The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

8 minutes ago, Canorth said:

If you say so, I didn't look close enough.  It was pretty funny though. 

How the hell is some moron pissing on himself funny?  do you think it's funny when Virtanen is about to hit Gudreau, and Gudreau pisses his pants out of fear?  Okay, I guess that is kind of funny.:lol:

Seems like being the local kid picked at #6 is getting to him. Couple with the fact that JV admitted himself that Higgins' injury at the start of the season was one of the reasons he made the team. Then you've got Willie D rotating him in and out of games and slotting him up and down the lineup. 

Give the kid a little stability and structure, like Horvat and McCann have gotten and maybe he'll stop playing so gun-shy. 

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

It's hard to compete when you don't know what the hell you are doing out there.  He floats around, doesn't go to the net, he's afraid to get the puck because he doesn't want to screw up, sure he gets a big hit once in awhile but that's only because that's his special gift.  If he had elite speed, strength AND compete he wouldn't be struggling as much as he is.  5 points in 30 pro games thus far,  one third of those games being of the AHL variety as well.   He wants to compete, but he just isn't ready.

I suppose I need to lower my expectations, but man it's quite disappointing.  As of right now it looks like I will be watching Jake as a bottom 6 grinder for the next 10 years

You probably said similar things about Kesler. 

Edited by messier's_elbow

Jake Virtanen

Sean Monahan

Hampus Lindholm

Mika Zibanejad

Brett Connolly

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Nikita Filatov

Sam Gagner

Derick Brassard

Gilbert Brule

Al Montoya

Milan Michalek

Scott Upshall

Mikko Koivu

Scott Hartnell

Brian Finley

Rico Fata

Daniel Tkaczuk

Boyd Devereaux

Steve Kelly

Ryan Smyth

Viktor Kozlov

Cory Stillman

Peter Forsberg

Scott Scissons

Adam Bennett

Scott Pearson

Dave Archibald

Vincent Damphousse

Brad Dalgarno

Craig Redmond

Here's the history of the 6th overall pick in the NHL draft.  Of this group of 'world beaters' the majority hardly played an entire season in the NHL.  Take Forsberg or Damphouse off the list it looks even grimer.   As you can see, #6 isn't a 'shoe in' to make an impact in the NHL (or even have a lasting career).

Most of the players that went on to have decent careers had slow starts (stats wise).  It also looks like the diffence between the guys that had careers and the guys that 'busted' is determination, character and a passion for the game.  I think Jake fits into this catagory.  Jake is also at least a year younger that many of these players when they started in the NHL.

Best not to make rash judgments this early in Jake's career.  If he turns out to be a Hartnell or Smyth, I'll be thrilled.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Edlerberry said:

ya lol i love how he chose a family relation that includes the potential of it being himself

That doesn't makes any sense. Please consider retaking english 8.

Also the 5th line can never get it right so what the point of trying to argue it. It just shows the lack of effort he puts into trying to insult someone because reasoning isn't his strong suit

Edited by Gstank29

Thanks to higgyfan for going to the effort of getting the list of #6 overall picks. In fact, there are a lot of good players on the list. And as scouting has become more consistent and more scientific around the league there is less variance. So nowadays we might not expect stars like Forsberg at #6 but we should expect quality players, as has been true of most picks in the past 15 years or so. 

I hope Virtanen can reach the level of recent picks like Monahan, Lindholm, and Ekman-Larsson. Even guys like Brassard and Gagner and Zibanejad are solid players. And there are plenty of stars on the list and not many busts.

Bottom line: If a team is not getting a quality NHL player at the #6 overall spot then it is not drafting well.

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

Thanks to higgyfan for going to the effort of getting the list of #6 overall picks. In fact, there are a lot of good players on the list. And as scouting has become more consistent and more scientific around the league there is less variance. So nowadays we might not expect stars like Forsberg at #6 but we should expect quality players, as has been true of most picks in the past 15 years or so. 

I hope Virtanen can reach the level of recent picks like Monahan, Lindholm, and Ekman-Larsson. Even guys like Brassard and Gagner and Zibanejad are solid players. And there are plenty of stars on the list and not many busts.

Bottom line: If a team is not getting a quality NHL player at the #6 overall spot then it is not drafting well.

The point was that not all 6th overalls become world-beating superstars. We'd be far from the first or the last team to draft just a "quality" player at 6.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

The point was that not all 6th overalls become world-beating superstars. We'd be far from the first or the last team to draft just a "quality" player at 6.

I agree that we should not expect superstars at #6 overall and we should be happy if Virtanen develops into a quality NHL player. My personal view is that if he can be a solid 2nd line winger who provides speed and toughness and scores at the rate of .5 PPG by the time he is 23  or so we should be happy.

If he only becomes a bottom 6 banger then we would legitimately be disappointed. We should not be wasting top-10 picks on bottom 6 bangers as they can be picked up relatively easily as free agents or in trade for low draft picks.

Obviously the jury is still out but I personally have been disappointed to see Jake slotted into the bottom 6 banger role. It would be much better to see the skill level that McCann and Horvat demonstrated at the same age. And of course there is the comparison with the guys the Canucks could have picked -- Ehlers, who has 12 pts for Winnipeg this year and is +2, or Nylander, who is on fire in the AHL (leading the lead in scoring). It is early but right now Virtanen needs to do some catching up.