The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roughly 14 million to spend on two roster spots

DeNiro

If I was Jim Benning, I'd wait to see what teams are going hard for who and try to go for a player unrecognized and possibly picked up. The popular names that I've heard lately are Niskanen, Iginla, Vanek, Boyle, Stralman, Stastny, Moulson, and now possibly Ehrhoff.

I think we should try to go for guys like Bolland, Pouliot, Legwand. Their name isn't very popular and I think we can get them between 4-5 million without having much pressure from other teams. Creating a high amount of depth will be very important make up for the lack of quality players we have. NYR didn't have elite stars but they had depth and rolled 4 lines, it was like having 3 3rd lines and just keep rolling it without struggling.

I'm not sure if we sign anyone -- generally FA leads to inflated contracts and I think we should tank a bit. We have a nice stock of young picks if we can pick up an impact player from the draft next year the future looks really bright.

I'd rather have a few years of suck and go Pittsburgh/Chi model as opposed to the CGY model.

Benning said he expects Vey to be on the roster, that's why they traded for him. If that's the case then some guys have to be moved out if we expect some youth to crack the line up.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Burrows Bonino Kass

Higgy Matthis Vey

Hansen Richardson Dorsett

Sestito

Perhaps GMJB leaves the roster this way to give the young guys a year in the AHL.

They already get younger and faster with editions of Bon, Vey and Dor and they give Hor, Shin, and the others time to develop.

Maybe move Higgy and Han at the deadline for some pics. Bring up some young dudes then.

I would not be serprised if it goes down like this. If JB go's after few free agents then Burr, Higgy and Han could be on there way out.

The D, I am fine with it. If Edler can find his brain.

Cheers!

Benning said he expects Vey to be on the roster, that's why they traded for him. If that's the case then some guys have to be moved out if we expect some youth to crack the line up.

Maybe move Higgy and Han at the deadline for some pics. Bring up some young dudes then.
I would not be serprised if it goes down like this. If JB go's after few free agents then Burr, Higgy and Han could be on there way out.

Agreed. If we sign UFAs, and bring up young guns, then I see something as follows. We have a lot of depth at C, not so much at LW. Fox is a natural C, same goes for Horvat and Vey. Consider putting either BoHo or Fox over at LW, and Vey at RW on a youth line. Trade Hansen and Burrows to create cap space and room for young guns. Make a splash at free agency by picking up Jussi Jokinen (legit top 6 LW), Matt Niskanen on D, and Greiss in G (2nd best stats for UFA goalies).
Sedin / Sedin / Jensen - Jensen showed some chemistry with twins last year, expect a rebound from twins
Jokinen / Bonino / Kassian - Legit top 6 scoring on 2nd line with energy and youth
Fox / Horvat / Vey - Top prospects with big time scoring touch - certainly BoHo and Vey are NHL ready
Higgins / Matthias / Dorsett - Grinding energy line, Mattias and Higgy can move up in case of injuries or Fox not ready yet
Richardson - Depth on C, great on PK and faceoffs
-----
Edler / Bieksa - Hope Willie gets Eddie's mojo back
Hamhuis / Niskanen - New young offensive minded D joins Hammy on right side
Sbisa / Tanev - Safe strong skater Tanev joined by big body Sbisa
Stanton / Corrado - Excellent depth 4th pair
---
Lack
Greiss - Decent G ( 2.29GAA, 0.922 SV%, 30+ games last year) splits minutes with Lack
Markstrom
Maybe lacks grinding wingers (apart from Kassian) for Pac division, but certainly has good speed and scoring touch. Strong PK and faceoff men. Potential wildcard team for 2014-2015 season.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Burrows Bonino Kass

Higgy Matthis Vey

Hansen Richardson Dorsett

Sestito

Perhaps GMJB leaves the roster this way to give the young guys a year in the AHL.

They already get younger and faster with editions of Bon, Vey and Dor and they give Hor, Shin, and the others time to develop.

The D, I am fine with it. If Edler can find his brain.

Cheers!

According to him, he needs less of it.

Defense wins Championships!

Canucks need to upgrade their "D". What we gave is not good enough.

I don't know much about Niskanen; however, if he is an offensive "D" man and good on the PP, then should have a serious look at him. It seems that all Championship teams have one. Need to have a shutdown guy like Matt Green...big and nasty that punishes guys in front of net (similar to Chara).

I'm not sure if we sign anyone -- generally FA leads to inflated contracts and I think we should tank a bit. We have a nice stock of young picks if we can pick up an impact player from the draft next year the future looks really bright.

I'd rather have a few years of suck and go Pittsburgh/Chi model as opposed to the CGY model.

Been hearing a lot of that around here lately. Suck and get high picks for a few years.

Can you imagine the Lamentations and Gnashing of teeth if we did??!! Especially on CDC. There would be riots..

Better for all concerned that we bring along the kids and ice a competitive team. Draft size and truculence, dispose of diminishing assets for picks(or maybe even an outright salary dump), hello Jason Garrison...and play the free agency market.

Niskanen is intriguing, for sure.

And sad to say Hansen is done here, sad to see, his hands of stone betray him finally. :(

If we do sign any UFA's we should only look at top4 D or top6 players, because we have a literal boat load of middle 6 guys waiting to get ice time.

I'm starting to think we should have Jensen in Utica to start the season. He might be better served trying to get 18 mins a night there while we sort out or forward groups.

We need 1 LW to round out our lineup and I wouldn't mind seeing Horvat in that spot, but if we can land a good UFA or move Burrows to Left wing then we would be set.

Clayton Stoner and Willie Mitchell both Port McNeill boys...big and strong and both are UFAs. They both know each other well and they know how to box out the other teams forwards. Add Niskanen and give some young guns forwards a chance. Trade burrows and Hansen for picks or a top six forward if possible. No peripheral players...Booth if he wasn't paid so much would have been a keeper, but then again he was always hurt.

We also have to sign Vey for around $1m.

My estimation of what this team looks like without any other trades is something like this.

We have about $10mil in cap with a full roster, plus or minus any traded contracts. It doesn't seem like we have roster spots for any free agents unless we move players out.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER

CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Linden Vey ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($2.500m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Chris Tanev ($3.500m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(estimations for 2014-15)

SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,612,778; BONUSES: $8,333

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $10,387,222

how do i upload my armchair team onto here?

For fun,

still don't have a true second line centre but all lines are capable of loggin minutes and putting up some points.

Sign Cammi 5milX4

Sign Miller 6.25milX2 - overpay for shorter term

Trade for Myers - Tanev, Hansen, Jensen

APGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Mike Cammalleri ($5.000m) / Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Zack Kassian ($2.000m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Linden Vey ($1.000m)
Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Tyler Myers ($5.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Ryan Stanton ($0.550m)
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ryan Miller ($6.250m)
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
BUYOUTS
David Booth ($0.000m)
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,193,611; BONUSES: $858,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $806,389

Archived