The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Just now, Toews said:

Worrying about Virtanen's progression doesn't make one insecure. 

As far as who I will take in a playoff series, I will take the better player. Whether that is Nylander or Virtanen is still up for debate.

What progression? He is 19 and it's mid December. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Wasn't that his calling card, exceptional hockey IQ? Watching him in junior he seems to think the game very well, but I've only seen a game or two in the NHL.

I think you're right.  He has to be smart to make up for his other lacks.  I don't know if he's an elite player, or more of a complimentary one?  Do you think he can be part of a Cup winning core?

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think you're right.  He has to be smart to make up for his other lacks.  I don't know if he's an elite player, or more of a complimentary one?  Do you think he can be part of a Cup winning core?

Well hey he was a 2nd overall pick so yeah, he's a sure fire superstar and hall of famer.

simple logic really.

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

You want to talk about insecure posters?

OMG!!!

We are so screwed!!!!

Virtanen has no hockey IQ!!!

Virtanen is a career 3rd liner!!

Nylander has so much skillz!!! 

If I am in a 7 game series with LA, Anaheim, Winnipeg, or any team really. I'll take a 25 year old MAN like Virtanen on the 3rd line over a 25 year old GIRL like Nylander on the first line. 

This team is soft, we get pushed around in the playoffs. We need to start drafting more VIRTANEN so I can finally wear a championship T-shirt while I lay on my coach with a hangover, listening to Nascar on the tv with my eyes closed cause I can't find the god damn remote.  

I agree to some degree; but you need balance. Too much size and strength and not enough skill has you looking like Winnipeg.  Speed is essential and JB knows that.  He wants us to return to our relentless forecheck with speed and a little more size.  Be nice too see our team with more size and physical maturity.  It only takes 1 small guy to make all the impact in the world. Look at patty kane. (His streak ends tmrw :))

6 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I agree to some degree; but you need balance. Too much size and strength and not enough skill has you looking like Winnipeg.  Speed is essential and JB knows that.  He wants us to return to our relentless forecheck with speed and a little more size.  Be nice too see our team with more size and physical maturity.  It only takes 1 small guy to make all the impact in the world. Look at patty kane. (His streak ends tmrw :))

To be fair to Jets fans though.  They're skilled players are on the rise and there team will be more balanced moving forward.  Ehler and the other smaller more finesse players in their system are quickly developing.  They will prob balance out more in the near future.  Was mainly referring to last post seasons peg.  

All that sizeand grit; but not enough bite in offence.

Edited by Rush17

10 hours ago, LaBamba said:

You want to talk about insecure posters?

OMG!!!

We are so screwed!!!!

Virtanen has no hockey IQ!!!

Virtanen is a career 3rd liner!!

Nylander has so much skillz!!! 

If I am in a 7 game series with LA, Anaheim, Winnipeg, or any team really. I'll take a 25 year old MAN like Virtanen on the 3rd line over a 25 year old GIRL like Nylander on the first line. 

This team is soft, we get pushed around in the playoffs. We need to start drafting more VIRTANEN so I can finally wear a championship T-shirt while I lay on my coach with a hangover, listening to Nascar on the tv with my eyes closed cause I can't find the god damn remote.  

Chicago ring a bell?

16 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

No way he's on this team because of WD. You realize he's the coach right? I'm sure he has some say but at the end of the day benning has the say in roster movements.  They promised the fans that change was coming. This was it. Not because he's ready or he's worked his butt off. It's the nhl. Do you think shinkaruk worked any less hard? He's was gifted a spot due to hockey politics.  Similar to why corrado is playing tonight.  

More along the lines that Virtanen had size and was willing to use it. If Mathias had used his size Virtanen would probably be with the Hitmen. Fans appear to be looking for a 1st line scorer out of this kid. I will be happy if he is a 40 - 45 point man who consistently plays a physical game.

IMHO no one is ever 'gifted' a NHL roster spot. It is all about assessing players and building rosters that are serious CUP contenders. If Virtanen was 20 he would have been in Utica but as a underager they had to choose between the Hitman and Vancouver and I think they made the right decision for his development.

18 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Craig Button was right about Jake IMO

There seems to be some people putting allot of weight into ONE prediction by ONE dude, which was made in February - 4 months before the actual draft. 

PICK NHL TEAM PLAYER POSITION 2013-14 TEAM
1 nhl-panthers.pngFLA Aaron Ekblad D Barrie (OHL)
2 nhl-sabres.pngBUF Sam Bennett C Kingston (OHL)
3 nhl-oilers.pngEDM Leon Draisaitl C Prince Albert (WHL)
4 nhl-flames.pngCGY Sam Reinhart C Kootenay (OHL)
5 nhl-islanders.pngNYI Michael Dal Colle LW Oshawa (OHL)
6 nhl-Canucks.pngVAN Jake Virtanen RW Calgary (WHL)
7 nhl-hurricanes.pngCAR Haydn Fleury D Red Deer (WHL)
8 nhl-mapleleafs.pngTOR Nick Ritchie LW Peterborough (OHL)
9 nhl-jets.pngWPG Nikolaj Ehlers LW Halifax (QMJHL)
10 nhl-ducks.pngANA* Kasperi Kapanen LW/RW KalPa (FIN)
11 nhl-predators.pngNAS William Nylander LW Modo (SWE)
12 nhl-coyotes.pngARZ Brendan Perlini LW Niagara (OHL)
13 nhl-capitals.pngWAS Julius Honka D Swift Current (WHL)
14 nhl-stars.pngDAL Dylan Larkin C USNTDP
15 nhl-redwings.pngDET Jared McCann C Sault Ste. Ma

That is Button's prediction on  the week of the draft. Virtanen at #6, but he also has Nylander "Sliding" right out of the top 10 to 11th overall. 

http://www2.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=121032

Both the above comments makes sense to me. Both allude to the Craig Button's well-known assessment. He predicted the Canucks would take Virtanen at #6 but he thought it was a mistake as he thought Virtanen belonged in the second round on the grounds that we basically a "Raffi Torres" -- a tough guy who makes some big hits and skates well, but who lacks the "hockey IQ" (or doesn't "process the game" well enough) to be legitmate top 6 forward

http://www.jacketscannon.com/2014/5/12/5711980/2014-draft-prospect-profile-8

"Jake has undeniable skill. Excellent skater who has speed, quickness and power. Can beat defenders with his skating and when he gets an advantage, his size makes it almost impossible for a defender to get back on equal footing. Very strong shot and can beat goaltenders from out but also has the quickness in his hands to score in tight. Has the potential to be a dynamic scoring winger." -  --Craig Button -- TSN Director of Scouting

“Jake is a great skater with a great shot and when he bears in on defenders, they are on their heels. He has an edge to his game and could be that ‘grand slam’ player all teams would love to get.” – TSN’s Craig Button (Jan. 23, 2014)

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/m_news.htm?id=722849

Edited by Canorth
Sources
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Ahh more potential talk eh I see how it is.  Yeah JV sure has showed a lot of offensive potential.  Totally. 

I heard on TSN 1050 this morning that WDs younger brother (Alex) is doing really well in the OHL, and considered more elite than his older brother.  It was on an anylitics show from TO.  He has 21 goals and 27 assists so far.  It's his draft year too, so maybe the Canucks might still get a Nylander?