The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

I would spend to the cap. I would overpay for two players that I thought could fetch the most at the deadline

. That way we are building our future and having a decent team this year. we could end up with as much as four extra picks next year.

I would spend to the cap. I would overpay for two players that I thought could fetch the most at the deadline

. That way we are building our future and having a decent team this year. we could end up with as much as four extra picks next year.

Like your 'out of the box' thinking.

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

Who gets bumped?

Even with this lineup we have either Hansen or Matthias on the fourth line and decent call-ups like Fox and Gaunce available next year.

We have the cap space to sign Moulson or Iginla on a short-term deal. If we go we go big.

I believe the Canucks should not make any splash at unrestricted free agency. This team is no where close to being a contender. The Canucks should let the young players develop and when the time comes, use the extra cap space to put us over the top. Just because we have cap space does not mean it is the right time to use it.

Iggy for 2 years, Niskanen for 5!

Not opposed to Stastny.

Not opposed to Boyle, but 1 year and why would he take it?

Man I want Iginla.

Mason Raymond.

LOL, at $900K I would sign MayRay in a heartbeat...

I also want, think we should get, Kulemin. Speed, size, can score goals, good defensively!

I think matt moulson at around 3mil works out quite well for second line LW

Good luck with that!

I really hope they don't overpay for anyone. Just because you have the cash, doesn't mean you need to spend it.

I'd rather see a youth movement and another top 10 pick next year.

You pay a little extra when you're looking to make that final push, not start the process.

If Vancouver continues to draft well and develop properly, then in 3-5 years you can go all-in on a free agent or two to make a run.

Agreed.

There are some good players that could be role players, but we don't need to bring in multiple older players to take a roster spot from the youth we need to intigrate.

Mediocrity is the worst place to be, especially for a team like ours that isn't all that great on the NHL roster and lacks an elite prospect in the pipeline.

Agreed.

There are some good players that could be role players, but we don't need to bring in multiple older players to take a roster spot from the youth we need to intigrate.

Mediocrity is the worst place to be, especially for a team like ours that isn't all that great on the NHL roster and lacks an elite prospect in the pipeline.

I would rather sign one legitimate top 6 forward if the term is short.

It helps build a 2nd line that we can bring up a young player in and help him elevate his game. A player like Kassian.

Play Burrows on the 3rd line where he can be reliable defensively and play with Vey.

Jensen can continue to grow with the Twins.

What this does is give us depth while bringing young guys. It keeps us competitive and continues the youth movement.

A winning environment is how you develop younger players. We can move up in the draft or trade for a top 10 pick, it is not like we haven't before.

I would rather sign one legitimate top 6 forward if the term is short.

It helps build a 2nd line that we can bring up a young player in and help him elevate his game. A player like Kassian.

Play Burrows on the 3rd line where he can be reliable defensively and play with Vey.

Jensen can continue to grow with the Twins.

What this does is give us depth while bringing young guys. It keeps us competitive and continues the youth movement.

A winning environment is how you develop younger players. We can move up in the draft or trade for a top 10 pick, it is not like we haven't before.

I still think Burrows can be a top 6 forward, so we don't need to bring one in, also I think Linden Vey is much better suited on the wing & with his passing skill could play well on the 2nd line.

Its actually an interesting thought, Burrows & Vey on the same line with Bonino, then have Kassian on the first line, Higgins on the third with either Horvat or a vet like Matthias (or bring Santorelli back) in the middle, then Hansen/Jensen on the right side.

As it stands now, Horvat & Jensen might not even have spots on the roster, I wouldn't want to bring in a Vet and take yet another spot away from a young guy, like say Linden Vey. Not to mention that we would likely have to overpay in both salary & term for a worthwhile player, meaning they are now apart of our future plans, and taking opportunity away from our young players further into the future aswell.

Sometimes you just have to look to what you have in the system, and I think this is the time to do it.

And hey, if it doesn't work, we can add that future #1C or #1D that we need in the system.

I still think Burrows can be a top 6 forward, so we don't need to bring one in, also I think Linden Vey is much better suited on the wing & with his passing skill could play well on the 2nd line.

Its actually an interesting thought, Burrows & Vey on the same line with Bonino, then have Kassian on the first line, Higgins on the third with either Horvat or a vet like Matthias (or bring Santorelli back) in the middle, then Hansen/Jensen on the right side.

As it stands now, Horvat & Jensen might not even have spots on the roster, I wouldn't want to bring in a Vet and take yet another spot away from a young guy, like say Linden Vey. Not to mention that we would likely have to overpay in both salary & term for a worthwhile player, meaning they are now apart of our future plans, and taking opportunity away from our young players further into the future aswell.

Sometimes you just have to look to what you have in the system, and I think this is the time to do it.

And hey, if it doesn't work, we can add that future #1C or #1D that we need in the system.

Benning wouldn't go after Miller if he wanted to rebuild. Benning wants to make the playoffs and signing a top 6 forward and Miller is going to help with that.

Horvat will develop better in the CHL getting top minutes and dominating. We can to take our time with him, it will be worth it.

Jensen has developed well with the Twins and Kassian has developed well without them, let us continue that progress but now having Kassian on the 2nd line.

Vey is NHL ready but hasn't proved anything in the NHL yet he is better suited on the 3rd line. Burrows is a 2nd liner but having him on the 3rd line gives us depth and gives Vey a solid linemate.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Corrado and Fox can all be called up.

We are getting younger and staying competitive. If we want a top pick we will have to trade for it and we have before. there is no point in tanking.

Benning wouldn't go after Miller if he wanted to rebuild. Benning wants to make the playoffs and signing a top 6 forward and Miller is going to help with that.

Horvat will develop better in the CHL getting top minutes and dominating. We can to take our time with him, it will be worth it.

Jensen has developed well with the Twins and Kassian has developed well without them, let us continue that progress but now having Kassian on the 2nd line.

Vey is NHL ready but hasn't proved anything in the NHL yet he is better suited on the 3rd line. Burrows is a 2nd liner but having him on the 3rd line gives us depth and gives Vey a solid linemate.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Corrado and Fox can all be called up.

We are getting younger and staying competitive. If we want a top pick we will have to trade for it and we have before. there is no point in tanking.

I don't see what getting bounced in the first round and getting a pick in the 16-20 range will really do for the future of this franchise, I know I would rather see a cup in 5-10 years than a first round exit next year.

Some have suggested breaking the Twins up onto the 1st & 2nd lines. I have argued this idea for many years. It puts superior puck handlers on two lines. Van has to find some way of transitioning this team to a post Sedin era. Re-unite them for the PP. Younger players like Jensen, Kassian and Vey could really benefit.

The forwards will take care of themselves.

The biggest problem with the Canucks last year was the defense.

They couldn't move the puck, they were always scrambling in their own end which resulted in not making the first pass, which results in always chasing the puck. They were easily manhandled in the corners by the powerhouse teams.

All this results in no offense.

JB and TL have to focus on making this team better and build the "D" is how to do it.

Edmonton is a bad example of how to build a team....you build it from the backend out and right now the Canucks "D" is not good enough.

Vey has a spot, and the only way he loses it is to get injured.

14 mill just got chopped with

Millers contract.... Still have kass and Tanev and leaves nothing for d depth and what the team needs a revamped 2nd line

We had 18 million of space. It was 14 million in projected space after Kass and Tanev are signed.

Archived