The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

My biggest issue with Jake is how he's been used with the Canucks. I'm all for having young players on the roster but I believe they must play in roles relative to those you see for them in the future. He's been neutered offensively by Willie D. I think he has to go back to Calgary after this competition and find his swagger. This is why I am fine with McCann staying right now. By default he's being played in a top 6 role with Daniel. This can only help his progression. Were he playing with saddlebags full of lead (Higgins) I'd say no chance ... send him. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Knucklehd said:

He has certainly seemed to get a little fiestier as the game progresses, which is a key to his game.

A little bit sure.  but he hasn't looked anything like he did last year even.  He went from zero energy to maybe 3-4/10.  He hasn't been engaged nearly enough.  Oh wells. Games over... another one bites the dust.  If virt wasnt lent to canada i wouldn't be surprised if he wasnt discussed as a possible cut.  He's really played that poorly.  But because he was loaned and has a better game then hes showing I bet he will stick around.  

1 minute ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

My biggest issue with Jake is how he's been used with the Canucks. I'm all for having young players on the roster but I believe they must play in roles relative to those you see for them in the future. He's been neutered offensively by Willie D. I think he has to go back to Calgary after this competition and find his swagger. This is why I am fine with McCann staying right now. By default he's being played in a top 6 role with Daniel. This can only help his progression. Were he playing with saddlebags full of lead (Higgins) I'd say no chance ... send him. 

Virt was never put in the 4 rth line, it's either 2nd or 3rd, he wasn't ready when he came up, or otherwise McCann's production would also be nothing even though he was at the 4 rth line half this games.

10 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Virt was never put in the 4 rth line, it's either 2nd or 3rd, he wasn't ready when he came up, or otherwise McCann's production would also be nothing even though he was at the 4 rth line half this games.

Virt will get his chance. when he is ready... after all he did make the team in his first year! 

So disappointed and agree with most comments on here.  As I watched him today, unfortunately he reminded me too much of Kassian.  Wasn't skating, wasn't hitting, [his strengths], wasn't 'engaging', and wasn't hustling.  Since we have drafted him he has digressed.

I listened to Bob M after the game and he had Jake 11th on the team depth chart.  As an overall 6th pick and + 2 years since his draft he should be one of the dominate players out there.  I have patience and still think he has good upside but his play today, lack of production on the Canucks & Utica [last playoffs] has me very concerned.  Was he a bad pick or are we not developing him properly?

• Upvote 2

If virt doesn't take off offensively this team is going to be challenged to get a bronze medal let alone a gold.  This team looked really flat.  I know point and perlini were out 2 of their better players in yesterdays game but virtanen needs to be a factor if this team wants to succeed. Team USA is going to wrekt Canada if they don't step it up.

Might be the Boeser show come boxing day.  Hopefully Jake can step up.  That was painful to watch.

Edited by Rush17

1 hour ago, Rush17 said:

If virt doesn't take off offensively this team is going to be challenged to get a bronze medal let alone a gold.  This team looked really flat.  I know point and perlini were out 2 of their better players in yesterdays game but virtanen needs to be a factor if this team wants to succeed. Team USA is going to wrekt Canada if they don't step it up.

Might be the Boeser show come boxing day.  Hopefully Jake can step up.  That was painful to watch.

I agree. We have so few returnees and we need them to lead by example. Virtanen's needs to start contributing more offensively or this team won't go very far. 

It is silly to overanalyze pre-tournament games but but it doesn't look good this year. I expect more from guys like Marner and Strome but it just hasn't been there. At this point I am not sure where the goals will come from. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

I'm half way though the game and I dont see where all the hate is coming from. If you expect Virtanen to be a hignend skill guy then you need to reconsider how you view him.

Then what is the expectation for a 6th overall pick? A guy who can skate in a straight line really fast?

• Upvote 3