The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

Deniro some wicked lines there. Be fun watching that I think. Not sure about LW/RW interchangeability but I can see Matthias up on the third with Higgins and Bonino. I think that kid can play. And we could see some regular goal production from them I am sure.

Bonino has a 14 +/- Higgins was 30 +/- and Matthias was even until he came to Vancouver and played the dirges of last year. That smells like defensive responsibility but i am certain those guys can buzz the net just fine. A real kick as third line

and then a gritty grindy nasty edgy fourth with some break out speed with Richardson Vey Dorsett.

Dorseet can give is back some Raffe Torres IMHO

I do not see Tom Sestito on your list ? I wonder why ?

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Statsny Jensen

Higgins Bonino Dorsett

Matthias Richardson Vey

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Burrows Statsny Jensen

Higgins Bonino Dorsett

Matthias Richardson Vey

Hamhuis Niskanen

Edler Tanev

Sbisa Bieksa

Looks good to me. Mix of youth and veterans.

Jensen and Kassian both step into bigger roles, and Horvat spends another season in junior developing.

Gaunce, Shinkaruk, and Corrado with regular call ups.

Switch Dorsett with Vey, no?

Switch Dorsett with Vey, no?

We'll see. Still gotta see what Vey brings next season.

I might actually like to see Vey and Dorsett on the same line since they're former Tigers teammates.

Would have been nice to pry Etem out of Anaheim, then the reunion would have been complete.

Igilnia

Still a powerful force and shows little sign of aging, he will play into his 40's and still be effective just like Jagr

Scored 30 goals last season, more than any Canuck

Delivers wicked hits and drops the gloves for his team

Prototypical leader who puts in full effort every game

Both Benning and Linden made it clear they intend to inject youth. Yes Vey is younger, but that almost certainly means either or both of Horvat and Gaunce make the team. Shinkaruk will likely show well but should do one more year of junior. Likewise it's actually good that Virtanen won't make camp, because he'd likely make a strong case to stay, too. Both these guys will go back to junior and light it up, then come on in 2015. The year after that Sutton will be ready (and Bieksa's and Hamhuis' contracts ended) and perhaps McCann and Cassels. The 2015 1st will likely be ready as well.

Benning seems intent on getting into the FA pool, but with what's out there this year hopefully he doesn't sign anyone for longer than 2-3 years if possible. No need to spend to cap, keep some powder dry. Teams like Boston and Chicago are going to have to dump salary, so some cheap pickups are likely to come available.

Horvat will probably spend another year in London considering the players we have acquired and how much young talent will be brought in. Also any FA we sign or trades we make could fill another spot.

That's unless he has an excellent training camp.

Or don't spend any of our 14mil bring up some guys from Utica and in 2 years (when our prospects have a year of Nhl under their belt) go on sign decent free agents and be a true contender for the Stanley cup

Or don't spend any of our 14mil bring up some guys from Utica and in 2 years (when our prospects have a year of Nhl under their belt) go on sign decent free agents and be a true contender for the Stanley cup

I'd rather have our prospects playing with and learning from vets. That's the way to do it. It separates a team like the Oilers from a team like the Avalanche.

Any vets we can sign for 2 years or less, we should IMO. Then by that time our prospects will have been seasoned enough to take over from the vets.

I would like to see a Boyle/Niskanen signing and an Iginla/Statsny signing. If we can get one of each of these guys with the 14 mil we have, I think it would be huge for the development of our younger guys.

Moulson

Statsny

Quincey

Hiller

Hiller for 3 years max then let Lack take the reigns

I realize Statsny and Moulson are 28 and 30 respectively but they would still have a solid couple of years left and could be helpful when the young bloods are ready to go to solidify a potential run.

Benning sounds pretty confident that Vey will likely start on the 3rd, and it's just a matter of time before he is top 6.

I don't know if he has top-6 skill, but we have four wingers they should project to that (Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Kassian, Jensen) and at least two centers with equal or better ceilings (Horvat, McCann). I'm thinking he makes a good winger with Gaunce on the 3rd.

Boston is in a position where they really have to move someone. They are badly exposed to offer sheets right now on some young FA players. Don't be surprised if Vancouver and Boston get together and do something.

I think Vancouver will try and take the trade route more than signing UFA's. I think that's really why Benning has cleared more space. Lots of opportunity out there, especially since the cap fell about 2.1 million short of where it was originally projected!

