The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

50 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think that would be disappointing considering where he was drafted. 

here are the 6th overall picks since 1990

I would take a Chris Kreider over half of these guys. 6th overall does not guarantee an NHL All-Star. If Jake becomes a phyiscal 2nd or 3rd line winger; that seems about right compared to other picks.

2013 Sean Monahan C Ottawa (OHL) Calgary Flames
2012 Hampus Lindholm D Rogle (Swe) Anaheim Ducks
2011 Mika Zibanejad C Djurgardens IF (Swe) Ottawa Senators
2010 Brett Connolly RW Prince George (WHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2009 Oliver Ekman-Larsson D Leksand (Swe) Phoenix Coyotes
2008 Nikita Filatov LW Moscow CSKA-2 Columbus Blue Jackets
2007 Sam Gagner RW London (OHL) Edmonton Oilers
2006 Derick Brassard C Drummondville (QMJHL) Columbus Blue Jackets
2005 Gilbert Brule C Vancouver Giants (WHL) Columbus Blue Jackets
2004 Al Montoya G U. of Michigan (NCAA) New York Rangers
2003 Milan Michalek LW/RW Ceske Budejovice HC (Czech) San Jose Sharks
2002 Scott Upshall LW/RW Kamloops Blazers (WHL) Nashville Predators
2001 Mikko Koivu C TPS Turku (FNL) Minnesota Wild
2000 Scott Hartnell C Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Nashville Predators
1999 Brian Finley G Barrie Colts (OHL) Nashville Predators
1998 Rico Fata RW London Knights (OHL) Calgary Flames
1997 Daniel Tkaczuk C Barrie Colts (OHL) Calgary Flames
1996 Boyd Devereaux C Kitchener Rangers (OHL) Edmonton Oilers
1995 Steve Kelly LW Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) Edmonton Oilers
1994 Ryan Smyth LW Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL) Edmonton Oilers
1993 Viktor Kozlov C Moscow Dynamo (Russia) San Jose Sharks
1992 Cory Stillman C Windsor Spitfires (OHL) Calgary Flames
1991 Peter Forsberg C Modo Hockey Ornskoldsvik (SEL) Philadelphia Flyers
1990 Scott Scissons
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...well actually what you bolded can be taken so many ways...I don't believe I will feeling any heat at all.

...kinda cold this time of year anyway so a little heat would help...

Well I meant like you expect Jake to be effective in the PP or effective overall in the tournament and if you're wrong, some one might go back to your post, quote you and say how wrong you were, yada yada... get it?

2 hours ago, Blueberries said:

Im sure 98% of everyone here wants Jake to succeed, but they can't help but not ignore Jake's lack of production for a guy who has more talent than everyone on the Nucks not named Sedin. It's brutally obvious that he seriously lacks hockey IQ, which will be on display at the WJ. 

Well if the exhibition games are any indication, it's more likely he'll be an important part of the team.

I also don't see how it's "brutally obvious". I don't even see him lacking hockey IQ. I see him as someone learning the game, just like any other prospect/rookie.

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Apparently Jake is a complete Neanderthal with a T-Rex pea-brain.  BREW-TALL!

CDC: Where plausible concerns get dismissed with primary school humour.

Can't wait till after the World Juniors.

What'll the excuse be? Injured? Taking it easy? Learning the game? (despite being with a bunch of other prospects).

What's fun about this thread is that I can go MIA and still rest assured that I don't have to do much talking because Jake will be doing it for me. 

oyjb1pd.gif

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I find it funny how the anti-JV crowd is so confident they think it's reasonable to speak in absolutes when calling him a bust but anybody who shows any sort of optimism "has their head up their arse" or "can't know that for sure"

*Or patience...

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

so what your saying is that he won't live up to the expectations of a top 10 pick. in some ways. I think it was worse for Jake to be drafted in Vancouver. might fall to the enormous pressure in this city. his brutal IQ is only going to be questioned over and over and over again. maybe he will just be a glorified version of Raffi Torres without all the shaninigans. hope not. hope Jake becomes a hard hitting, 30 goal scorer in this league. 

I never said he won't live up to expectations. Pressure is a lame excuse, he wants to play in Vancouver so he will have to deal with pressure.

3 hours ago, RonMexico said:

When you use a small sample size, you are bound to jump to poor conclusions.

Not poor. Not even close. Hopefully you will see in the WJ. I'll say one thing just look at his offensive positioning in WJ.

51 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well if the exhibition games are any indication, it's more likely he'll be an important part of the team.

I also don't see how it's "brutally obvious". I don't even see him lacking hockey IQ. I see him as someone learning the game, just like any other prospect/rookie.

Okay look at Jared & Bo. They make mistakes sure, but they always position themselves in the right spot. Turnovers are fine if you are a rookie, but costing the team scoring chances because you can't go to the right spot aren't okay.

Jake sometimes while in the offensive zone stands right beside another player. I remember last year @ the WJ, I think it was McDavid who had the puck in the offensive zone and where was Jake? Right behind(less than 1 foot) Lazar.

You can teach a guy how to deke,  shoot, pass, defend etc... But you can't teach hockey IQ. You have it or don't. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

*Or patience...

That's the Key word here.... Some of the guys saying he's a bad pick at  # 6 are jumping the gun big time. If he turns into Krieder 2.0 and there is still complaining then you guys will never be happy. 

I wanted Nylander at the time but we needed some physical players and the only way to get a guy like Jake is to draft them or get very lucky I.E. The Linden/Bertuzzi deal. 

1 hour ago, Blueberries said:

I never said he won't live up to expectations. Pressure is a lame excuse, he wants to play in Vancouver so he will have to deal with pressure.

Not poor. Not even close. Hopefully you will see in the WJ. I'll say one thing just look at his offensive positioning in WJ.

Okay look at Jared & Bo. They make mistakes sure, but they always position themselves in the right spot. Turnovers are fine if you are a rookie, but costing the team scoring chances because you can't go to the right spot aren't okay.

Jake sometimes while in the offensive zone stands right beside another player. I remember last year @ the WJ, I think it was McDavid who had the puck in the offensive zone and where was Jake? Right behind(less than 1 foot) Lazar.

You can teach a guy how to deke,  shoot, pass, defend etc... But you can't teach hockey IQ. You have it or don't. 

Your right about his positioning needs work but your way to hard on the guy. Seriously.