. He had alot of shifts that were only 25 seconds or so and did not seem as eager to get back on the ice. A couple times in the corner after the play it looked like he was trying to stretch somthing out and was labouring a bit maybe his back? But with all that being said yes off the score sheet but looked like a gem, does still need to work on his defence a bit.

• Upvote 1

Would be surprised if he is signed to a PTO but sees limited action. Even practicing with pro players may help him learn to be more consistent.

He's already signed his entry level contract. He got that out of the way when he was still seventeen, which could partially explain his average play this year, along with the off season shoulder surgery which prevented him from training properly in the summer, of course.

• Upvote 1

Most dominant player on either team that seemed "off" his game because he's probably injured in some way and needs to work on some stuff

Sounds legit and not rose-coloured at all

To be honest neither team played great everyone was missing passes left and right and falling away from the puck. It was a poor individual game for most players and a poor team game for both. So it was not difficult for him to be the most dominant player. But that being said something is off with him and he did not look like the same player I have seen the previous five times.

Most dominant player on either team that seemed "off" his game because he's probably injured in some way and needs to work on some stuff

Sounds legit and not rose-coloured at all

I agree with the "he might be injuried part" seems to be avoiding contact on purpose.

I also noticed he was often the last forward to enter the offensive zone and was for the most part above the harsh marks. Isnt your best player suppose to jump into the rush and create offence? Instead of play a "safe" game. Sure he may mess up every now and them but, isnt having a couple for goals to work with better than always being in a 1 goal game?

Edited by Gstank29

I agree with the "he might be injuried part" seems to be avoiding contact on purpose.

I also noticed he was often the last forward to enter the offensive zone and was for the most part above the harsh marks. Isnt your best player suppose to jump into the rush and create offence? Instead of play a "safe" game. Sure he may mess up every now and them but, isnt having a couple for goals to work with better than always being in a 1 goal game?

He absolutely was playing a safer game tonight than usual. Not taking the same chances that usually make him stand out more.

Uhhh...if you had been watching the Hitmen during the regular season, you would know that he's being told to hang back and use his speed to break up odd man rushes going the other way. This is not new and it's quite clearly not Jake's choice.

Calgary's systems are a mess and the coaching staff is using Jake to plug a hole. God forbid they actually teach sound hockey and a sensible defensive system instead. It's why people have said Calgary's coaching is to blame for Jake not looking great for months now. Even coming back from surgery he looked better before these systems changes.

• Upvote 1

Uhhh...if you had been watching the Hitmen during the regular season, you would know that he's being told to hang back and use his speed to break up odd man rushes going the other way. This is not new and it's quite clearly not Jake's choice.

Calgary's systems are a mess and the coaching staff is using Jake to plug a hole. God forbid they actually teach sound hockey and a sensible defensive system instead. It's why people have said Calgary's coaching is to blame for Jake not looking great for months now. Even coming back from surgery he looked better before these systems changes.

Not excatly sensible defence when he will be the guy lugging the puck into the zone, you have centres to help out defensively and there is no need to take your best player out of a position where he would thrive offensively so he could be a 3rd defenceman. Virtanen isn't going to make the NHL because of his defensive play, it's his offence that will get him a spot in the starting lineup, well being average/ a bit below average defensively. Also it's when you start trying to teach a player a new style of play when they are most likely to bust. Just look at what Boston has done with Pastrnak, they told him not to worry to much about defence and let him do his thing, 25 points in 40 games as a 18 year old.

Edited by Gstank29

So can we definitively say he has had a tough last couple weeks? Potentially due to nagging soreness/injury, and deployment as mostly a defensive stalwart. Almost like a third d man?

I honestly think he could be a really great D man, big, fast, physical, Rocket slapper,skates backwards really well. If you told me we drafted someone with Virtanens skill set as a D man I would be ecstatic haha.

Hope he gets in more or rhythm before the end of the series.

Not excatly sensible defence when he will be the guy lugging the puck into the zone, you have centres to help out defensively and there is no need to take your best player out of a position where he would thrive offensively so he could be a 3rd defenceman. Virtanen isn't going to make the NHL because of his defensive play, it's his offence that will get him a spot in the starting lineup, well being average/ a bit below average defensively. Also it's when you start trying to teach a player a new style of play when they are most likely to bust. Just look at what Boston has done with Pastrnak, they told him not to worry to much about defence and let him do his thing, 25 points in 40 games as a 18 year old.

Pastrnak is a an exception to the rule. He was lucky enough to step into Providence as one of the only high skill players, only one over a PPG, and was a team best +14. The guy has some great skill and has already played against men. Stoked for the B's because it's nice to see them get a good young offensive player, but I think it was a perfect storm for him to end where he has this season.

I don't see what more he can learn in the WHL next year, but if that's what the Canucks want him to do, so be it. There's more to being a pro prospect than just lighting up your undrafted junior peers while playing 30mins a game, but I can understand how some fans want to see that and build excitement. Just like Cody Hodgson. Future captain. All star. Bust. lul

One thing's for sure, Jake Virtanen's rise to NHL all star power forward will cause Rhys Jessop to cry.

Is this a joke?

Horvat is a guy that had nothing to learn in the CHL. Virtanen definitely is not. He needs to improve his consistency and defensive play.

• Upvote 1

Positives-

- had some chances in close

- made some passes, but players couldn't finish

Negatives

- missed the net

- missed receiving some easy passes

- didn't see him use his body much

- saw him lose the puck many times from poke checks

Overall.

-he was average, but he could be better. He is explosive but needs 2-3 years before the big leagues. No way I see him cracking the line up; unless he goes on a tear in the pre-season, which I don't see happening.

your such a troll not sure how your not banned virtanen is such a bust the he got a gold medal on team canada they obviously didnt think he was good enough to make a 23 man roster of the best players in junior lol he must have no talent. wow your so dumb

your such a troll not sure how your not banned virtanen is such a bust the he got a gold medal on team canada they obviously didnt think he was good enough to make a 23 man roster of the best players in junior lol he must have no talent. wow your so dumb

Dude I didn't even call him a bust. I said he is simply 2 or 3 years away from the big leagues. How does that make me a troll? Corey Perry took a similar path because power-forwards take longer to develop.

• Upvote 1

Dude I didn't even call him a bust. I said he is simply 2 or 3 years away from the big leagues. How does that make me a troll? Corey Perry took a similar path because power-forwards take longer to develop.

Pretty much. Another year in junior won't hurt. If he impresses enough at TC then give him a tryout and see what he does.

Gotta a lot of young guys heading to Utica next season and some knocking on that doorstep like Sven. Virtanen does not have great odds in his favor.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Talking to yourself again?

• Upvote 2

Watched the game and thought Virtanen had a decent game. Had chances. My eyes lit up when he made that one rush with a shot on net. No one could really stop him.

I find it curious that there is no talk with his line mates while on the bench. I did not see it once.

Not excatly sensible defence when he will be the guy lugging the puck into the zone, you have centres to help out defensively and there is no need to take your best player out of a position where he would thrive offensively so he could be a 3rd defenceman. Virtanen isn't going to make the NHL because of his defensive play,

Sounds like you're now agreeing with those of us who feel Jake is seriously misused by Calgary coaching staff. It's not hard to see why a dynamic forward would be bored and frustrated with being told to sit high on most plays.