The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

To me that means they should be together.

Shinkaruk, Horvat, Virtanen.

Speed, Size, Shot. Two options for the shot and defensively responsible up the middle.

I personally think Virtanen plays LW in the NHL. Virtanen and Jensen would look pretty sick on Horvat's wing. Although it's not impossible for him to be played on either wing. Still really young.

Virtanen was not on the 1st PP. Not on the ice at the close of the game when the WHL needed a goal.

On the subject of the powerplay, it seemed that they weren't sent out in typical units. I noticed that the vast majority of the time, 5-on-5 lines would spend time with each other on the powerplay. The first unit = the first line. It was Reinhart out with Klimchuk and Chase as the first line + PP unit. To be fair, the team had literally ONE morning skate to get to know one another. That being said, I was surprised that one of their best players didn't get more of a shot on the top unit.

I personally think Virtanen plays LW in the NHL. Virtanen and Jensen would look pretty sick on Horvat's wing. Although it's not impossible for him to be played on either wing. Still really young.

Not that this means a whole lot as of right now, but Virtanen played much better when he was back on LW, with Quenneville at C, and Hawryluk at RW.

As for the suggested line, I might prefer McCann/Cassels to take that centre position over Horvat for a few reasons. 1) Horvat is no slouch but the other two are, in my opinion, better playmakers. Those are snipers playing on off-wings so I would want someone who's really going to be able to put the puck on their stick in the perfect spot. 2) Horvat has shown he can keep up in the NHL but, let's not kid ourselves, he's not fast. An issue during the Super Series was that Virtanen was a little too fast for the centre that he got (Quenneville). I think that line needs someone who can keep up with that speed at all times.

Edited by Canucks1219
  • Upvote 1

Left wing, depends on team needs, hopefully he can play both effectively

Thinking about it more, Virtanen seems like the perfect winger for McDavid. Speed to keep up, loves to shoot, will destroy anyone who wants to fight him. If that happens at the WJC, Virtanen could put in 5+ goals

Edited by Derp...

He also plays better on the left side and drives to the net more....

He also got knocked on his ass by a crap defenseman.

I think it's fairly obvious that a right-shooting winger generally plays on the left side. You'll see more euros switching it up, yes, but the old NHL tried and true way is for the right-shooting guy to play on the right side. However, Virtanen is going to be all over the place because of his blinding speed, so it's of little regard.

Edited by BanTSN

He also got knocked on his ass by a crap defenseman.

I think it's fairly obvious that a right-shooting winger generally plays on the left side. You'll see more euros switching it up, yes, but the old NHL tried and true way is for the right-shooting guy to play on the right side. However, Virtanen is going to be all over the place because of his blinding speed, so it's of little regard.

Haha true. I hate when people say right handed players need to play right wing and vice versa. Play makers definitely, but shooters should play off wing imo.

Either way can't wait to see Virtanen next season, I think he could surprise and probably get his 9 games. If his compete level and defensive game are good enough he could probably stick too.

Not sure what we're going to do next season, we have Horvat, Vey and Jensen who will be on the team. Then Gaunce, Virtanen and Shink all have a very good chance of making it....

Talk about youth movement. Can't remember last time we had this many good prospects who could make the team at the same time.