I think acquiring Vey and Dorsett pushes Hansen out, so there's an extra $2.5 million freed up. Say Kassian gets $2 million and Tanev gets $3 million, we head into free agency with just over $15 million to spend.

Iginla: $4 million

Hiller: $3 million

Niskanen: (or Myers if we trade for him) $5.5 million

Sedin - Sedin - Iginla

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Niskanen/Myers

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Hiller

Lack

$2.7 million to spare.

I suspect Hansen is heading out as well.

We can sign some decent players, here is an example. If you could swing a trade for Meyers as was speculated, you still have $3 million to spare under the cap. A pretty underwhelming 2nd line, but can't really do much worse than last year... and I don't know that any of our other prospects are better options.

You could also try to live with that defence and spend the $5-7 million on another top 6 player

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Milan Michalek ($4.000m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Zack Kassian ($1.250m)

Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Kellan Lain ($0.600m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Chris Tanev ($2.250m)

Luca Sbisa ($2.175m) / Frank Corrado ($0.591m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jonas Hiller ($4.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,043,611; BONUSES: $858,333

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,956,389

I think there's something coming regarding Tyler Myers.too. I could definitely see Hansen being part of the package. Also Jim Benning and Trevor Linden have mentioned that they think Linden Vey is NHL ready, which sounds to me like they want him in the lineup. Willie Desjardins coached him in Medicine Hat and really talked him up to Benning and Linden.

I think acquiring Vey and Dorsett pushes Hansen out, so there's an extra $2.5 million freed up. Say Kassian gets $2 million and Tanev gets $3 million, we head into free agency with just over $15 million to spend.

Iginla: $4 million

Hiller: $3 million

Niskanen: (or Myers if we trade for him) $5.5 million

Sedin - Sedin - Iginla

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Vey

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

Hamhuis - Niskanen/Myers

Edler - Tanev

Sbisa - Bieksa

Hiller

Lack

$2.7 million to spare.

This is exactly what I was thinking. But I don't think Iginla would want to sign here, he is eager for a cup.

review what at 2 years? if you can get tanev to agree to long term at $3.5, the longer the better. it will be a bargain. if you only do 4 years, its that much sooner you have to give him a raise.

kassian needs a bridge deal. his agent would never let him sign at $1.5 for 4 years, and giving him more money now is too risky because he still hasn't broken out and may never.

dalpe is cheap depth that can slot in on the 4th line but has good speed, decent size and passable touch.

iginla had 30 goals last year and would have led the canucks in scoring by a fair margin. the 3 year term is to knock down the caphit. if he's willing to sign that cheap for 1 or 2 years, all the better.

boyle is a puck mover and more importantly a defenseman that's willing and able to drive the bus. i'd rather get him cheaper/shorter term, or a younger player that fits the role, but he's what's available and he'd get $6 mil plus on a 1 year from some team.

You realise we will have some great defence in the next 4 years. Unfortunately Tanev plays like a punchbag and he is in for a load of injuries in the next 4 years. That's why. Look at who we are/have drafted. We are getting physical and bigger.

Your point regarding Kassian is fair. However we run the risk of losing him if he keeps shaping up. That's my point.

You are giving Iginla too long a term.

Boyle at 37 is too old and the term at $5 is throwing money away.

You realise we will have some great defence in the next 4 years. Unfortunately Tanev plays like a punchbag and he is in for a load of injuries in the next 4 years. That's why. Look at who we are/have drafted. We are getting physical and bigger.

Your point regarding Kassian is fair. However we run the risk of losing him if he keeps shaping up. That's my point.

You are giving Iginla too long a term.

Boyle at 37 is too old and the term at $5 is throwing money away.

tanev is fine. not every player needs to be physical or play with snarl. he's like the sedins in the sense that his toughness is in the form of taking a lot of abuse and just playing through it. i have no concerns about his durability.

how do they run the risk of losing kassian? if they give him a 2 year deal he will still be an rfa when its up.

you have to give either term or cash to get players that are in demand. in jarome's case, he's proven that he can still play in spite of Hus advanced age. he always been incredibly durable and his game isn't reliant on speed, especially if he's put with the sedins. he would add a legitimate star to their line for the first time in their careers, a strong voice and leadership on the ice and in the room, and he'd do wonders to help turn around the teams image. he would also provide toughness and the way he's respected around the league would lead to the sedins being targeted less and receiving more respect themselves.

boyle is a stop gap solution. he's not my first choice but i can't think of any other legitimate right side puck movers available via trade or free agency. many people want niskanen, but he's not the guy.

Archived