The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

#Canucks prospect Jake Virtanen extended his point streak to three games with a goal tonight. Now has 10 points (3-7-10) in 10 games.

That's his first goal since his 2-goal night on his second game of the year, so it has been a while. Like I said during the Super Series, hopefully his goal-scoring heats up coming off the good performance(s).

That's his first goal since his 2-goal night on his second game of the year, so it has been a while. Like I said during the Super Series, hopefully his goal-scoring heats up coming off the good performance(s).

Im not too worried, this kids a stud. His speed and shot are scary. Plus hes gritty. Too bad Mcdavid is probably out of the world juniors now. I wanted to see them potentially play on the first line.

Like the other guy said, there's more to his game than scoring. And don't forget his assists. That apparently means he has some hockey IQ now. Lol.

What do you guys think is a successful draft year +1 for Virtanen overall.

What are your expectations for him in points?

Personally, I want him to have a really good year production wise. I really think that once he gets his groove, he'll end the year with 1.4 to 1.5 PPG. On top of that, I really think its important he has a very strong WJC. The World Juniors is such a big stage and if you can step up as a pressure player it really says a lot about a player going forward.

1) Have a strong showing at the WJC for Team Canada

2) Build on last year's success in the WHL

Anything above PPG and close to his goal totals from last year would be good. Normally the expectation would be that he goes well above PPG and last year's goal totals but given his surgery, I've tampered those lofty expectations down a bit.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I want him to have a really good year production wise. I really think that once he gets his groove, he'll end the year with 1.4 to 1.5 PPG. On top of that, I really think its important he has a very strong WJC. The World Juniors is such a big stage and if you can step up as a pressure player it really says a lot about a player going forward.

I know I've ragged on him a lot and said that we should have drafted someone else, but we're stuck with Virtanen and I can accept that.

I sincerely hope that he can score at least something like 80 points in 60 games which is around a 1.4 point pace, but 1.5 or higher would be ideal. I'm not too fussed about the goal:assist discrepancy either, as long as points are going up he's contributing offence and the fact that he can pile up assists is a good sign of versatility.

Good players show their stuff at the World Juniors so I hope he can at least be noticeable if he doesn't contribute to the scoreboard each night.

I know I've ragged on him a lot and said that we should have drafted someone else, but we're stuck with Virtanen and I can accept that.

We're not "stuck with" anyone.

You say that like you already know what each players ceiling will be.

Everyone complains that we can't compete with LA, but then want us to draft Ehlers or Nylander? That doesn't add up.

• Upvote 1

Haha true. I hate when people say right handed players need to play right wing and vice versa. Play makers definitely, but shooters should play off wing imo.

Either way can't wait to see Virtanen next season, I think he could surprise and probably get his 9 games. If his compete level and defensive game are good enough he could probably stick too.

Not sure what we're going to do next season, we have Horvat, Vey and Jensen who will be on the team. Then Gaunce, Virtanen and Shink all have a very good chance of making it....

Talk about youth movement. Can't remember last time we had this many good prospects who could make the team at the same time.

It really doesn't matter for scorers what side because if a lefty is on the left side coming down the wall he has the advantage of being able to take a quick shot as well, I think slower people should play on their off wing because its better shooting area but fast people like Jake should play right side because their speed can create opportunities and he can get quick shots off on the rush

It really doesn't matter for scorers what side because if a lefty is on the left side coming down the wall he has the advantage of being able to take a quick shot as well, I think slower people should play on their off wing because its better shooting area but fast people like Jake should play right side because their speed can create opportunities and he can get quick shots off on the rush

True, but it's still a terrible shooting angle if you're a lefty coming down the left side.

True, but it's still a terrible shooting angle if you're a lefty coming down the left side.

Unless you got a mean slap shot coming down the wing - but that's a lost art in today's league.

Honestly not many guys score like that anymore, and it saddens me.

Unless you got a mean slap shot coming down the wing - but that's a lost art in today's league.

Honestly not many guys score like that anymore, and it saddens me.

I think it's just that goalies don't let in those shots anymore. At least nowhere near as often. Says more about the goalies than it does about the shooters.

• Upvote 2

I think it's just that goalies don't let in those shots anymore. At least nowhere near as often. Says more about the goalies than it does about the shooters.

Cody had it.

I think players have to be much more accurate these days, as you say. It's probably why players don't try them as much since they can be much more accurate with wristers.

Cody didn't try them often either - but when he did, there was a sense that he could score. I don't get that feeling with Burrows or Daniel who do it more to get a rebound (like 99% of NHLers taking slap shots from the wing).

Anyway, not trying to turn this into another Cody thread. I don't miss him at all - just that slap shot down the wing because it is a fetish of mine :P

• Upvote 1

Cody had it.

I think players have to be much more accurate these days, as you say. It's probably why players don't try them as much since they can be much more accurate with wristers.

Cody didn't try them often either - but when he did, there was a sense that he could score. I don't get that feeling with Burrows or Daniel who do it more to get a rebound (like 99% of NHLers taking slap shots from the wing).

Anyway, not trying to turn this into another Cody thread. I don't miss him at all - just that slap shot down the wing because it is a fetish of mine :P

I still remember that goal in Boston to this day. It's in my YouTube favourites and I go back to it every now and then. The whole sequence of 1) Cody takes the shot. 2) The loud "ping" as it hits the crossbar. 3) Everyone gasps. 4) Silence... is magical.

To turn this back into Jake Virtanen Talk, Jake definitely has the skills to score these types of goals.

- the speed to come flying down the wing and create space

- the hard slapshot

- the accuracy

It's just a matter of putting those together... which, admittedly, is difficult but it's still possible.

That being said, I think I'd prefer it if he played as a LW full-time, though it's not really a huge deal.

I still remember that goal in Boston to this day. It's in my YouTube favourites and I go back to it every now and then. The whole sequence of 1) Cody takes the shot. 2) The loud "ping" as it hits the crossbar. 3) Everyone gasps. 4) Silence... is magical.

To turn this back into Jake Virtanen Talk, Jake definitely has the skills to score these types of goals.

- the speed to come flying down the wing and create space

- the hard slapshot

- the accuracy

It's just a matter of putting those together... which, admittedly, is difficult but it's still possible.

That being said, I think I'd prefer it if he played as a LW full-time, though it's not really a huge deal.

Yeah I mean Stamkos and Ovie have a better slap shot than Cody (as do many others), but it's a different skillset to shoot it hard like Cody does coming down the wing than taking one-timers. Even if Jake has a hard and accurate slap shot, it'll be tough to learn how to shoot it that hard and accurate as he skates down the wing.

On the offensive end, I definitely prefer Jake as a LW as well, just like I prefer Jensen on RW. We'll have to see how he transitions at the pro level defensively as a LW. If he's not bad, I think it would be better to keep him there, but if he's atrocious defensively, RW it is. Not a huge deal, as you say, which wing he plays.

The WHL boxscore is actually tracking shots for the players in this Hitmen v. Blades game. 4-1 Hitmen victory.

Virtanen with 4 shots and 6 PIM.

1 - CAL J. Virtanen, 12:47 - Roughing, 2 min
2 - CAL J. Virtanen, 14:21 - Roughing, 2 min (PP)
3 - CAL J. Virtanen, 14:26 - Checking to the Head, (48.2) 2 min (PP)

Edited by Canucks1219

With the late start and the surgery, anything over a ppg is alright, more would be nice but would be a bonus.

What would make a successful draft year +1 in my mind would be for him to improve his consistency and defensive play.

No points on the night, but 5 shots and 6 PIMs means he was definitely involved in this game.

Roughing calls are usually pretty weak in junior, so I wouldn't worry about those too much.

I listened to the radio broadcast (from the end of the 2nd) and he was involved. It wasn't all positive but his name was mentioned a number of times in the third. He threw some big hits -- one of which was the check to the head -- had some shots blocked, and had a chance with about 10 seconds left in the game but missed the net. There was one shift where it seemed his line got stuck in their own end for a little bit. He took his final penalty at a pretty bad time up only by 1 goal and with 5 minutes left in the game. Thankfully, nothing happened on that Blades powerplay.

either he breaks out or he goes to the farm for a year or two to develop. Right now his numbers in the whl are not as impressive.

We should expect that route for all of our prospects.

That's the normal route. It's alot less likely players step straight into the NHL from junior.